This is probably going to be very unliked, but this is just like my opinion man. This is my issue with the LC250 (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is a "regular" LC?

When the 80 came out...blasphemy
When the 100 came out....
When the 200 came out.....

We (US) should tell the rest of the world what a "real LC", and they better comply!

Back to my first cup of coffee :)
Well, I am 55 and have lived in multiple countries other than the US.

Please ask somebody from Australia or the Middle East or Africa or South America and they all know the difference between a Land Cruiser and a Prado.

So not sure why you think firstly I am US or telling the world something. Your reaction seems through US glasses, I know in my case it is not. I only lived in the US 12 years of my 55.

Please ask somebody from Australia or the Middle East or Africa or South America and they all know the difference between a Land Cruiser and a Prado.

So not sure why you think firstly I am US or telling the world something. Your reaction seems through US glasses, I know in my case it is not. I only lived in the US 12 years of my 55.
It's almost as though the Land Cruiser 250 is specific to the US car market and not anywhere else for a reason

It's almost as though the Land Cruiser 250 is specific to the US car market and not anywhere else for a reason
Correct

What I have learned following these conversations is that government policies and rules around fuel consumption ratings and penalties for non compliance has pushed Toyota to not bring the LC300 to the US and only sell the high $$$ LX600

It also clear Toyota can market and use names as they wish.

It remains that bringing out a new Yaris as a Corolla would raise eyebrows and be seen as pretty ridiculous. Now the large public not knowing much about cars maybe ok with it and in the Prado case many in the US are unaware, the world in the 21st century is a lot smaller though.

And now Toyota has brought out a new 4Runner of similar size, same engine and same tow capability.

So for me the Land Cruiser has not returned to the US shores. It is a Prado we got and with its reduced capabilities. No longer the King of All Roads.

Now if you like the looks and the size it may just be perfect for you,

I’ve been to 3 out of those 4 regions and seen plenty of Prado’s on the road with many of them having obviously been worked harder than most trucks and SUV’s you see here in America. We can sit here and talk semantics all day but the Prado IS the light duty variant of the Land Cruiser and has had the same reputation as it’s siblings for being a stout, capable, and reliable vehicle.

I’ve been to 3 out of those 4 regions and seen plenty of Prado’s on the road with many of them having obviously been worked harder than most trucks and SUV’s you see here in America. We can sit here and talk semantics all day but the Prado IS the light duty variant of the Land Cruiser and has had the same reputation as it’s siblings for being a stout, capable, and reliable vehicle.
Agree with all what you say. The Prado of the past has its own good reputation and the new one is likely going to carry that name forward, especially the diesel version available in most parts of the world. Unfortunately the I4 turbo hybrid and now Diesels with DPF and adblue systems will require more TLC and complex work to repair. Just do not like the name trick and screaming out on the internet the "Legendary Land Cruiser" is back. They do not fool me doing so.

I see a business opportunity to make "Its a Prado" stickers for real Land Cruiser owners so they can give that to the new LC250 owners they may meet. Maybe I am starting to like what Toyota did... :cool:

Last edited:
I just watched Doug Demuro video of TRD pro 4Runner. Agreed that it’s looking good. All The styling changes are winners IMO.
Interior is great too. The dash display is really cool, for example.
Demuro is somewhat baffled by the overlap with this model and Land Cruiser, not to mention the GX and Sequoia.
4Runner and Land Cruiser have same power train, almost identical in size and off road features and likely to be close in price too. He expects 4Runner to be a bit less expensive. Doug was hoping 4Runner would be smaller with removable top.
Yeah, that’s the only problem with 4Runner-too big!

I'm not sure why, but that guy annoys me.

I agree.. they should have called it the Land Cruiser Prado instead of passing it off as a regular Land Cruiser. It makes the real Land Cruiser name look like a mid Grade product instead of the top end product Americans expect.

Agree. It will certain be a very good product, but I don't like Toyota playing off of the LC's name and rep to peddle cheaper cars. I really wanted a LC 300 so I went with the LX 600, but kept the green 200 around because I just can't give it up.

If Toyota named the 250 something else, would everyone then be happy?
If Toyota offered the 300 series in US, would everyone be happy? Oh wait, they do. It's the GX 550. Let's see what the sales numbers for the Lexus are compared to the 250.

Admittedly, if I was a rich guy looking for a new "Land Cruiser", the GX would probably be my choice. Of course, then I'd eagerly await for the aftermarket to come up with a way to swap out the grille in favor of Toyota markings. (Just kidding). :p

Demuro-Too hyper? He can be that way alright. His latest video covering the new 4Runner is not so bad IMO.

I'd happily hop in my 17-year old, 2UZ-powered Prado tomorrow and drive it to Alaska. It suits my needs far better than a big/large/heavy/thirsty 100 or 200 (albeit the extra tow capacity of a 200 would be nice). It's the prefect vehicle for my needs, and most certainly not a "bad word". I'm just happy that we even had the V8 Prado in the US for 20 years. I'm guessing our counterparts in the rest of the world would have loved to have the V8 instead of a 1GR and some might even prefer it to the diesel. You have to remember that we have "forbidden fruit" vehicles here too that are USA-specific.

The base 300 series with cloth seats and F/R lockers would be pretty darn awesome though. However with 300 series modularity, It will not be impossible to create some version of a true 300 if you have the $$$$, a LX600 to start with, and are willing to make a huge order of body panels and drivetrain parts from Partsouq.

Just do not like the name trick and screaming out on the internet the "Legendary Land Cruiser" is back. They do not fool me doing so.
No, it's not the 250 itself that is the issue. The issue Toyota gaslighting everyone that the 250 is the successor model to the Land Cruiser that was last sold in the US in 2021.

It's not.

Based on half of the posts here on Mud along with a few others sprinkled in on Reddit, YouTube. etc I think so. I 100% GET what the purists are saying. I know what we are getting is the Prado. I think I know why we didn't get the full fat 300 and I also think I know why Toyota marketing decided to drop the Prado badge for the North American (and the UK) market. Personally I've accepted it and am fine with it. For my use case light duty is more than enough. I know some guys wheel the sh!t out of their rigs and I think that's awesome but mine is a daily commuter that gets used for everything. At the end of the day I just want something that is not only capable when I need it to be but is also practical and reliable along with some modern technology.

If Toyota offered the 300 series in US, would everyone be happy? Oh wait, they do. It's the GX 550.

No, they didn't. The 300 is the LX600.

The GX550 is an upgraded Land Cruiser Prado (250).

I'll admit (after sitting in it and driving it) that the GX550 feels very similar to the 200 - but I'm not ignorant to the fact that they are different generations of vehicles as well as different models. I'd imagine the 300 and the LX600 would also feel "very similar" to the 200.

Last edited:
No, it's not the 250 itself that is the issue. The issue Toyota gaslighting everyone that the 250 is the successor model to the Land Cruiser that was last sold in the US in 2021.

It's not.
If I went to any car show in my area and asked folks what a Land Cruiser is they'd confuse it with a Land Rover. Maybe 10% would even know it's a Toyota product, most people who saw an 80/100/200 would not identify it. Most people don't even know what my GX is and it had around 10X the US production of a 100/200.

Toyota isn't gaslighting anyone in the US as the Land Cruiser name only carries weight in a very small enthusiast circle.

Yep, anything but "Land Cruiser".

What they did is similar to this scenario;
- Stop selling the 4Runner for a year
- Then bring this claiming "Return of the Legendary 4Runner" with great MPG improvement and being more agile

Really...

1712932596845.png

PS - For clarity, the RAV4 is great for what it is an I would seriously consider if I wanted that size/capability

Last edited:
Based on half of the posts here on Mud along with a few others sprinkled in on Reddit, YouTube. etc I think so. I 100% GET what the purists are saying. I know what we are getting is the Prado. I think I know why we didn't get the full fat 300 and I also think I know why Toyota marketing decided to drop the Prado badge for the North American (and the UK) market. Personally I've accepted it and am fine with it. For my use case light duty is more than enough. I know some guys wheel the sh!t out of their rigs and I think that's awesome but mine is a daily commuter that gets used for everything. At the end of the day I just want something that is not only capable when I need it to be but is also practical and reliable along with some modern technology.
You nailed it and will be a happy LC250 owner. Nothing wrong with that, go for it!

No, they didn't. The 300 is the LX600.

The GX550 is an upgraded Land Cruiser Prado (250).
Right, the LX600 is a "real" Land Cruiser then.

So, the 550 is more heavy duty than the new US LC. Hmm. Does that make the 250 a Prado lite?

Right, the LX600 is a "real" Land Cruiser then.

So, the 550 is more heavy duty than the new US LC. Hmm. Does that make the 250 a Prado lite?
Your fellow mud’er is not saying that. The LX570 and LX600 are just that and carry that name by Toyota as well. They both are using a majority of the components of the 200 and 300 series Land Cruisers. As such they are significantly more the real deal, except for their sexy looks.

The 550 has some beefed up drive train components to handle the V6 TT which sets them up to take higher loads from larger size after market wheels/tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom