Windshield sealant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi group . I'm getting safelite to replace my windshield . I want to make sure I have the sealent that is recommended . I can't remember what I used last time but it really worked good . It was black and I got it at lowes . I think it has like a 7 day curing time . The good people on this group told me what to get . Does anyone know what the name if the sealent is ? I got bigger tube that you put in the gun type holder . Thanks .

They need to use polyurethane. I highly recommend having them use the sikaflex mentioned above.

The most critical thing is having safelite glue the gasket to the windshield and the also glue the gasket to the body all the way around.

Don't let fakelite tell you that the gasket isn't designed to be glued to the body or tell you that polyurethane is wrong.

The last windshield I had replaced this is what happened. "I have been doing windshields for 40 years and no windshield gasket is supposed to be glues to the glass and body."

Than why is it leaking?... I finally found a guy who was willing to follow the fsm instructions and no more leaks...

The last windshield I had replaced this is what happened. "I have been doing windshields for 40 years and no windshield gasket is supposed to be glues to the glass and body."

I mean... For almost everything but Landcruisers he's right. These are kind of a weird exception, that's why it's useful to print out the pertinent FSM pages. The tough part is getting an installer that will read it.

They need to use polyurethane. I highly recommend having them use the sikaflex mentioned above.

The most critical thing is having safelite glue the gasket to the windshield and the also glue the gasket to the body all the way around.

Don't let fakelite tell you that the gasket isn't designed to be glued to the body or tell you that polyurethane is wrong.

Than why is it leaking?... I finally found a guy who was willing to follow the fsm instructions and no more leaks...

Argh! I recall watching the Safelight guy replace the windshield on our FZJ80 some years ago, somehow I recall the gasket appeared in two parts an outer and an inner. Looking at the FSM this is not the case. If I get a new gasket is there a way to replace it by de-installing the windshield or does the windshield break on the way out?

Argh! I recall watching the Safelight guy replace the windshield on our FZJ80 some years ago, somehow I recall the gasket appeared in two parts an outer and an inner. Looking at the FSM this is not the case. If I get a new gasket is there a way to replace it by de-installing the windshield or does the windshield break on the way out?
The guy who did mine was able to pull the windshield and replace the gasket twice without breaking. But he did give me the disclaimer that he was not responsible if it did break.

I've had a local company decline to work on my LC because I told them about the proper way and I got the same BS about doing windshields for 20 years......

Don't settle for anything less than the right way.

Ok, I suspect that means replacing the moulding/gasket - so that is on my parts list.

Thanks - there will be someone around here willing to do it correctly, I just have to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom