LX570 and travel trailer towing with a WD hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
So I did some searching on this topic for a while last night and didn't seem to have any luck on finding a consensus. Basically my question is around towing a travel trailer with a WD hitch. We have a rather light weight 21 foot travel trailer and the previous owner gave us his WD hitch setup with it. I dont remember the brand off hand, but it is essentially just like this one
EQ-hitch-for_web-01.png

My question is, what is the best method that people like for hooking up with AHC in the mix? On my first couple of trips, I basically hooked up while in N , turned off the truck, and then lifted the tongue up a little with the trailer jack before setting the bars in place. Once the truck is turned back on, it self levels again.
I just feel like I am fighting the AHC and that it throws off the angle when the truck tries to correct itself.

Anyway, just wanted to see what other people do. My truck is an 09.

I use the same Equalizer hitch with an 8k trailer. It works beautifully with AHC.

Yes, what you're describing is correct to use the tongue jack to lift high enough to engage the bars on the brackets. That's standard practice for most every WD setup.

I find with my setup, I can put AHC in high and with just a bit more lift from the tongue jack, get the bars on by hand. It'll be the right tension at N height.

AHC lowers at speed on the freeway. This creates a nice interaction as WD tension increases with speed to create more stability when it's needed. Also allows a bit less tension at normal height which creates better articulation around town.

Another great thing is you can use AHC high on demand to relax the WD bars. Useful when entering steep driveways, gutters, or BLM off-road destinations.

AHC is pretty incredible. I'm on a long trip with 6. Just CAT scaled in at 15,620lbs. LX scaling in at 8580lbs and rides blissfully. Sure I've modified it, but AHC does incredible things if you work to its advantages.

Awesome thanks for the reply! Do you put the trailer on the ball while you are in N and then pop it up to High when you set the bars? Sounds like it, just wanted to make sure

I have the same hitch too and, after it is set up correctly for the weight, I back under the hitch in low and then go to high. Like teckis I can put the bars on by hand if I’m on level ground and then we’re ready to go. Opposite procedure to unhitch, back in in high, drop the bars and trailer jack and lower the truck and drive away. The only time I touch the trailer jack is to lift it for travel or to level the parked trailer.

I also have AHC and have never had to use the trailer jack to set the bars. I do, however, use this so called "snap up" lever most of the time to set or remove the bars. I also sometimes look for undulations or small hills in the road or camp area that tilt the front of the vehicle and the back of the trailer down ( like this ^ ) to make the bars easier to remove by hand or with the pry bar. Even my driveway has enough to a tilt to do this.

I also always remove my bars as soon as I get to the campground or camping area to make it easier to back into spots.

Amazon product ASIN B004BC97PW
Here's a particularly tight spot I was in a few weeks ago. Uphill with a tight turn between giant rocks by myself! It took me a few tries to get it in there, but I'm really picky about positioning, especially when I will be there for a few days.

IMG_7905.jpeg

IMG_7884.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom