Wanted Transmission Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mudandrock

Back 40 Imports
Threads
Website
back40imports.com
Can anyone identify what model this transmission came from? I myself am totally stumped and that rarely happens when it comes to this kind of thing. Some of you who are as much of a parts nerd as me will find this to be a fun challenge. It has very few clues by which it can be identified and I will list them below.

I know it’s a H150/151 or maybe even a 152, but it has some bizarre twists that makes it a bit of a mystery.

I’m confident I have all the right combination of parts to make this setup work behind a 3FE powered fj80, but I’d really like to know what this trans came from originally for future maintenance and parts support.

It’s obviously suited for a 80 or 100 series, but I don’t know of any specific model that used one quite like this. It came with a 3F bell housing, but I am 100% certain it was not a 3F transmission to start with and here’s why…

1. The input shaft is the same as 1HDT and/or 1FZ, 14 splines and much bigger diameter than a 10 spline 3F input shaft

2. The oil pump is always on the back of the 80 series H15x transmissions and this one has the oil pump integrated into the front bearing retainer. Which brings me to my next unsolved mystery…

3. What the heck is up with this bearing retainer? No release bearing that should fit does, not 1HZ, 1HDT, 1FZ or 3F. No, the bearing that works turns out is for a 2H/H55F combination and the retainer is also the oil pump. Something I have not seen on any Land Cruiser I’ve worked on.

4. This thing came with a HF1A part time case, which I was going to save for another project, but turns out that the splines on the back of the transmission won’t fit your regulator 80 series full time case? They only fit this part time case specifically. The drive line flanges on the transfer case are also larger than the 80 series (2 3/8 vs 2 1/4), thankfully the package also came with new driveline ends that do fit.

DA05E9F3-7268-40E1-89D4-BF2E85F1DFC0.jpeg

Last edited:
late 90's ('98-'99) UZJ100 maybe? do you happen to have a part # for the retainer with the oil drive in it? that bearing appears to be pre '89, as you suggested.
between the part time transfer case and the larger patterned output flanges, I would guess more HP(and GVW) would be applicable?

04331-60200 tranny?

not sure if there were any 4WD Coasters...............

Fascinating. My vote would’ve been for UZJ100 with input shaft 33301-60070…but that has the oil pump at the rear.

I have no clue.

Interesting to say the least. Not something I’ve seen.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

HF1A is unusual looking too.

Dave, I was thinking it was a similar setup to this one that sold, says it came from OZ

this was my original for sale thread

it came with plates to mount to a 2F/3F block not a UZ

Last edited:
Ok. I tried all my parts-fu and struck out on the front oil pump. The only clearly different is no lift hooks on side of transmission.

I did find a 1/1990 3F- 4 speed H14x transmissions, searched the various output shaft, intermediate plates, t case front case, top shift plate, and other parts crossover. Even looked at 5 bolt rear cover on t case to track down where used. All the dyna/coasters have different assemblies.

Dave- I don't know what you have.
As i said via DM the front h15x case looks early as I believe all post 1992 cases have the boss or boss w insert for the 7x series shifter.

I robbed this image from Mark Woytovich's UZJ transmission FS which I think does not have inserts hence a different part number.

mark's uzj100 h151.jpg

transmission/transfer case combo that Paul posted appears to be very similar, including the oil drive in the bearing retainer.
the wiring loom tag, 82125-90K01, is listed as pre '89 ('84-'89) but only in an FJ7X series split case and auto tranny combo. this date reference is close, and we know Mr. Toyoda did not always follow the rules that parts catalogues would suggest.
as Rick_D pointed out, the H15X tranny is an early one. perhaps there were some GEN population early 80 series trucks ordered with 3F engines and manual transmissions that received this medley of drive train parts.

the small reference of the loom tag, (82125-90K01) also only appears in GEN on DIY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom