Where to tap a 60 box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool man, I hope to have my hydro assist in, in about 2 weeks...

Full kit because of lack of time and not wanting to hassle on finding the right parts...Plus its my birthday and I dont have to pay for it.;)

P.S. dint know you could tap the 60 box like that. I am running an 80 series box and tapped it like the IFS....cool to know.

Be careful how you mount that welded ram...
You'll want to oppositely twist the tie-rod ends so the tie rod won't torque, a buddy ran a welded one like that the side load from a rotating tie rod scored the inside of the ram to beyond usable within a year...

P.S. dint know you could tap the 60 box like that. I am running an 80 series box and tapped it like the IFS....cool to know.

IFS, 80 series, 60 series they're all about the same (cept for reverse rotation on the IFS box) ... same tapping points and pitman arms work. Just a useful FYI...

Last edited:
Be careful how you mount that welded ram...
You'll want to oppositely twist the tie-rod ends so the tie rod won't torque, a buddy ran a welded one like that the side load from a rotating tie rod scored the inside of the ram to beyond usable within a year...

Can you run that by me again....I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I understand why the side load messed it up,but what do I want to do with the tie-rod? oppositely twist it?

Can you run that by me again....I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I understand why the side load messed it up,but what do I want to do with the tie-rod? oppositely twist it?

If the tie rod ends are aligned, the whole tie-rod can rotate. If you loosen the jam nuts and oppositely twist the body of the TRE's as much as possible, this rotation is limited.

This pic from the trail-gear install guide somewhat illustrates what I'm talking about.
hydro-assist-rotate-225.jpg

If you have a crossover setup where the draglink connects to a tie-rod end or the tie-rod, this is a common practice to reduce slop in the steering, as the draglink will rotate the tie-rod a few degrees before actually steering left or right.

None of this is a huge deal with a heimed ram, but I'm just trying to caution brokenparts to be careful installin that ram, as my buddy was not and his ram did not last very long.

Gottcha...Thanks for the info, I have marlin hy-steer steers which are identical the TGs. I hope to have my ram by next weekend.

P.S. you making it to Tellico? for GSMTR...

If the tie rod ends are aligned, the whole tie-rod can rotate. If you loosen the jam nuts and oppositely twist the body of the TRE's as much as possible, this rotation is limited.

This pic from the trail-gear install guide somewhat illustrates what I'm talking about.
hydro-assist-rotate-225.jpg

If you have a crossover setup where the draglink connects to a tie-rod end or the tie-rod, this is a common practice to reduce slop in the steering, as the draglink will rotate the tie-rod a few degrees before actually steering left or right.

None of this is a huge deal with a heimed ram, but I'm just trying to caution brokenparts to be careful installin that ram, as my buddy was not and his ram did not last very long.

I appreciate that info alot!

Gottcha...Thanks for the info, I have marlin hy-steer steers which are identical the TGs. I hope to have my ram by next weekend.

P.S. you making it to Tellico? for GSMTR...

Should be there at least starting monday...

You sure you don't need me to show you the way up there? :flipoff2: :whoops:

Where are you gonna be camped? I'll come find ya so we can go run helicopter pad and guardrail.

Sounds awesome I am game for all and any trails. Ill be camped down from the trail 5ish....Not right by trail five but a ways down, haha thats best I can decribe that....just look for the cheese.

I'll be there from friday to friday.

See ya soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom