The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Size. I could make the HX30 fit in my HZJ80 without much fuss. I think the Super is a bit bigger and might interfere with the exhaust manifold or other crap around the turbo.

Good evening, all,

Friend has a 2H Landcruiser who is investigating options for turbo, he's only looking to run 8-12 PSI boost to bring up the power a bit for hills.

There are plenty of kits available, but we're looking at using a modern turbo,

We want to get the boost coming in early, but have enough turbo there that we're not choking it at 2250-2500 RPM.

We're considering either:

Garrett GBC20-300:

image.png

Garret GBC22-350:

image.png

Whats the thoughts here?

Good evening, all,

Friend has a 2H Landcruiser who is investigating options for turbo, he's only looking to run 8-12 PSI boost to bring up the power a bit for hills.

There are plenty of kits available, but we're looking at using a modern turbo,

We want to get the boost coming in early, but have enough turbo there that we're not choking it at 2250-2500 RPM.

We're considering either:

Garrett GBC20-300:

image.png

Garret GBC22-350:

image.png

Whats the thoughts here?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Looking at the compressor and turbine dimensions, I think those turbos are both too small for a 4.0litre diesel.
They are designed for 2 litre petrol engine. A petrol engine had very different needs than a diesel engine in terms of turbos.

12ht which is also 4.0 litres uses a ct26 turbo. Check out the compressor and turbine dimensions for a comparison.

Search this thread for the Mellett Turbos spec sheet
It lists a lot of info for toyota turbo compressor and turbine dimensions so you have a comparison for turbo sizes used on different Toyota engines.

I think ( but there's more knowledgeable people here than me) a turbo for a 1hd-fte could be a good match for a 2H.
It'll give low end boost, and will boost way past 2500rpm.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Looking at the compressor and turbine dimensions, I think those turbos are both too small for a 4.0litre diesel.
They are designed for 2 litre petrol engine. A petrol engine had very different needs than a diesel engine in terms of turbos.

12ht which is also 4.0 litres uses a ct26 turbo. Check out the compressor and turbine dimensions for a comparison.

Search this thread for the Mellett Turbos spec sheet
It lists a lot of info for toyota turbo compressor and turbine dimensions so you have a comparison for turbo sizes used on different Toyota engines.

I think ( but there's more knowledgeable people here than me) a turbo for a 1hd-fte could be a good match for a 2H.
It'll give low end boost, and will boost way past 2500rpm.

For reference, here are some compressor/turbine specs on OEM Toyota Turbochargers (various sources):

Turbo - Compressor(ind/exd) - Turbine(ind/exd)
(engine)

CT26
- 42/65, 65/52
(12HT Landcruiser)

CT26 - 43/65, 65/52
(1HDT Landcruiser, single entry)

CT26 small - 46/65, 60/48
(1HDFTE Landcruiser)

image.png

Looks like in comparison, the GBC22-350 is a bit smaller than the CT26 on the exhaust side, although its a much newer design turbo.

image.png

Looks like in comparison, the GBC22-350 is a bit smaller than the CT26 on the exhaust side, although its a much newer design turbo.
I played with the matchbot quite a bit for about a year before I bought a borg warner turbo. You will never be able to get extremely close to real world drivability unless you have some way to figure out volumetric efficiency and brake specific fuel consumption and many other key inputs it has. BUT it will get you really close check out this thread where there is fellow member here (Dougal) which gave me some decent advice with matchbot. I just don't know how you will be able to simulate Garrett turbos on the matchbot. The EFR6258 would be the smallest option BW has I believe but its a pricey turbo. If you dig through this that I link here some of my matchbot simulations are posted for your viewing.

MATH+Logic: An engineering approach in search for a perfect TURBO. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/math-logic-an-engineering-approach-in-search-for-a-perfect-turbo.1226527/post-14734831

Been a wild ride reading thru all 110 pages. Watching some brands come and go out of existence.
One thing that seems constant is the legit turbos are coming out of Australia, but since us yanks are so far surely there's a much closer option...?
@Magic Spool Bus 's Borg Warner turbo got me raising my eyebrow but before I go down that path did I miss or has anyone tried Drift Motion?
Dude's been around forever (remember from my drifting/JZX100 days)
Drift Motion CT26 upgrade
or is that just chasing an old and outdated turbo dream.

Last edited:
Been a wild ride reading thru all 110 pages. Watching some brands come and go out of existence.
One thing that seems constant is the legit turbos are coming out of Australia, but since us yanks are so far surely there's a much closer option...?
@Magic School Bus's Borg Warner turbo got me raising my eyebrow but before I go down that path did I miss or has anyone tried Drift Motion?
Dude's been around forever (remember from my drifting/JZX100 days)
Drift Motion CT26 upgrade
or is that just chasing an old and outdated turbo dream.
@bryce0225 just used them for his 1HD-T rebuild

this caught my eye , does anyone all-ready have this unique repair resource ?

i went ahead and ordered one up , if its most of what is claimed ? it could be a new kool thingy gadget to add to the SST 's in a unique way ...:D\

1702193543520.png

ENGINES COVERED-

B / 2B / 3B / 11B / 13B /13BT
2H / 12HT
1HDFTE
1HDFT
1HDT
1HZ / 1PZ
1KZTE
1KZT
1KD / 2KDFTV
1VDFTV
1C / 2C / 2CT
2L / 2LT / 3L / 5L / 5LE

1702194193056.png

this caught my eye , does anyone all-ready have this unique repair resource ?

i went ahead and ordered one up , if its most of what is claimed ? it could be a new kool thingy gadget to add to the SST 's in a unique way ...:D\

View attachment 3503317.

ENGINES COVERED-

B / 2B / 3B / 11B / 13B /13BT
2H / 12HT
1HDFTE
1HDFT
1HDT
1HZ / 1PZ
1KZTE
1KZT
1KD / 2KDFTV
1VDFTV
1C / 2C / 2CT
2L / 2LT / 3L / 5L / 5LE

@AussieHJCruza and i had one years ago before the later engines were added (1VD-FTV for example) and it was a bit clunky to use but interested to know how you find it, especially with manuals that toyota never printed a hard copy for.

R2554R Shoot me down.

Hi all, I have been very happy with my NA 1HZ in a 2007 76 series wagon. I am almost officially an "Old Fart" and never had the lust for speed and brute power.
We have recently started touring our neighbouring Lesotho where the average height is just below 3000m above sea level. The old 76 was gasping on some occasions, on a moderate load (2 people, roof top tent no trailer). Like 1st gear once or twice. She has an altitude compensator but still smokes a bit above 3000m.
So, altitude compensation is my main aim here. Less gear changing in the hills, a close second, and if the fuel consumption improves, well, cheers.
I am very handy and would want to do a lot of the work myself, but mixing and matching turbo bits is not for me, so an " out of the box" option is what I need here.
On initial checking, Garrett is the most available here and with rudimentary knowledge and understanding, the 2554 looks OK, but I did use the word rudimentary and would welcome the opinions of those who have gone before.

IMHO nothing really in the garret range suits a 4.2 litre diesel, maybe a GT2860 but there's better options such as a TD05H-16G/18G or one of the mashups available from the likes of Mamba and Kinugawa with a CT26 flange.

Otherwise the usual brands such as Gturbo, UFI, Safari etc would have a kit with exhaust manifold etc included.

R2554R Shoot me down.

Hi all, I have been very happy with my NA 1HZ in a 2007 76 series wagon. I am almost officially an "Old Fart" and never had the lust for speed and brute power.
We have recently started touring our neighbouring Lesotho where the average height is just below 3000m above sea level. The old 76 was gasping on some occasions, on a moderate load (2 people, roof top tent no trailer). Like 1st gear once or twice. She has an altitude compensator but still smokes a bit above 3000m.
So, altitude compensation is my main aim here. Less gear changing in the hills, a close second, and if the fuel consumption improves, well, cheers.
I am very handy and would want to do a lot of the work myself, but mixing and matching turbo bits is not for me, so an " out of the box" option is what I need here.
On initial checking, Garrett is the most available here and with rudimentary knowledge and understanding, the 2554 looks OK, but I did use the word rudimentary and would welcome the opinions of those who have gone before.

2554 is too small compressor for your engine at that altitude. It'll be better than no turbo but there are better options.

I would go for a TD04HL-19T. Because it's got a decent size compressor and a small turbine. You will need both at 3000m altitude.
Don't let sea-level australians talk you into a bigger turbo. It won't spool up until way too late at that altitude.

2554 is too small compressor for your engine at that altitude. It'll be better than no turbo but there are better options.

I would go for a TD04HL-19T. Because it's got a decent size compressor and a small turbine. You will need both at 3000m altitude.
Don't let sea-level australians talk you into a bigger turbo. It won't spool up until way too late at that altitude.
Good catch, I'd overlooked the altitude

Simple way it's just all bits and TC26 from 1HD-T bolton Toyota parts ..

Add more fuel and voila ..

Simple way it's just all bits and TC26 from 1HD-T bolton Toyota parts ..

Add more fuel and voila ..

Easy for some of it.

Compressor is small, turbine & housing is kinda a bit big.
You'd still need to figure out oil feed and drain.
Water coolant lines if you wanted to water cool the turbo.

It would be easy to source exhaust manifold.
There's loads of CT26 based aftermarket stuff that will bolt in.

CT20B or aka the 1HD-FTE turbo might be better match. But then, you may as well go aftermarket TD05/06 or TD04 if that's better suited to altitude

Thank you all so far. I'm going to shift my attention to the TD series as suggested. Aquick look around shows that there is some support for them here in SA.
Is there a Mitshubishi turbo guide or bible around. I want to gen myself up on them soonest. any info or reading matter appricated. ( the Garrett info was easy that's why my interest in the first place).
Right now, it's identifying the correct turbo, and I will take the rest from there. I probably won't use a kit as I am quite handy and want to control all the steps along the way.
Things I would be very reluctant to compromise on, and again, shoot me down if i need it. Water cooled turbo, large and free as possible exhaust, intercooler,
altitude compensator swapped for boost controller . ( is this a straight forward bolt on swap).

Water cooled turbo is not essential, but is best practice.
3" exhaust with full flow mufflers along with turbo is the single biggest improvement you can make.
Intercooler will net the most benefit once you are making 14 psi boost or above.

Boost and EGT gauges are ESSENTIAL if you turbo a 1HZ.
Heat in the head and combustion will kill the 1hz.
Boost is your friend in keeping EGTs sensible (along with sensible tune)
Do some reading to understand the relationship between boost, engine load, and heavy fueling so you can monitor EGTs in high load, high heat scenarios and learn to drive accordingly to preserve the engine.
Turboing a 1hz is not without risk

Converting the altitude compensator to a boost compensator is relatively straight forward IF you are handy, and have all the right parts.
The body of the altitude compensator and the boost compensator are the same, internal parts are different. You could try to source the internal parts, but it may be easier to just source a complete boost compensator.
There's threads here on installing boost compensator on pumps that had neither.
I've previously posted pics of the different internal components in " the official tuning thread" here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom