Ever wonder why water gets all over the windshield when going over puddles??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always been very fustrated with this issue & don't understand why this happens? Could anyone help. I have driven many different types of vehciles and most vehicles evacuate the water to the sides nice and safely but why not this truck? I have had many cruisers in the past this is an 01 LX470. I have had a 93 FJ80 B4 same problem. Any thoughts & opinions appreciated, Thanks

I have always been very fustrated with this issue & don't understand why this happens? Could anyone help. I have driven many different types of vehciles and most vehicles evacuate the water to the sides nice and safely but why not this truck? I have had many cruisers in the past this is an 01 LX470. I have had a 93 FJ80 B4 same problem. Any thoughts & opinions appreciated, Thanks

It's a problem of physics.

Technically, you are not splashing water onto your windshield but rather splashing water up and away from the tires (at approximately the speed the tires hit the water) and then driving under the water right about the time the accelerating velocity of the fluid hits zero. It happens in most any car with the approach angle of the 100 simply because the water is moving up before the front of the car can block it.

As I see it you have two choices: Slow down so the water cannot accelerate enough to reach apex above the hood, or speed up so it apexes above the car just in time to land on the car behind you. :D

And arb does not help. It makes it worse. The wheel wells are open that much more. I hit a small puddle yesterday and it sent water pretty far out in front of me. I've been in heavy rain and ponding water oN the road it constantly coming up onto the windshield.

Trying to redeem myself after whateve I tried to say last night

This is annoying but should serve as a warning that you are going well above the speed needed to hydroplane.

In my experience, the faster you go through a puddle, the less water that ends up on the windshield.

Old thread but this is worse on my cruisers than my Ram.

...and purportedly by someone who doesn't even own a 100 series.

I always just assumed that it had to do with exposed tire (to the front), velocity, and gravity…

Maybe I’m just not inquisitive enough?

Approach angle! If you want the angle to be less then it is a car and no water splashes to the windshield

Funny to see this post because, actually, I found that quite annoying too.

I know well all the physical concepts that lead to that, still, is one of the first thing which I have found to be a noticeable difference between my 100 and all other vehicles I have driven including my 60 and ex-70.

Last edited:
Over on the Jeep forums they've got real problems. Here, we stress over our windshields getting wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom