Headlight Auto Leveling help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you tell me what the resting battery voltage should be with engine off? Then voltage with it running ??
Testing the battery and the charging system isn't as simple as just checking the voltage, but if you attach a volt meter to the battery terminals while the engine is running it should be around 14 vots DC. When the engine is off, I believe it should be right around 12 volts DC. But a good shop will have a device they can use that will tell you if your battery and alternator good or not. Even if the voltage is correct it can still be bad - the Car Wizard on YouTube has posted at least one video relatively that demonstrated this. Without watching the whole video to confirm, I think this may be the one:

You mentioned a few things that prompted my comment:

"After the scan and messing around a bit I started the car and it sounded a little weak in the start. 2018 with original battery…"

and

"I had to add over a cup of fluid"

Before you start doing things like swapping out ECU's, make sure the simple stuff isn't the problem. Also keep in mind that I'm not an expert at fixing cars.

Given everything you have checked, It could be the battery.

FWIW - I replaced the original battery on my LC 2018 last year, same model year as you.

Seeing as it doesn’t seem like the dealer was checking the water - probably time to replace even though it tests ok…..

well, new battery - no change. still no workie

well, new battery - no change. still no workie
Did you actually get the old battery and the alternator tested first or just randomly replace the battery? Randomly replacing stuff will get expensive unless you get lucky. It sort of sounds like it may have been time to replace the battery anyway, but I would be careful about taking that approach with other items.

Did you actually get the old battery and the alternator tested first or just randomly replace the battery? Randomly replacing stuff will get expensive unless you get lucky. It sort of sounds like it may have been time to replace the battery anyway, but I would be careful about taking that approach with other items.
I figured it was time to replace the battery anyway. Especially since it looked like the dealer was never checking the fluid level. I was going to check the alternator but was dressed for work and didnt want to putz around till later. Guessing its accessible on the engine underside??

I figured it was time to replace the battery anyway. Especially since it looked like the dealer was never checking the fluid level. I was going to check the alternator but was dressed for work and didnt want to putz around till later. Guessing its accessible on the engine underside??
@ToyotaTrk - any updates?

Nope. Dealer says my truck doesnt have a "check" for the auto leveling even though the lights use to move on start up.... No one can tell me what controls the check or when the trucks started to have the check or when they stopped with that function / feature. Its like a nebulous cloud.

Nope. Dealer says my truck doesnt have a "check" for the auto leveling even though the lights use to move on start up.... No one can tell me what controls the check or when the trucks started to have the check or when they stopped with that function / feature. Its like a nebulous cloud.
very odd. Well at least they seem properly aimed, you’re not getting flashed.

So id still like to figure this out - the auto leveling self check not working - The E121 location of the Headlight leveling ECU - do you know what color it may be? And if its accessible by removing the drop panel below the glove box? I see the fuse box there, but not sure what the ECU looks like.

Also, a little off-topic maybe. I have the OBD Fusion app & reader and if I testing properly, I see no error codes. If you are familiar with the app & reader is there any way to give me a little help on the steps to make sure im testing properly? I always get this warning pop up that testing with the engine running can cause issues ?!? thanks a bunch!

Any help appreciated - I got a part number 89960-60052 for the Headlight Leveling ECU - spot E 121 on the diagram. The parts guy said its in the side panel of the passenger footwell. So im trying to locate it / how to remove the side panel and when I put the part number in on the Toyota site I get the damn engine ?!? Is there a different part no??

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 4.31.55 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom