Ineos Grenadier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's just so weird from a Toyota perspective to see someone complimenting how well their engine is doing when it's under 100k on the odometer

True but very different sets of standards between the two. I had wheel bearings fail on both of my FJC's in under 40K miles. I had a Nav/Infotainment unit fail in our Lexus CT200h in the first year as well, $hit happens albeit much more often with a Jeep product.

This is a good video of a production model being tested by three normal guys on a controlled offroad track.

It has a pretty balanced perspective, and has great shots of things like articulation, underbody pictures, and lots of measurements.

Toward the end, they kind of encapsulated my thoughts - something like: if there are a bunch of old rich grannies out there, go buy one now, so we can buy them from you in a year or so. lol :)

I'm only becoming more of a fan, not less, the more I read and see.

Test drove today in Snoqualmie. Was very impressed with the 30 minutes behind the wheel. They did not let me test the F/R locking diffs. Looks like most of the underbody is tucked up well. Will be interesting to see final pricing on May 17. I'm leaning towards blue or silver.

20230511_140043.jpg

20230511_140055.jpg

20230511_140057.jpg

20230511_140108.jpg

20230511_141740.jpg

I wish they did something different with those tail lights.

I wish they did something different with those tail lights.

What are you talking about? You clearly don’t know a classic when you see it…

1683853289713.png

I note too that the build felt very solid. Heavy doors, tight fit and finish, particularly for a late prototype. I wish I could have taken it out goinf 70mph on the freeway to see how it does on road.

U.S. pricing released today. With inflation, pricing has already creeped up significantly from original estimates. I was expecting to see equivalent pricing to the UK and Australia (minus built in VAT taxes). The marketing has been they were targeting pricing between a Wrangler and a Defender. I don't want a Defender, but you can get a well spec'd version for less than the Grenadier, so I guess they failed on that front.

I was surprised to see pricing at approximately 15% higher than those markets, with no pricing preference for those of us that made the pre-reservation deposits in 2021. My fairly well built Trialmaster comes in at $85,000, about $10,000 more than UK pricing (before VAT/Taxes). Trying to decide if it is worth it, particularly for a brand new model that will likely have some initial gremlins.

I have 30 days to decide, and I'll likely still buy one, but a bit disappointed on the price.

U.S. pricing released today. With inflation, pricing has already creeped up significantly from original estimates. I was expecting to see equivalent pricing to the UK and Australia (minus built in VAT taxes). The marketing has been they were targeting pricing between a Wrangler and a Defender. I don't want a Defender, but you can get a well spec'd version for less than the Grenadier, so I guess they failed on that front.

I was surprised to see pricing at approximately 15% higher than those markets, with no pricing preference for those of us that made the pre-reservation deposits in 2021. My fairly well built Trialmaster comes in at $85,000, about $10,000 more than UK pricing (before VAT/Taxes). Trying to decide if it is worth it, particularly for a brand new model that will likely have some initial gremlins.

I have 30 days to decide, and I'll likely still buy one, but a bit disappointed on the price.
Ditto. I'm going to throw my LC up for sale on the higher end ($65,000-$70,000), and if someone bites on it I'll sell it to make the IG seem like less of a hit.

Ditto. I'm going to throw my LC up for sale on the higher end ($65,000-$70,000), and if someone bites on it I'll sell it to make the IG seem like less of a hit.
Wait…what?!

What's bugging me is the fact that you have pay the dealer to install the options. I wonder if they can answer that pricing within the 30 days we have to decide.

What's bugging me is the fact that you have pay the dealer to install the options. I wonder if they can answer that pricing within the 30 days we have to decide.
Not only that, Ineos has no control on your dealer charging you more for the vehicle (above MSRP) even for those that preordered. You can switch delivery dealers, but if dealers jack up pricing even more I would not buy on principle.

I also won't have a servicing dealer closer than a 4 hour drive, so that may push me away from it until they build out their network. Without any preferential pricing, I don't have a lot of incentive to order now.

Not only that, Ineos has no control on your dealer charging you more for the vehicle (above MSRP) even for those that preordered. You can switch delivery dealers, but if dealers jack up pricing even more I would not buy on principle.

I also won't have a servicing dealer closer than a 4 hour drive, so that may push me away from it until they build out their network. Without any preferential pricing, I don't have a lot of incentive to order now.
I couldn't agreed with you more. A couple of friends are out and I feel the same as you do. Shame. Timing has been terrible for them but this is/was in their control.

Now that the US market gets only 60K mile warranty, I may wait for the dust to settle.

I couldn't agreed with you more. A couple of friends are out and I feel the same as you do. Shame. Timing has been terrible for them but this is/was in their control.

Now that the US market gets only 60K mile warranty, I may wait for the dust to settle.
I'm keeping my 200 either way, and I think the IG will be a good truck. I'll probably still buy it unless the nearby dealers try to raise prices even more. I am in no hurry to buy. We may actually see car prices decrease as market demand for new vehicles is dropping a lot.

I'm keeping my 200 either way, and I think the IG will be a good truck. I'll probably still buy it unless the nearby dealers try to raise prices even more. I am in no hurry to buy. We may actually see car prices decrease as market demand for new vehicles is dropping a lot.
I'm very curious what the actual mpg is of the IG. I'll probably catch a lot of heat for this but the 13-15 mpg I get with the LC isn't worth it to me for what I use it for (driving around town plus 1:30- 5:30 drives to ski or camp or Moab). Plus the decision to not have kids makes it's not super sustainable for my use. If the IG is actually getting closer to 20 like we've heard over seas, that makes it fit my purpose better.

I'm very curious what the actual mpg is of the IG. I'll probably catch a lot of heat for this but the 13-15 mpg I get with the LC isn't worth it to me for what I use it for (driving around town plus 1:30- 5:30 drives to ski or camp or Moab). Plus the decision to not have kids makes it's not super sustainable for my use. If the IG is actually getting closer to 20 like we've heard over seas, that makes it fit my purpose better.
The 20 overseas is based on their larger gallons (4.546 liters per gallon) vs a U.S gallon (3.785 liters). Ineos has 14mpg listed on their site and I expect it will do a bit better, but not much. Probably the same or worse as a LC. The IG is a brick, so expect more mileage at high speed.

Last edited:
Now that pricing and dealer installs is out there the reality of it all sets in, it’s not the decent deal we all thought it would be. No longer interested.

Sorry, you guys who are dumping LC to get this unproven overpriced nobody is smoking something good!! I will have what you’re having please!

Heck, i rather buy a NEW Lexus GX and have $20k+ left over for mods instead of buying this IG.

Last edited:
Sorry, you guys who are dumping LC to get this unproven overpriced nobody is smoking something good!! I have what you’re having please!

Heck, i rather buy a NEW Lexus GX and have $20k+ left over for mods instead of buying this IG.

Pass that here when youre done, :smokin:.

How much is this in the US all in? LC prices? LOL

Last edited:
I test drove one in upstate New York. I was so excited for it that I drove six hours each way to go to the event. What a waste. I had about ten minutes behind three wheel on a track that a LC could do without tires. There was one impressive climb with mud and a tree across it. The rest of the track was a joke. I learned that the previous day, a customer crashed one of the test vehicles into a tree, so they had made the course easier by the time I arrived. Nonetheless, the test drive made me appreciate my 200 more. I had towed my airstream to the event. The IG had a limit of 7700 pounds. It can't tow the airstream. They didn't let us drive it on road, so I have no idea how it handles at 80. The lc200 is a dream at 80. It is a cool off road rig, but with a BMW engine, far away dealers, untested reliability, inevitable teething pains, and a $93k price tag (equipped as I want it), I am going to pass for now. I admire Sir Jim for doing the project, and I may buy one later, but I am not jumping in as an early adopter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom