GX550 Reviews (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like this one because he gets right to the driving part instead of re-hashing the stuff we'll all seen a dozen times.

sadly the fist posted review says a range rover cannot tow or offroad..sounds like a marketing/sales guy

Two things I've picked up from a couple reviews..

• Can we collectively agree that we don't need simulated engine/exhaust noises piped into the cabin? I don't need cheap tricks and gimmicks.
  • During some of the interviews with Koji, he mentioned that certain vehicles have their trademark feature that they look at needing to be preserved. This was specifically in response to the 4Runner's rolldown rear window. The Tundra CE also indicated similar thoughts regarding the Tundra CrewMax rolldown window. What is/was that feature on a Land Cruiser (take your pick on Wagon vs HD vs Prado)?

• Can we collectively agree that we don't need simulated engine/exhaust noises piped into the cabin? I don't need cheap tricks and gimmicks.
  • During some of the interviews with Koji, he mentioned that certain vehicles have their trademark feature that they look at needing to be preserved. This was specifically in response to the 4Runner's rolldown rear window. The Tundra CE also indicated similar thoughts regarding the Tundra CrewMax rolldown window. What is/was that feature on a Land Cruiser (take your pick on Wagon vs HD vs Prado)?
Piped in engine sounds are not my cup of tea. IMO they only cheapen the experience. I’m fine with the sounds of a 6 or 4 cylinder engine so to try and make them sound like something they are not comes off as really cheesy to me .

One of my concerns after watching Topher’s video this morning is his complaints about wind noise. Hopefully it was just a rather windy day in Tucson and this thing isn’t going to sound like a Wrangler or Bronco while cruising down the highway.

As for trademarks, I think the most important “LC” trait is that retains that reputation for getting you through pretty much anything there and back. Honorable mention (even though it’s not unanimous across the LC line) would be a split tailgate.

Piped in engine sounds are not my cup of tea. IMO they only cheapen the experience. I’m fine with the sounds of a 6 or 4 cylinder engine so to try and make them sound like something they are not comes off as really cheesy to me .

One of my concerns after watching Topher’s video this morning is his complaints about wind noise. Hopefully it was just a rather windy day in Tucson and this thing isn’t going to sound like a Wrangler or Bronco while cruising down the highway.

As for trademarks, I think the most important “LC” trait is that retains that reputation for getting you through pretty much anything there and back. Honorable mention (even though it’s not unanimous across the LC line) would be a split tailgate.

I think Kirk mentioned a door rattle sound at lower speeds/rpms too. That's concerning.

I think Kirk mentioned a door rattle sound at lower speeds/rpms too. That's concerning.
These are still preproduction prototypes. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yes to no fake sound
Lc = split tailgate

Yes to no fake sound
Lc = split tailgate
I hate fake engine sounds. Despite having a split tailgate in my 200, changing to a standard hatch with an opening rear window simply isn’t a dealbreaker for me. The split tailgate has some advantages but also some disadvantages.

Not really. I have a hard time believing they aren’t prep-production and press fleet vehicles given how manufacturers handle press launch and drive events. Most likely trim not screwed together correctly during manufacturing ramp up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom