tuffy install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
ok, spent a good day on the raffle rig today. in addition to getting extended brake lines on, fixing a bad fitting, completely flushing and filling the system, installing a rear tuffy drawer system, and new shifter bushings, we installed a tuffy center console in the 62. seems there are a few threads on how to get one to fit in with the oem heater below it...here's our solution

one nice thing is that the rear oem mount and the front hole are level, so we drilled the tuffy to match those. for the rear heater switch, we found that it wedged solidly under the front left corner. picture's kinda crappy, but you get the jist. we mounted it all the way back and only had to mildly bend the rear heater control. there's no interference with the shifter. we could not put the cup holder in the original front slot, so we debated between mounting it seperately on the tunnel next to the shifter, but decided to put it behind and let the winner of the rig decide what he/she/i want to do with it. ;)
installed.JPG
switch.JPG
rear.JPG

some side shots to show clearance
side.JPG
clearance.JPG
DSC01031.JPG

here are the measurements they took
scan0001.jpg

I hope you can reinstall the passenger seat now, Ige! How did the rear cargo box install go? Have any interesting measurment pics of that install?? ;) Sounds as if you and the boys had a fun, head-scratching and productive day yesterday. Good job.
:bounce:

looks like a good install. it shifts normally and doesn't hit i assume? sure some 62 guys would find this useful.

curious if you can post up pictures of the rear drawer. haven't seen it installed and curious about size/look/etc.

thanks!

passenger seat install should be no problem as the tuffy is just about as wide as the stock console. sits on top of the heater perfectly.

the rear drawer system is tiny in the back of the 62. leaves about 12 inches on each side. that's why we have to put a top over it to finish off the floor, so it doesn't look like it's sitting out in the middle of nowhere. will be handy for sticking longer items in also as the cover will go all teh way to the back of the seat, where the tuffy leaves a gap.

Man, give a girl what she asks for and the first thing out of her mouth is "It's tiny". :cool: No worries Ige, the area that isn't secured by the Tuffy box will still be useable with RockRunner's platform plan and available space will be accessible.

steve honey...i'm not touching that one ;)

So, aside from the extra holes drilled in the tuffy box, this required no extra mounts? The 012 on Tuffy's site seems to have some sort of extra mounting bracket on the bottom. Is that an extra piece that you just didn't add?

I installed the mounting bracket on the Tuffy in my FJ60. Although I don't use it as a mount, and it actually doesn't really touch the floor (it hovers just above the carpet). However, it does provide a more finished look to the unit. I also installed a cigarette lighter receptacle in the bracket facing towards the back seat. it provides receptacle access for the back seat without taking up space inside the tuffy box. The top picture in the post below shows the bracket installed, but you can't see the cigarette lighter receptacle.

IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - FJ60 center console ,any aftermarket Ideas

Very nice! Been wanting to get a tuffy, always thought you had to bag the rear heater, guess not;) Nice install!

I guess that this question relates. How important is that rear heater? There is one in both of our 60's (I know, its not in the same place as a 62) and we never use them. And, we live in Montana so it is adequately cold. From my limited experience, I would say to 62 people "screw the rear heater and have a Tuffy AND cup holders. I would imagine that if the rear heater was removed, you could put that Tuffy about anywhere you wanted and have cup holders up front where the Cruiser Gods intended them to be.

Hmm, good question.

I use the rear heat/AC in my 60 here in NM.... for the comfort of K9s. I do notice a temp change when used (as long as I keep floorboard cleared out on that side)

OK. Because of the heater, I don't think the tuffy mounting feet will fit.

I guess my question is... is the mounting feet on the Tuffy something that can just be removed, or is it welded to the box? This posts makes it look relatively easy to put a Tuffy in a 62, just making sure I'm not missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom