speedometer & odometer not working (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will try and find time tomorrow to pull mine, clean the connections (they are oil soaked) and check it all out.

Any luck? I am having sort of the same issue, speedo, trip, and odo do not work. Cruise Control does work. OD light never flashed.

Had the same issue with my '93.

Replaced the pig tail for the VSS #2 on the xfer case output, purchased from cruiserparts. No difference.
Replaced the #2 VSS with used part from cruiserparts, no difference.
Had mechanic try to fix it while it was in his hands, he replaced VSS #2 with new unit, no difference.
Mechanic swapped in used gauge cluster, no difference.

Figure it is a short somewhere in the wiring somewhere, figure I will work on the wiring when the motor is out (burning oil will be swapped with LS or rebuilt).

I’m guessing my VSS should not loook like this? Looks like it’s missing the connector pin inside. At least I know why my speedometer and odometer aren’t working.

78777229-C50D-4BBF-B5B0-F791669D1392.jpeg

Inside the port on the side of the t case, that area has some built up gunk in it, what’s the best material to use to clean it out? Electronics cleaner?

I’m guessing my VSS should not loook like this? Looks like it’s missing the connector pin inside. At least I know why my speedometer and odometer aren’t working.

View attachment 2588441
Recently I had the pictured unit freeze and break the pin....make sure the unit turns freely before replacing the pin(still available from Toyota]

Just something inexpensive to check out. Check your grounds and your positive connection to your alternator. The nut that holds the positive to the alternator had rusted out and I had a very loose connection and was experiencing a periodically dead speedo. Tightened that connection and no more dead speedo.

Recently I had the pictured unit freeze and break the pin....make sure the unit turns freely before replacing the pin(still available from Toyota]
Yeah thats what I think is wrong with my aswell, im getting a CEL Obd 1 code "42" which is bad VSS. Odo & speedo don't work. Gonna pull it apart & see if the pine is broken.

Did 80's in the US have the cable speedo (mechanical) or did they all get the electric speedor? My 3/92 80 has the mechanical version. I have a spare cable (new genuine oldstock) to fit one day as the speedo needle 'chatters' a bit at higher speeds. I would have no idea where to get replacement speedo heads, etc if I ever needed to. So far the odo still counts properly and it's not too far off the first digit becoming a '7' now.

Did 80's in the US have the cable speedo (mechanical) or did they all get the electric speedor? My 3/92 80 has the mechanical version. I have a spare cable (new genuine oldstock) to fit one day as the speedo needle 'chatters' a bit at higher speeds. I would have no idea where to get replacement speedo heads, etc if I ever needed to. So far the odo still counts properly and it's not too far off the first digit becoming a '7' now.
93 & older had a mechanical, 94 & newer had an electrical

I am battling this now too. Wires look fine. What ground is this? Also, VSS appear normal?

IMG_20240406_180745840.jpg

IMG_20240406_180842649.jpg

IMG_20240406_181034944_HDR.jpg

Edit: I believe the pin is broken?

I may have a spare in my extra transfer case. Shoot me a PM and I'll check in the morning.

It won't fix the cause of the break, but if will get you going again if you fix the root cause.

Wonder what caused the break? I'm at 220k now and it was original. Thank you for offering a spare, I just ended up ordering a new VSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom