Land Cruising Nevada 2015 "are you driving a Subaru or a land cruiser" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I could see those in the dropbox.

Sounds like an awesome trip. I love northern Nevada.

The next morning we woke up to a beautiful day. The sun was shining and the clouds were gone! We had been chased by rain clouds all day yesterday and we hoped that today would be clear. So far so good. I told the guys that i called ahead and ordered up a beautiful day.....

IMG_0715.JPG

DSC00682.JPG

Cameron cooked up some really great breakfast. We ate, made some coffee and then chatted about solar panels.

DSC00684.JPG

After that, we broke camp and hit the road. Today's trek would take us to the site where they have the burning man festival. I was super excited. Pasquale and me had brought our Traxxas RC trucks to race across the desert and i really was excited to get to this epic place and get out the RC trucks for some fun.

DSC00703.JPG

It was crazy to see some old abandoned (at least i assumed they were) ranch houses out here. I just thought it was crazy.

DSC00699.JPG

We finally reached the exit off the main road that takes you out to the desert flats.... playa. I was really bummed when we hit the playa at how wet it was. There was no way we were driving on the playa, we would spend the rest of the week just trying to get back off the playa. So, we got as far on as we could to take a few poser shots and then played with the RC trucks a bit.

DSC00685.JPG

DSC00686.JPG

DSC00690.JPG

What i was told at Planet X pottery is that they have had unbelievable amounts of rain lately... IN fact, they said that the average annual precipitation out there is around 6 inches a year. They had received 4 inches in the last 3 days!! So it was wet!

DSC00707.JPG

Last edited:
After i sheared the rear wheel off my traxxas by hitting a few jumps at full speed... i mean, why not right?! That's what they are made for; we packed the muddy RC's up and hit the road again. we were going to pass through an area called Soldier's Meadow and head further up into the high desert.

DSC00720.JPG

DSC00737.JPG

It's worth noting that i got a nice sample of this clay that is on the playa. It's like concrete when it dries. My Chaca sandals were at least 10 lbs each after walking around out there and i spent 10 minutes with a stick just trying to get them manageable. I finally gave up and just put them in a trash back and tossed them back into the truck.

DSC00751.JPG

Last edited:
Great pics Alex. It captures the transition from good weather to bad, and good roads to bad. Well done.

Here's a shot of the Copper Mtns, when we were on our way in to the tiny town of Jarbidge:
CopperMtns.jpg

I'm pretty sure Alex got some pics of the town itself, but here's a little info about it:
Jarbidge.jpg

Earlier in the trip we drove up to this cool mountain top called New York Peak. This shot gives you an idea of all the elevation changes we kept making throughout our trip. We started the morning in the playa down below, and ended up back down there a few hours later.
NYpeak.jpg

After traveling and seeing some wildlife (mule deer, prong horned antelope and some grouse) it was Pasquale's turn to cook lunch. Today's menu included sausage sandwiches with roasted red peppers, garlic and onions on fresh buns.... in fact, these were the last existing buns in fresh market that Pasquale got before Cameron could find them :)

DSC00800.JPG

DSC00759.JPG

DSC00769.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Last edited:
After lunch we continued following our GPS tracks that Dan had given us up further into the high desert.

DSC00806.JPG

I have to say, after earlier indicating i was disappointed we couldn't drive on the playa because of how wet it was, it was also a huge benefit to see just how green the desert could be. we were actually very privileged to see this greenery as it really doesn't happen often at all.

DSC00813.JPG

The further we traveled the greener it got. The sage brush smelled amazing. The flowers and cactus were blooming and as you drove it smelled like you were in a day spa!! It was absolutely refreshing. I joked that evening that every so often i liked to brush the cruiser up against the sage just to freshen up the smell every so often.

DSC00815.JPG

DSC00811.JPG

As we drove the rain clouds started developing and we were surrounded by storms.

We spotted our first wild horse.

DSC00804.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Alex.

As the pictures will attest, NorCal eats better on the trail than they do at home.

:lol:

[caveat: Beno eats better on NorCal trips than he does the rest of the year :lol: ]

Great photos and video Alex!!!

Glad they are working! I had the new camera set on burst mode, so that's why there are a lot of repeat pictures, but at the same time i find that in a group like that there is usually at least one that turns out better than the others.

Also, i mentioned this on the trip, the new iPhone6 takes incredible video! The image stabilization that it has really works, and it works really well.

I'll finish uploading them all and then take another stab at a trip report if i can link them correctly.

We continued on after lunch heading for a camp spot location that Dan had provided on the GPS. We were really starting to get up out of the low desert and the mountain views began to get more and more large.

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

We finally reached the place that we would be camping that night. This spot was up towards the top of a nice mountain ridge, but not too high. We were concerned about temperatures and wind, but this place turned out to be nice.

IMG_0749.JPG

we set up camp, had some IPA's and then some wine. We were treated that night to Tom making some amazing crab cakes and Caesar salad.

IMG_0753.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like such an awesome trip.

DSC00522.JPG

Let me know if you see the picture above?

Perfect

Just before dark we pulled out the binoculars and glassed the surrounding mountains. I saw some prong horned antelope just above us staring down at us.

After discussing Cam's fascination with these gigantic stallion poo piles, we all hit the sack and got a good night sleep.

The next morning we woke up to a beautiful sunrise. It was my turn to make breakfast so i whipped up some turkey chili omelets. Of course, my luck, it started to rain during breakfast and I was glad that i had the awning. We packed up and jumped back on the trail.

DSC00842.JPG

At this point it was really getting muddy. There were dark storm clouds surrounding us all day. It was crazy since I thought at any time we would get hammered by a storm, but we didn't. You could see the rain all around us when we crested ridges and occasionally were treated to bolts of lightning.

We arrived at a really tall mountain called NY peak. Dan's coordinates said this was a great place to camp so we decided to head up and check it out. The view was amazing and the temps were refreshing.

DSC00855.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

On the way up NY peak there was a cool artsy sundial that someone had installed.

DSC00860.JPG

Last edited:
During this day's trip we passed through some of the most amazing scenery of the entire trip in my opinion, and i think most of the guys would agree.

A few spots, with the huge granite outcrops looked almost lord of the rings ish..

DSC00867.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

DSC00874.JPG

DSC00877.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom