BJ60's DO NOT GET 30MPG. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think a better statement would be ,what mpg you get daily driving. Mike

I think a BJ60 can get 30 MPG, but not in daily driving and never if you drive according to the speed limits in Texas.

My experience from HDJ 80 (manuall tranny of course) is everything from 18 MPG to 31 MPG. It all depends on the speed. Driving in Norway with most speed limits in the 45-55 range you get good milage, also in everyday driving. Driving in Texas and doing 75 MPH on the freeways will probably get you down to 19-20 MPG with stock everything. With my LX450, stock, I get 14,5-15,0 MPG driving Wichita falls-DFW area and back (mostly 75 mph), have tested it several times. The LX470 I had, also stock, I got 15,0-15,5 doing mostly 75 MPH on the same trip. My 2012 Ram with cummins give me about 16 on the same trip and I'm pretty sure my HDJ 80 will give me 19-20.

On my daily commute with my HDJ 80 I would probably have got 23-26 MPG. 12 miles one way mostly 60 MPH and just a few redlights. With my LX450 I get 14,5-16,0. But it depends, down to 14,5 in very hot or a little cold weather, 16 in the spring and fall when the temperature is nice.

This summer I did a 3500 miles roadtrip in Norway with my HDJ. Drove from Oslo to Alta through Sweden. Was doing some 75 MPH driving but also some a little slower, average on 1500 miles was 19,8 MPG. Drove back through Norway on the "fantastic" roads and speed limits we have there, many mountain passes but speed never over 55 and often down in the low 40s behind some slow tourists, also a lot of overtaking. Put the truck on a scale and it showed 6400 lbs (2900kg) with the family and gear in. I got an average of 26,5 MPG.

So it all comes down to where you drive and the speed limits where you live.

The trouble is that people use their speedo to get the figures
Most speedos read 10% or more on the high side.

ummm, take a look at some of the new cars for sale in farming areas in Canada. some still post both l/100 and mpg ... you think they are using US mileage?:rolleyes:
L/100km. Nobody actually uses imperial gallons.

The trouble is that people use their speedo to get the figures
Most speedos read 10% or more on the high side.

Speedos are not accurate,but odometers are ìf you are running stock tyre size. Thís ís a lot to do with warrantys on vehicles when they are new.
All 3 òf my 7* seeries were within 1% with factory tyre size. My Triumph motorcycle also hás similar accuracy.
Not to say it doesnt drift with age.

here is the issue as i see it.
the Cruisers were designed originally for Japan market. speed limit 80k/h
then they come to North America were we drive 100-140 k/h.
we also lift and modify, load them down, buck head winds and then bitch they don't get the fuel economy they should.
In Alberta a HDJ81 returned between 19 and 25 mpg CAN. In rural ontario that same vehicle will return 28-31 mpg CAN.
In Alberta you have long stretches of highway that face into the prevailing winds, bucking a head wind.
In Ontario we have strong winds but the duration bucking the wind is shorter.
it comes down to where you live and how you drive.

slow down and fuel economy goes up. sadly most just want to get there ... yesterday.

Years ago I drove Henry Brimmer's HJ60 from Moab to Las Vegas. A little bit of interstate, a lot of back roads and a lot of BLM dirt roads too. Not babying it, having fun in the dirt and even mud when we hit some snow and cruising at 65+ on the interstate when we got there. Averaged 27 mpg for the trip. no doubt in my mind I could have hit 30mpg if economy had been my goal.

I have never spent much time driving BJ60s. But from what little I have, they would have to get about 50 mpg to make it worth putting up with the lack of power and acceleration. ;)

Mark...

ummm, take a look at some of the new cars for sale in farming areas in Canada. some still post both l/100 and mpg ... you think they are using US mileage?:rolleyes:

They're trying to be sneaky and let people think that the vehicles they sell get better mileage than they actually do. The vast majority of people probably have no idea that there is more than one type of gallon when they're looking at fuel consumption figures.

next time i am around a stealership i will post up the tag.
it is in CND gallons.
but, yes, we all know even Toyota misrepresents the fuel economy to the public.

I was originally referring to several ads I've seen here and in the states for BJ60's. The ads say "30MPG!"

This is not representative of the ownership experience at all. Why put up a bogus MPG claim? Unless you include a bunch of fine print like this:

This claim is in reference to highway travel at 60 kph. Tests were conducted at 20 degrees with favorable wind conditions and on a downhill course. While not under acceleration, the vehicle was turned off.

My experience is based on my father's NEW Bj60, driving mostly highway. He was a pretty mellow dude as well, so he wasn't driving with his foot to the floor. His BJ60 was stock. He got 25 mpg.

i can understand your frustration then... false advertising has been around since the first production car rolled off the line ... probably.

I dont think mileage was a major concern when the first Model T rolled off the assembly line.

My 42 when it was shiny new off the showroom floor was in the 28-32 range now with age it suffers from brake drag, worn clutch , fouled injectors , increased drag from the rust holes I know she will not see that kind of mileage anymore but I still love her.

Model T sales:
why ride a horse? you never have to feed this vehicle, you can drive it hard and put away wet. no vet fees, ever. never throw another shoe. never buy another saddle.
cheap cheap cheap!!

I'm talking mixed driving. You do have to leave the highway once in a while. Stock vehicle in US mpg

Have no idea about US mpg, this isn't the USA. But I had no trouble getting 28 -30mpg on my mostly highway, flat southwestern ontario diving with 235/75/15 tires, a healthy 3B and a turbo w/H55F.

Maybe not in altitude or regularly mountain driving of course but I wouldn't throw a blanket statement out there. Seeing as BJ60s were never offered in the states it seem silly rate them in US Mpg.

I know I'm going to be told I'm doing it wrong, but when I first got my truck I got around 30-31 mpg on a road trip across California. Keep in mind this is a 2B in a 44 and I drove like a grandma, keeping it around 55-60 mph. I used GPS for mileage and averaged the fill up volumes across 5 tanks. Once I turboed, lifted and 33'ed, I was still getting 27mpg highway with summer fuel.

I know from my time in an FJ60, the 60 is a completely different beast with the same engine. I was able to get 17mpg after some mods and tuning with my FJ60 so I feel that driving habits go a long way.

Newsflash, VW TDi's don't get 70mpg either.

Yes you will find these claims all over the internet. Best described as "one night stand" fuel economy.

The average landcruiser drinks 12-14 litres/100km. Sure you can get 10 litres/100km from many of them, if you drive them empty on the highway at speeds a grandmother would complain about.

But who buys a landcruiser to drive slowly and unloaded on the highway?

This is why sites like Fuelly and Spritmonitor.de are so good. It's brainless logging of totals and averages and does the maths for you. Real world data which often directly contradicts the figures posted in for-sale ads on the internet.
Operator error is also a great contributor to BS claims. It was recently on here we had a poster bragging of 30 mpg (US). Further scrutiny showed maths errors and an actual result of 17 mpg (US).

actually,
some of us do drive in the slow lane on the highway for long distances. we plan our drives accordingly.
the older cruisers, pre 100 series, were designed for 90 k/h cruising and that is where you will find the best fuel economy.
it is our rushed modern lifestyles that force us to want to go fast.

But who buys a landcruiser to drive slowly and unloaded on the highway?

actually,
some of us do drive in the slow lane on the highway for long distances. we plan our drives accordingly.
the older cruisers, pre 100 series, were designed for 90 k/h cruising and that is where you will find the best fuel economy.
it is our rushed modern lifestyles that force us to want to go fast.

Quite right. My '89 LC has 16" wheels and 90kph indicated is 100 kph on the road. I get a consistent 10 l/100km summer highway driving cruising at 90 on the speedometer. That seems to be the 'sweet spot'. There's really no need to drive faster.

So if you want to drive unloaded on the highway. Why do you drive a landcruiser?

You'd get even better economy with lower servicing costs with a compact car. Buy a VW tdi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom