GX550 Reviews (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not convinced that buzzing panels, rattles, wind noise etc can be written off as pre production issues. I guess we'll see shortly.

I hate fake engine sounds. Despite having a split tailgate in my 200, changing to a standard hatch with an opening rear window simply isn’t a dealbreaker for me. The split tailgate has some advantages but also some disadvantages.
I'm a big fan of ambulance doors. The world is not moving in my favor. Lol. Outside of commercial vans there ain't much left for me.

Fake engine noise - I'll pass too. Fortunately it should be a function that can be turned off. In a perfect world we could upload our own sound files. Want it to sound like a diesel? A 22R? A 1FZ? all of those should be options if we're just playing a sound track.

Multiple reviews, including David from Automotive Press, asserted that the units were pre-production. I'd assume that they were given that piece of information in their press briefing.

However I know better than to ever say that @OGBeno isn't right :)

Toyota has historically never used pre-production models for public/journalist reviews. They are almost always production models.

And David… 😂😂😂😂 I wouldn’t let him build me a Erect-A-Set.

Toyota has historically never used pre-production models for public reviews. It’s usually as close to the production model as possible.

And David… 😂😂😂😂 I wouldn’t let him build me a Erect-A-Set.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the emissions sticker under the hoods were X'd out with another label stuck nearby under there. Driver door jamb stickers appear to be the standard, FMVSS-compliant, non-prototype stickers.

but..ENGINEER EXPLAINS WHAT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING

Thanks for the humor.

I like this one because he gets right to the driving part instead of re-hashing the stuff we'll all seen a dozen times.

I’ve watched him for a couple years now. He’s extremely knowledgeable and seems to be more than fair in his reviews.
  • Can we collectively agree that we don't need simulated engine/exhaust noises piped into the cabin? I don't need cheap tricks and gimmicks.
I understand what you’re saying. I like, and don’t like, the fake sound in my 24 Sequoia. What crazy is these 3.4L engines sound really good without the fake interior sound. I had my wife rev the engine for me one day and it sounds like a 90’s JDM 6 cylinder.

I’ve watched him for a couple years now. He’s extremely knowledgeable and seems to be more than fair in his reviews.

I understand what you’re saying. I like, and don’t like, the fake sound in my 24 Sequoia. What crazy is these 3.4L engines sound really good without the fake interior sound. I had my wife rev the engine for me one day and it sounds like a 90’s JDM 6 cylinder.
Is there a way to turn off the fake sounds? Through the infotainment system or through Techstream?

Nevermind, it looks like the dealer can turn off "Active Sound Control", presumably via Techstream.

Does anyone know what kind of traction control the non Overtrail trims will have? For example, the premium/premium+, do they come with A-trac or equivalent? Or will they just have CDL and open diffs?

Does anyone know what kind of traction control the non Overtrail trims will have? For example, the premium/premium+, do they come with A-trac or equivalent? Or will they just have CDL and open diffs?

"Every Lexus GX is equipped with a robust Full-Time 4WD system so you can experience a higher level of confidence on every road, paved or not. Featuring a Torsen®13 torque-sensing limited-slip differential with electronic locking feature to efficiently distribute engine power between the front and rear axles, this system is engineered to optimize traction across a wide variety of conditions. And four-wheel Active
Traction Control helps keep you on course and feeling secure by using sensors to detect and help prevent wheel slippage."

Last edited:
"Every Lexus GX is equipped with a robust Full-Time 4WD system so you can experience a higher level of confidence on every road, paved or not. Featuring a Torsen®13 torque-sensing limited-slip differential with electronic locking feature to efficiently distribute engine power between the front and rear axles, this system is engineered to optimize traction across a wide variety of conditions. And four-wheel Active
Traction Control helps keep you on course and feeling secure by using sensors to detect and help prevent wheel slippage.
Many thanks.

Several reviews on YouTube mention 9k lbs towing... are they just mistaken or has something changed ?

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 6.06.39 AM.png

Updated tow capacity spec looks like it came out in December but most other spec sheets still show the lower rating.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 6.20.46 AM.png

34yk0v83thec1.png

Seems that they confirm engine is dead until 2k rpm even with smaller turbos. I still struggle to get used to it in lx600 after v8. Wonder if hybrid lc250 will feel better at lower torque. We need some head to head comparison!
In my experience the Toyota hybrids (cars and trucks) truly shine in low end torque delivery, I expect that'll be the case with the 250.

It's disappointing to see how badly Lexus missed the mark with efficiency and range. Off highway 15 mpg is pathetic in the year 2024. But they didn't stop there: they could have mitigated that thirst with a larger fuel tank, but Lexus instead gives us only 21 gallons of fuel capacity for a paltry off-highway range of about 300 miles.

This repeats the same efficiency and range shortcomings that have plagued US market Land Cruisers (and Lexus versions thereof) for more than three decades. You'd think that, with an "overtrail" model, they'd have not repeated that failure but alas, few buyers will actually use these for remote touring.

It's disappointing to see how badly Lexus missed the mark with efficiency and range. Off highway 15 mpg is pathetic in the year 2024. But they didn't stop there: they could have mitigated that thirst with a larger fuel tank, but Lexus instead gives us only 21 gallons of fuel capacity for a paltry off-highway range of about 300 miles.

This repeats the same efficiency and range shortcomings that have plagued US market Land Cruisers (and Lexus versions thereof) for more than three decades. You'd think that, with an "overtrail" model, they'd have not repeated that failure but alas, few buyers will actually use these for remote touring.

Maybe the hallmark feature of the US-market Land Cruisers that Koji wants to to retain across all Land Cruiser generations is sub-300-mile off-road range :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom