Builds (Now a build thread) FJ40 Rubicon Prep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's even more odd, is that we are also both connected through the ForeForums! 00 U320 owner here.

What ?!?!?!

Sold our 2000 U320 in December before Covid hit... Stupidest thing I have ever done!!! Tried to buy it back and the people we sold it to laughed out loud. Had it set up perfectly for the family. Bunks in the closet, four Toyota Sienna buckets with integrated belts for the kids. Had super singles on it... Just a peach of a coach!!!

What length is your 320?

What ?!?!?!

Sold our 2000 U320 in December before Covid hit... Stupidest thing I have ever done!!! Tried to buy it back and the people we sold it to laughed out loud. Had it set up perfectly for the family. Bunks in the closet, four Toyota Sienna buckets with integrated belts for the kids. Had super singles on it... Just a peach of a coach!!!

What length is your 320?
40' single slide in living room. I saw some of your builds over there, the Sienna seats in particular, and I think you made mention somewhere on RDP about owning a Foretravel and the screen name made the lightbulb go off. The FT owners club is a small one, not many folks are aware of them. I've let two people drive my coach, and they now both own a FT. There really is no comparison in quality or performance for the price of a late 90's early 2000's FT. The 36 had to feel like a rocket ship!!

40' single slide in living room. I saw some of your builds over there, the Sienna seats in particular, and I think you made mention somewhere on RDP about owning a Foretravel and the screen name made the lightbulb go off. The FT owners club is a small one, not many folks are aware of them. I've let two people drive my coach, and they now both own a FT. There really is no comparison in quality or performance for the price of a late 90's early 2000's FT. The 36 had to feel like a rocket ship!!

Such a small world...

We miss our 320 so so much. Have tried to find another one with no luck so far. For our use the Non-slide coach was perfect. The driving to parked ratio was heavily weighted on the driving side. The 36' with the M11 handled the hills around here well enough that we would take it to the beach for the day. Kids were small, and our son had some food alergies that made restaurants tough... just easier to take the house with you. Nap time... no problem. Park and let them sleep ! my wife wouldn't drive it and the kids were getting bigger so we were flying more for vacations than driving. Casually listed it for sale on the forum... Then Covid hit phuch phuch phuch I made the wrong cal selling!!!

Just logged into the foreforum and think you asked a question on the seats a few years back. Again, its a small world.

Such a small world...

We miss our 320 so so much. Have tried to find another one with no luck so far. For our use the Non-slide coach was perfect. The driving to parked ratio was heavily weighted on the driving side. The 36' with the M11 handled the hills around here well enough that we would take it to the beach for the day. Kids were small, and our son had some food alergies that made restaurants tough... just easier to take the house with you. Nap time... no problem. Park and let them sleep ! my wife wouldn't drive it and the kids were getting bigger so we were flying more for vacations than driving. Casually listed it for sale on the forum... Then Covid hit phuch phuch phuch I made the wrong cal selling!!!

Just logged into the foreforum and think you asked a question on the seats a few years back. Again, its a small world.
That's me. That was a pretty cool upgrade you did. I had considered those seats for both the captains and co-captains seats as I cannot stomach the cost of new seats and really just do not like the size, weight and lack of comfort of the original seats. Bummer you sold it. There should be some deals out there on coaches with fuel being as expensive at it is....

Do you know what seat heaters you bought?

Do you know what seat heaters you bought?
These are the old style katskins. With visible electrodes running back and forth. I believe the new tech is easier to work with as you can cut them anywhere (???) or so I have read.

Made an expensive stop today...

On the way between the warehouse the FJ was stored in and home is one of the better Landcruiser shops in the area. A friend of mine works there and had been collecting the FJ60 power steering stuff for me. While we were going over what was still needed to round up (80 Series ball joints and DOM tie rod and drag link stuff) he brought up electric power steering... Talked about how it would be perfect for how this truck will be built and used, etc etc. Did a bit more reading here and just ordered the turnkey setup from City Racer. Threw a new floor mat on the order just for the hell of it...

This is going to save me so much time in fabbing stuff up its not even funny ;)

Not the cheapest solution but a month of evenings and weekends not spent on the FJ60 conversion has a TON of value.

Last edited:
Real time question:

Putting 4+ U-Bolt flip kits in right now.

Is it worth shifting the axles out an inch on each end?

Mudders It’s been a while since this thread had an update. Lots of progress made in the last few months.

In no particular order:

Seats Recovered
Seatbelts installed

City Racer Floor Matt installed.

Headlight switch cleaned and reconfigured (Had the wrong year switch which had the headlights on before the park lights)

New Visors

Rock lights installed

ARB’s plumbed and wired

Headlight relay harness installed

8 circuit relay box mounted/wired

Washer pump cleaned up

Wiper motor cleaned and lubed

Lights installed wiring cleaned up

8274 Mounts roughed out

C7BBC1E8-279F-4418-B174-8F56B342EA51.jpeg

54E3BC5D-3917-4EE9-8F66-E8DA70CD2A62.jpeg

F46AE710-6819-4724-B63E-1035ED207BAC.jpeg

1E917173-74B0-49EE-8C9C-B2E9792FA9F0.jpeg

C8905A83-1FD1-4881-AD65-1BBFC8573922.jpeg

More Pics

1D1F0AFE-CFE5-4258-901F-F38266DDA718.jpeg

CD35134B-C523-4794-AD57-CDBB974FAEF9.jpeg

40DC5F41-75D3-4C5B-B071-76FF4D36FD41.jpeg

F17245E5-65F0-467C-AA2B-4951FB0A8DB8.jpeg

Winch Stuff

Milled the draft off the fairlead for easy fixturing during welding…

68DAEFDA-00A9-407C-818D-0CA9C89E0C66.jpeg

9DDB3963-9C25-4859-B9EB-E9506957E3E1.jpeg

5F42ECA1-E236-4835-B7EC-54B527CFEA70.jpeg

D425E6E7-2840-450A-8E60-035D960EBA22.jpeg

Last edited:
This was the inspiration for the winch mount…

Pretty cool build of this flat fender on Pirate. Love the low and wide stance.

2C876883-B2C4-4C81-9840-578EA602D706.png

59D5F53F-1F73-4170-849F-B32E3A6D89A5.jpeg

I know you’re tires are new, but Kenda Klever has a 33x9.5x15 option they came out with about a year ago or so, so you can keep in mind you still have that size available whenever you do have to change your tires

I know you’re tires are new, but Kenda Klever has a 33x9.5x15 option they came out with about a year ago or so, so you can keep in mind you still have that size available whenever you do have to change your tires

Thats good to know…

33X10.50’s would also probably fit but i like the idea of the skinny’s. Let’s see if the reality lives up to the expectation.

I am not sure what date you are thinking in July but Jeepers Jambo is in July . If you would like a Toyota Event Rubithon is in June .

I am not sure what date you are thinking in July but Jeepers Jambo is in July . If you would like a Toyota Event Rubithon is in June .

A Rubithon is certainly an option in the future but this trip is with a group of long time local friends. We did the White Rim trail in Moab last year…. Trying to do at least one serious trip together every summer.

Finished the winch install😎

Am fairly happy with how this turned out. Wanted a low, clean, yet strong mount for the 8274.

Started by cruising the net looking for ideas. A Flat Fender on Pirate named Rango was the closest to what I had in mind. Rango put the fairlead under the bumper and which necessitated welding in sleeves for the upper mounting bolts and exposed hardware on the face of the bumper. Looked like it works well but I was after something a bit cleaner than that.

Thought for a few minutes, sketched for a few more and then broke out the CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)
1A737DBC-FC49-4C79-952F-2B644CEBFA39.jpeg

Could it really be as simple as an intermediat plate bolted to the top 8274 mounts and two tabs welded on for the bottom two… Yea it can.

Roughed out the shape of the plate on the bandsaw and then cleaned it up on the mill.

Also took the time to machine the draft off the fairlead as it made fixturing for welding way easier.

1A737DBC-FC49-4C79-952F-2B644CEBFA39.jpeg
359DB70A-68E2-4F1B-9596-A41BA21F96B0.jpeg

Decided to beef up the bumper mounts at the same time. The bumper I have only had bolts through the side of the frame. Added some meat to pick up the tow hook mounting holes as well.

340D3F83-69CD-4B82-B6A6-D4AD5A915670.jpeg

Decided to respect the Cruiser gods and make the new shape a bit like the OEM bumper brace.

Tacked everything together on the truck and then pulled it for a proper burn in.

D81FC3AB-6948-40B8-B6FD-3E0650711DAB.jpeg

Countersunk both sets of bolts for the intermediate plate.

Not sure how I lived for decades without transfer punches… If you do fab work and don’t have a set, buy a set.

539F553D-1C3F-4543-B2B7-191D1A0DF7E4.jpeg

B864DA19-F96C-412F-9E8D-A14B661D391A.jpeg

Not everyone is going to like the fairlead being below the bumper but there it is. Everything is behind the approach plane as defined by the tires and shackles and it’s way higher than the drag link, tie rod, and diff.

2FF07E2E-EB0F-497E-B040-A35E80145C9F.jpeg

E8170CCB-75CA-417C-BB32-4C679EB05E53.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom