2015 vs 16+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

December 2017
Thanks.

Mine is an 11/17. So Ive got to get that TSB update. Now the challenge will be to find a dealer who has any clue of what Im talking about and is willing to do it.

Question for anyone, can I do this reflash on my own if I have some sort of version of Techstream???

For those not liking the 8-spd shifting, how much of this can be remedied with either ECT Power or Pedal Commander?
Im always in power mode in my 80 and 200. It doesnt help the shifting issue much.

For those not liking the 8-spd shifting, how much of this can be remedied with either ECT Power or Pedal Commander?
I have tried both, to me it makes even more pronounced. but every single person that's posted about here seems to like it.

my 8-speed is clunky under 40mph. anything over that, it's smooth

no reflash available for 2018+ LC

ng, how much of this can be remedied with either ECT Power or Pedal Commander?

From what I'm seeing looks like the pedal command is the only real solution outside of custom drive mode setting, and S shift mode gear limiting.

Thanks.

Mine is an 11/17. So Ive got to get that TSB update. Now the challenge will be to find a dealer who has any clue of what Im talking about and is willing to do it.

Question for anyone, can I do this reflash on my own if I have some sort of version of Techstream???

Im a prime candidate for the TSB but I do not have any hard shifts. What are you experiencing? Are you sure its not your driveshaft bump?

While you can do any of the flashing, I'm not sure we have access to the file to write to it outside of the profession TIS subscription level.
Word of caution though I would not do something this invasive with a bootleg copy of anything even if it were possible.
Heres the TSB by the way.

LC TSB and LX attached.

One calls it TCM update (correct) the other ECM. Both are flashing the same config file / part number.

Attachments

• LC TSB.pdf
    342.2 KB · Views: 60
  • LX TSB.pdf
    394 KB · Views: 39
no reflash available for 2018+ LC
It seems there were 2 revisions to the original TSB, one being in 2018. Bighead said the refresh helped his model year 2018. I think its a matter of finding a dealer service department that will just take the time to look it up and do it.

It seems there were 2 revisions to the original TSB, one being in 2018. Bighead said the refresh helped his model year 2018. I think its a matter of finding a dealer service department that will just take the time to look it up and do it.
I hope I am not thinking about one of my previous cruisers in regards to the update. I need to check my maintenance records when I get home.

I looked into both for a long time, I went with the 16 LX and I can't imagine having an old, not as nice 15 LC when compared with my 16LX. The 16+Lx is substantially nicer and just as capable.

I looked into both for a long time, I went with the 16 LX and I can't imagine having an old, not as nice 15 LC when compared with my 16LX. The 16+Lx is substantially nicer and just as capable.

That's funny 😄 When we shopped for a 200 series last summer, the '16+ LX was quickly ruled out of consideration due to its AVP styling and joystick nav. Ultimately found a '13 LC and couldn't be happier.

This is an interesting read.

Many of you are gonna laugh at this, but most will smile.

I traded our 2011 Sequoia for a new 2019 Highlander around the first of September 2019. We generally liked the ride, MPG and I swear it drove like a tractor through hurricane-like conditions at highway speeds, but....

That 8-speed transmission was what broke the camel's back. We hated it. There's numerous complaints about it. Of course, at the time of my complaining to the dealer, there was no TSB re-prog for 2019, just 2016-2018. Somehow the computer pansies didn't make it work for 2019....yet. What was it doing? Well there would be 1.5-2.0 seconds of zero throttle response after getting back in the gas while making a turn from one road to another. And when it did respond, if you weren't mashing it to the floor, it felt like someone had hooked a 3" round cable from an aircraft carrier to the rear bumper..... sluggish.

So during the chaos of car buying-selling of the Fall of 2021, Carvana decided they wanted the Highlander a whole lot more than we did and paid me exactly what we paid for it new. Never in my life would I have ever bet on that deal coming along. I had the Carvana deal in hand, I was looking for something else. I'd been wanting a Cruiser for quite some time, just could never make it click. Happened to look on AutoTrader from some crazy thought in my head one night and BAM! There was this beautiful, extremely well-maintained 2013 LX It was ours 48 hours later and Carvana couldn't get here quick enough to remove the unwanted 8-speed tranny from my property.

Nevah again! 2015 and down for me!

One thing that I really liked about my 2013 (vs the newer models) is the beige interior and entertainment system. Some people loathe this interior color but it makes the inside of the cruiser feel huge and really nice. It is just a bit difficult to keep clean.

The older models also have the electronic rear entertainment drop down screen. We prefer this vs the headrest units as the kids will cry for TV and generally get annoying about it. Wit the rear entertainment screen, when it is off the unit folds up and out of the way. It even has a remote so the kids can control it and their own headphones so I can listen so something else on long roadtrips. This has been an amazing feature.

This is an interesting read.

Many of you are gonna laugh at this, but most will smile.

I traded our 2011 Sequoia for a new 2019 Highlander around the first of September 2019. We generally liked the ride, MPG and I swear it drove like a tractor through hurricane-like conditions at highway speeds, but....

That 8-speed transmission was what broke the camel's back. We hated it. There's numerous complaints about it. Of course, at the time of my complaining to the dealer, there was no TSB re-prog for 2019, just 2016-2018. Somehow the computer pansies didn't make it work for 2019....yet. What was it doing? Well there would be 1.5-2.0 seconds of zero throttle response after getting back in the gas while making a turn from one road to another. And when it did respond, if you weren't mashing it to the floor, it felt like someone had hooked a 3" round cable from an aircraft carrier to the rear bumper..... sluggish.

So during the chaos of car buying-selling of the Fall of 2021, Carvana decided they wanted the Highlander a whole lot more than we did and paid me exactly what we paid for it new. Never in my life would I have ever bet on that deal coming along. I had the Carvana deal in hand, I was looking for something else. I'd been wanting a Cruiser for quite some time, just could never make it click. Happened to look on AutoTrader from some crazy thought in my head one night and BAM! There was this beautiful, extremely well-maintained 2013 LX It was ours 48 hours later and Carvana couldn't get here quick enough to remove the unwanted 8-speed tranny from my property.

Nevah again! 2015 and down for me!

That was the UA80F, a totally different transmission than the AE80F that's in the 2016+ 200. And yes, the UA80F is a giant turd.

That was the UA80F, a totally different transmission than the AE80F that's in the 2016+ 200. And yes, the UA80F is a giant turd.

Where did I say the same tranny was in the Highlander as the 200 series? I'm talking about all these 8, 10, 12, 15 speed universal problem-solvers that don't. They don't get better MPGs. They don't ride better.

just saying that I have a 2015 LC and a 2018 LX. I don't hate the 8 speed in the LX (never tried the LC), it's nice and smooth, but I'd rather have the 6 speed in the LC or LX. One thing I didn't like about the 8 speed was manual downshifting going down steep inclines. the 6 speed is much better for this. I found the 8 speed useless trying to downshift myself.

Where did I say the same tranny was in the Highlander as the 200 series? I'm talking about all these 8, 10, 12, 15 speed universal problem-solvers that don't. They don't get better MPGs. They don't ride better.

Cool your tits big guy, I didn't say that you said that. But avoiding all 8-speeds because you had a bad experience one that is widely known to suck is narrow minded thinking.

I'm talking about all these 8, 10, 12, 15 speed universal problem-solvers that don't. They don't get better MPGs. T

They actually do. Even if marginally. Which, in my observation, is the driver for many things automotive. If you want to sell trucks, you gotta figure out a way to play the CAFE game. And in this game every tenth counts.

FWIW, in the Ram world the ZF 8-spd solved a lot of problems with the 6-spd. For that truck, there's not a hold-out crowd complaining of the advancement. But it's all about the execution, and it seems like ZF really got it right with the 8HP70.

8 speed has extremely hard shifting between 1 & 2 when my 2016 was delivered new.

I have to bug the s*** of the dealer service department to do the update which solved the harsh shifting

T-SB-0209-17

Some 2016 – 2017 model year Land Cruiser vehicles may exhibit one or all of the following conditions:
 Harsh shift on hard acceleration.
 The vehicle has run out of fuel. After refueling, the vehicle does not creep, or has a delayed/harsh transmission engagement.
 Shift shock 1st to 2nd gear when the water temperature is below 140° F.
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) has been revised. Use the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition.

8 speed has extremely hard shifting between 1 & 2 when my 2016 was delivered new.

I have to bug the s*** of the dealer service department to do the update which solved the harsh shifting

T-SB-0209-17
That fixed my 16 as well. My wife and I test drove a 16 LX, felt nice. Different drive in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom