470 Makes Noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
'99 LX470 - 214k miles.

For a while I have heard a noise like a loose heat shield when going over bumps/irregularities. I feel like it is coming from the passenger side, maybe from the middle of the vehicle. I wish I could figure out what it is. Every time I am underneath the truck I check anything to see if it is loose or may make that noise like a loose piece of sheet metal. I have checked the dust shields for the brakes, heat shields for exhaust, dust shields on the AHC. No luck...

I have another noise that is newer. When I hop in, I hear a creaking noise, even when the truck is off. I have some thoughts on this. When I replace the steering rack (back in '18?), I used a poly bushing and that creaked until I put some lube on it. I don't remember what the lube was, maybe it came with the bushing kit? Maybe the rack bushing needs to be lubed again? I recently replaced the rear driveshaft as it was making a bad creaking noise when backing up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks y'all!

Your first noise regarding the sound similar to a loose heat shield is something I've been chasing in my 03 LX470 for a few months now. At first I thought it was my UCA that had a torn boot (which admittedly did contribute to the noise over bumps in the road) but after replacing, it's still making that rattle. I am also unable to track down where it's coming from, and have also replaced the sway bar bushings in an attempt to stop the noise.

I've also noticed that it has started rattling when I am in Drive, but stopped completely. When I place it in Park, it doesn't rattle anymore.

Your first noise regarding the sound similar to a loose heat shield is something I've been chasing in my 03 LX470 for a few months now. At first I thought it was my UCA that had a torn boot (which admittedly did contribute to the noise over bumps in the road) but after replacing, it's still making that rattle. I am also unable to track down where it's coming from, and have also replaced the sway bar bushings in an attempt to stop the noise.

I've also noticed that it has started rattling when I am in Drive, but stopped completely. When I place it in Park, it doesn't rattle anymore.

I am sorry you are chasing the same!

As for the rattle in D, do you still have the plastic engine cover on? I think there are some foam insulators under that to keep it from rattling, but they get brittle, or fall off.
LMK!

I have the same rattle over bumps in my ‘03. I have new bushings for the shocks to install. We’ll see if it helps.

For the D rattle, gets new engine and transmission mounts, as well as the differential mounts. Huge difference in smoothness!

I had a similar rattle to your first described noise and it turned out to be the factory muffler starting to come apart. from what I remember, it had an outer layer that came loose.

I had a similar rattle to your first described noise and it turned out to be the factory muffler starting to come apart. from what I remember, it had an outer layer that came loose.
Was it rusty? Mine is not.

The rattle is likely loose heat shields on the catalytic converters, a large ring clamp or two will greatly reduce the rattle. I had originally rebooted my upper balls joint a couple years ago, but over the last few months when I got in or got out there was moan that turned into a squeak. After replacing upper control arms with greaseable ball joints, all is well again.

Last edited:
For the creak, get a mechanic's stethoscope, lay under your truck and put the probe end on various ends/bushings while some does what makes the noise (rock the truck, get in/out). Should be able to narrow down where it's coming from.

I feel like that could be it!
The noise seems like it could be that type of metal, and that location!

The rattle is likely loose heat shields on the catalytic converters, a large ring clamp or two will greatly reduce the rattle. I had originally rebooted my upper balls joint a couple years ago, but over the last few months when I got in or got out there was moan that turned into a squeak. After replacing upper control arms with greaseable ball joints, all is well again.
I feel like this could be my situation as well!

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom