Builds Project Gonzo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve already had my first HAMOM for it, so I guess I should start a thread for my new project. The Crasin was fun, but I’m done dumping money into a “budget wheeler.” It will be parted out to provide a bunch of small parts for the new build, and some bigger parts for my other cruisers.

Ironically, the 80 that I stole the axles from for the Crasin ended up on my trailer. It’s a VERY bare shell. Forklifts are great for loading it, but I had no way to unload once I get it home. Thanks to @Trollhole and @White Sheep for helping me throw some spare parts under it to make it a roller at the first (of many) HAMOM.

The plan is to drop in a 6.0 LS that I have, buy Ford super duty axles, and run a ford NP205 with an ecobox doubler. Also, major body mods.
95CD88C3-DA82-4F66-BB6C-4B33EA269B95.jpeg

533C66C6-C0FE-4EDF-AEF8-259D7482A5D0.jpeg

Sub'd for sure. I'll be watching as I'm very interested in the V8 swap. Once I get the 60 done I'm rolling the 62 back in and I've decided to do an LS swap while it's all apart. I see you've got the 6.0 but would you have been happy with a 5.3, or will I regret the smaller of the two long term? I can get donors all day long that run and drive with 5.3s in them. And at around 300hp/330ftlb that's a nice bump in hp, like double. But maybe 6.0s are a dime a dozen too, I don't know about this whole Chevy V8 world.

Sub'd for sure. I'll be watching as I'm very interested in the V8 swap. Once I get the 60 done I'm rolling the 62 back in and I've decided to do an LS swap while it's all apart. I see you've got the 6.0 but would you have been happy with a 5.3, or will I regret the smaller of the two long term? I can get donors all day long that run and drive with 5.3s in them. And at around 300hp/330ftlb that's a nice bump in hp, like double. But maybe 6.0s are a dime a dozen too, I don't know about this whole Chevy V8 world.
The only reason it’s getting LS power, is because I have it. My friends wife’s 06 Yukon was totaled by their son. I bought it from insurance and scrapped the rest. I’m just over $500 into the motor and trans.

I'm also doing a 6.0. I think the big difference is going to be gas mileage and towing. They talk about it on the 8x Series V8 Swaps forum.

I love the direction you're going. Before I purchased my Taco. I was planning on putting a LQ9, nv4500. 4sp atlas. and One tons.... But I sold my FZJ80 when I was in Kuwait. Only thing I have left from my plans is a Van width 14 bolt.

I have the cruiser, I have the engine, I have the links, and now I’ve got tons!
26FF055D-FDE4-446B-8E21-A879D22BAE39.jpeg

Hopefully (not likely) the tax man is friendly to me this year. Anything I get back will go straight towards getting the t-case and doubler set up. First thing to do though is get the axles stripped. YAY hours of cutting and grinding!!!! After that I’m still undecided about buying or building axle trusses. I’m leaning towards buying a low profile truss for the front, and building my own rear.

I’m having second thoughts on the low profile truss. Will the added strength be worth the it? I’m mostly concerned with clearance to the frame because I’d like to try and keep the ride height as low as I can.

66881A5D-BFC8-4589-BB61-497E99C96B86.png

3F1AB02A-2DCC-4707-8C68-B5DC0357EE1E.png

Axle is strong enough as is. Go with whichever truss will help make your link geometry more ideal.

I agree with Johnny, the axle is super strong as it is. Also, fwiw I’m not a fan of low ride height, I make that statement fully understanding this is your build but here’s some food for thought. In the last 5 years I’ve seen 1 person tip over and they were fine and so was their truck. Every wheeling trip I’ve been on I’ve seen someone high center the body of their rig on a rock. Seems like low clearance causes more issues than high center of G.

I agree with Johnny, the axle is super strong as it is. Also, fwiw I’m not a fan of low ride height, I make that statement fully understanding this is your build but here’s some food for thought. In the last 5 years I’ve seen 1 person tip over and they were fine and so was their truck. Every wheeling trip I’ve been on I’ve seen someone high center the body of their rig on a rock. Seems like low clearance causes more issues than high center of G.
I agree with a lot of that, but I’m starting from the ground up here. I’m planning on cutting out firewall/trans tunnel to move the drivetrain back and up a little, and push the axle forward a touch. That should help with approach angle, front diff to engine clearance, and allow me to make the belly completely flat with a 1/4” skid plate. If I’m starting with a bare body/chassis, I might as well just go wild.
Axle is strong enough as is. Go with whichever truss will help make your link geometry more ideal.
I also agree that the axle is plenty strong, I’m probably going overkill, but screw it, I’m already here. On the link geometry note. I’ve been watching videos trying to learn and get tips, but that’s about it. I think it’s just going to get figured out when it’s being built. I’d like to play with link calculator, but I don’t have a computer that will run it.

Low as possible and wide. You get most of your clearance from tire height, not lift height.

Also,

Also,

I’m on irate, I have access to the calculator, I just don’t have a computer lol

Hold my beer!

Axles are stripped of all the stock suspension mounts.
8F500B13-6F64-4DF8-B937-B4F66EC7A1DE.jpeg

Ford was not joking around with these rear leaf spring perches.
A31CFAA8-59F5-48C6-824D-BACBF93B30D0.jpeg

I’ll hopefully be picking up the front truss next week. Unfortunately the rear truss is out of stock right now. I should be able to order some wheels in the next week or 2. Then it’s time to roll the truck in and start stripping the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom