Builds Project Gonzo (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Axle trusses have been ordered. Bonus, Barnes 4wd is only 45 min from me. I can pick them up instead of paying for a bunch of steel plate to be shipped.
DB698AC2-117F-45D1-83E0-4765A7ED1E26.jpeg

Wheels will be ordered next week. The only thing left to do after that is strip the frame of all the stock mounts. YAY! More hours of cutting and grinding! I’ve been planning this build for almost 2 years and I’m really excited to have collected enough parts to finally start putting them all together.

Those are ****in nice.

Seriously, doing that much welding on an axle can warp it bad, even on wontons. Put it on a flat-ish table, chain the ends down tight, put a little pressure up on the center with a bottle jack then wrap it up in welding blankets when you're done welding so it cools slow. Baller mode is checking it with an alignment bar before and after welding.

Those are f***in nice.

Seriously, doing that much welding on an axle can warp it bad, even on wontons. Put it on a flat-ish table, chain the ends down tight, put a little pressure up on the center with a bottle jack then wrap it up in welding blankets when you're done welding so it cools slow. Baller mode is checking it with an alignment bar before and after welding.
They are nice, and only $400 for the pair! Unfortunately I need to do some more serious cutting/grinding on the cast spring perch area for the front to fit right. Like cutting 2” off all the way around. 🤦🏼

I will definitely take precautions when final welding happens. For now I just want to get them stuck on enough to build suspension. Then it will all come apart and get burned in.

Both trusses are attached to the axles. I spent all day sat working on the front. I got the rear mostly fitting mon night after work, but when it was made it wasn’t bent in the brake perfectly straight, so the torch came out tonight to get it heated up and back in line. I’ve still got some welding to do on the rear for it to be solid enough to continue building suspension.
E04AC635-26D8-4DA4-9CD5-062CF7B3A48D.jpeg

I ordered wheels sat night, but unfortunately they’re on back order. I’m hoping to have my rock rings and inner air locks by the relic run so I can finally make this thing a roller with links and tons, once the wheels show up that is.

I checked my order status on the wheels and Summit racing had an estimated ship date of July 31st! I canceled my order, and paid slightly more for them through discount tire. I should have wheels in about a week.

I never thought buying a set a basic steel wheels would be such a hassle. I checked my email this morning and discount tire contacted me saying they didn’t have the soft 8 in stock and had no estimate on when they could get them. I changed my order to the old school D windows that they do have in stock for the same price.

I’ve also been doing a lot more reading on link geometry. Even without link calculator I’m pretty sure I can do the math and get things close to where I want it. I’m going to try and get the truck into the shop soon and start stripping the frame bare to start on the links. Once all that is mocked up I’ll be having a HAMOM for the body mods and some cage work. Time to start planning that and collecting the tube/sheet metal that’s needed.

About damn time!
3C806EDA-C15C-483C-91FE-FA0FCE8C09DC.jpeg

As soon as I get my money back from summit racing for the first set I ordered, I’ll be ordering inner air locks. Still waiting on tax money for T-case stuff, but that should be the last big piece I need. Then the build can nickel and dime me to death for the next year.

I’ve been researching and pricing out transfer case options 🤯. I’m actually starting to lean towards an atlas 4 speed. They’re really pricey, but damn do I want one! I’m also considering an eco box doubler to a ford NP205.

I’ve been researching and pricing out transfer case options 🤯. I’m actually starting to lean towards an atlas 4 speed. They’re really pricey, but damn do I want one! I’m also considering an eco box doubler to a ford NP205.
Atlas has a 18-20 week lead time on builds right now. I was looking the other day too. Would be super sweet though.

Atlas has a 18-20 week lead time on builds right now. I was looking the other day too. Would be super sweet though.
Yeah, the wait does suck, but I could get the engine/trans mocked up and continue the build while I wait. If it needs to move a little when I get the case I can do that. I figure it’ll take me until GSMTR 2024 to actually finish the build, so I’m not in a huge rush if it means getting what I want, and doing it right the first time.

Ecobox to gm 32 spline 205. Works good in moonshine
I know, and I’m still considering that route. I still need to do a little more research to figure out what the price difference will be in the end since I’m starting with nothing. I know the eco box/205 combo will be cheaper, but how much cheaper vs a freshly built bulletproof setup? Again I’m not saying my mind has been made up, but a guy can dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom