Chopped ARB deluxe winch bull bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have decided to shortened my 100 series ARB bumper by 3.5". The total length is now 5.5", down from 9.0" from grill to front end).

Since this IFS deluxe winch bull bar was designed to carry 15k or 12K winch motor, there are plently of space around my 8000i Warn winch.

This is the second modified I made to my ARB front bumper, the first one involved removing the top half of bull bar, leaving the lower bull bar in place. Deers is seldom seen around here....

However my ARB front bumper is sticking out too much, almost like a Pinnincho's nose and it rubbed againist the rocks & trees sooner than I like to.

So here is photos before and after modification to my ARB front bumper.

Cheers,

Last edited:
That looks great, Snook! I've always wondered if it could be easily done. Well... how difficult was it? Details please?

The only thing to be aware of that I can see is if you give your bar a bump on the corner, it may flex in and ding your panels without doing anything to the bar, making it worthless in this situation.

Looks good!!! Can you still (stupid question otherwise you wouldn't have cut it down ;) ) easily access the winch lock from top?

That looks great, Snook! I've always wondered if it could be easily done. Well... how difficult was it? Details please?

Thanks, Poser.

Here are some photos during the bumper modifications with my comments.

I have done some direct works to my M416 trailer such as adding tailgate and fender protection then two custom bumpers by Amando and me for his truck so it gives me an edge (and confidence), I guessed.

Cheers,

Last edited:
The only thing to be aware of that I can see is if you give your bar a bump on the corner, it may flex in and ding your panels without doing anything to the bar, making it worthless in this situation.

Good point. It depend on where the bumper hit, side is the most likely to flex. A sheet of metal has to warp under three tons but it can be minized with additional internal brackets and ribs which I am going to add. I want this bumper to serve as a frontal slider when need!

Looks good!!! Can you still (stupid question otherwise you wouldn't have cut it down ;) ) easily access the winch lock from top?

Yes, three access panels is smaller, about 2 inches of open access panels is now underneath the grill, leaving four inches left.

But on the other hand, since the Warn controller box won't fit in middle access panel anymore, it was moved to internal left bumper. So the middle access panel is now much more opening, no more blocking by controller box!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hey, you added recovery points! Do you have a pic of what you did to the rear of the bumper?

Hey, you added recovery points! Do you have a pic of what you did to the rear of the bumper?

Here is a photo of recovery point during mock-up fitting.

Those long steel bars is connected to the frame directly, with high grade bolts as mentioned. No welding, just too unpredictable.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Nice Jay! Now you've added another bit o'candy to my frigg'n list of to do's for mine...just when I thought I was making the list a lil'shorter :flipoff2:

I actually think the chances of that happening would be reduced, as you have now effectively lessened the length of the lever arm.

The distance between the mounting point and the corner of the bar has not changed, if you look at the photos, the bar is very close to the front corner under the indicator. this is the point that I thought may be a problem if you bump a tree or rock, the bar has no room to flex.

I actually think the chances of that happening would be reduced, as you have now effectively lessened the length of the lever arm.

Good point. It depend on where the bumper hit, side is the most likely to flex. A sheet of metal has to warp under three tons but it can be minized with additional internal brackets and ribs which I am going to add. I want this bumper to serve as a frontal slider when need!

The distance between the mounting point and the corner of the bar has not changed, if you look at the photos, the bar is very close to the front corner under the indicator. this is the point that I thought may be a problem if you bump a tree or rock, the bar has no room to flex.

Yes, the distance between the mounting point and corner of the bar do remained the same but on other hand, not only the ARB bracket is 3.5" shorter, the side bar is also 3.5" shorter so there is "less" leverage this time by 7".

And most of all the upper sheet metal of ARB bumper remained uncutted so it is still very stiff as the original. There are open gap of 1/2" all around for the bumper to move around if any.

The length of the side wings is now shorter (front to rear). Shorter lever arm. In my experience, it's coming down on a rock and hitting the wings and bending them up that is the problem. ARB's "five-fold corner" probably helps, but the sheet metal is still pretty thin out there... Jay's mod should help out as well.

BTW, Kaymar rear bumpers have this exact same problem. The wings are so long and virtually unsupported, that they easily bend up into the sheet metal of the body when you come down on a boulder. Don't ask me how I know. I have a 4x4 Labs rear now (on the 80).

Jay, great work! Wanna do the same to my bumper? :cool:

Those recovery points are great. Toyota should had something like as option from the factory.

I need to talk to someone around these parts that could build some.

How hard to fabricate and sell some? Or maybe slee could build and sell.

Thanks,

uzj100

Those recovery points are great. Toyota should had something like as option from the factory.

I need to talk to someone around these parts that could build some.

How hard to fabricate and sell some? Or maybe slee could build and sell.

Thanks,

uzj100

The LC/LX market for this recovery product is too small for someone like Slee to sell with any profit left PLUS a liablity if this product "failed" not because of design or defective but due to a poor method of recovery.

I don't know if this recovery point set up will work with different 100 series ARB bumper models like Safari. My deluxe ARB bumpers comes with open slots that allow me to insert the solid steel bars with little modification.

My front recovery point is a bit overkill in design because I rather not have a mentally of crossing my finger during the worst case pullout. :)

Cheers,

I came down on the front PS corner of my ARB on my 80(not out at the end of the wing, where it turns the corner) and flexed the entire bar up to the point that it dented both fenders and the valence panel under the grill and headlights. It can't get any weaker than it already is short of just being a stock bumper, but without adding reinforcements, its not gonna get any stronger either.

nice work Jay! looks great and I really like that W control plug- very cool idea. Look fwd to seeing it in person :)

Ok, here are photos that show what the access looks like after 3.5" cut-out. Two strips of metals was cutted out so it is one large panel access instead of three small panel access.

And the recovery points is now primed then spray with semigloss black.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom