Black wheel variation, Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I'm getting ready to get some new tires, so I was pulling the (undersized) spare out from under the truck today, and i figured I'd do something a little different w/ the Black wheel look. Mind you, this is just a quickie job to see if i like it better than solid black. So if you guys think it's cool, i may do the rest like this, but better. Basically, it's only different, in that I left the windows and grooves in the lx450 wheel dark gray like they are stock.

okay, check it out. what do you think? (i wet the wheel down to make the gray part look better, since i sanded it a little)

dsc01025jd0.jpg

dsc01023op2.jpg

dsc01026bk6.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, i noticed that after i posted up. I'm in the process of resizing now.

I like the solid black better.

It would touch up easier too.

I am doing solid flat black when I actually get a bug to paint mine.

yeah, i'm leaning toward solid black. Leaving the gray is pretty labor intensive. I just think this way would look better w/ the black over gray on my truck.

Total opposite from mine.
Originally all bling chrome when I got it. Painted the windows and stripe in the spokes. Trying to keep the original LX rim theme.
It is more labor compared to just painting it all black. I would recommend priming if youre working with chrome. Hammer black.
vbpgimage.jpg

mine are alloys. I cleaned it really good, sanded it, primed it, and then painted. this was just a test on the spare, so i wasn't terribly concerned w/ it coming out perfect. I kinda like the gloss.

I really like it!!

First time I've seen this effect. The gray really makes for a good contrast with the black. Who cares if it's labor-intensive, looks good and........you'll be a little different.

Okay, I think I'm going to go this route. I really like the look of it, I just need to find someone who's good at taping stuff off. any suggestions?

done.

Well, I'm finally done w/ the wheels and got the new tires on. I went w/ 35 x 12.50-16 Super Swamper SSR radials. I added about 1000 airsoft high density pellets to each tire, and they are smooth as glass. These are actually smoother and quieter (for now) than my cooper discoverer s/t's were. I didn't do the black and gray thing, it was just too damn much trouble taping it off. Anyway, i'm highly pleased w/ the results. I took it out to a parking lot this afternoon to give it a little flex and see if there's any rubbing. There isn't! They tuck nicely into the wheel well. Okay, here are some shots of it.

warning!!! Poser test shots!!!

trucktwistep6.jpg

another, more to come...
tiretuckzi5.jpg

damn, that's sexy!!!:smokin:
dsc01029rb8.jpg

dsc01031aa2.jpg

me like it! That's what I should do? Did you do it yourself? Tell us more.

Is your lexi color black or dark gray?

the lexus is black over gray. I did the painting myself, while the old tires were on. I just cleaned them, sanded them, ran em over w/ a tack cloth and then some mineral spirits. after that, it was just priming and painting. I used the duplicolor color match black for toyota 202. I really like the way it looks. especially the third pic. gives me chills.

nah, it's already black. It doesn't need to be shiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom