Cell booster antenna mount location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Is this a bad idea? Seems to work with no interference with swingout. I know it would work better getting it mounted higher but I also don’t want it getting hit constantly with trees and I want to be able to get in my garage.

1887F555-21E9-4209-AB13-F58FD2A8F4BA.jpeg

I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. Main thing with these things is the make sure the outside antenna doesn’t pick up signal from the inside one.

I mounted mine on my swingarm.

1655347891896.jpeg

i saw some coverage from Overland Expo that showed the rep from WeBoost saying they were releasing some kind of "fold over" system "by the end of the year" (really - why taken/taking so long) for getting it higher on the roof...

at trip to HamRadio outlet would likely find you enough parts to do something before then...

i think the main issue would be RF shadows from the vehicle - ie if the tower were located somewhere 8 o'clock - 12- o'clock from the perspective of the vehicle front - you wouldn't get the benefit of the booster, and you might actually get worse performance if the mobile is latched to the booster.

Is this a bad idea? Seems to work with no interference with swingout. I know it would work better getting it mounted higher but I also don’t want it getting hit constantly with trees and I want to be able to get in my garage.

View attachment 3035317
I had mine mounted like this for a short time on my GX build. The problem I ran into was at freeway speeds the antenna would sway quite a bit b/c of the spring at the base and sometimes the antenna would slap the truck on a rebound. Not saying it won't work, just be aware...

I had mine mounted like this for a short time on my GX build. The problem I ran into was at freeway speeds the antenna would sway quite a bit b/c of the spring at the base and sometimes the antenna would slap the truck on a rebound. Not saying it won't work, just be aware...
Yup. Can confirm this is an issue. Went to Minnesota and back (~1200 miles) and it wagged all over the place. It didn't hurt anything but wasn't good. I moved it to my accessory tray and built a small structure out of scrap aluminum I had on hand to raise it up and let me shorten the "whip".

0130637D-7B62-4336-A9B8-0A4E7A61D822.jpeg
958E64C0-AF01-4475-A7E1-B025FC1171D7.jpeg
81F9A9D7-F192-409B-A33D-B1EA89BD0E13.jpeg

It’s pretty steady at 80 mph in this location

The question is how often does one really drive in a "heavily forested" trail . Now the garage is another thing.

I do - a lot actually. And I’ve got the pinstripes to prove it. Living in the PNW, our trails become overgrown with pretty amazing speed - especially years like this one with higher than average rainfall. In fact, just last weekend I was on a trail and visited a campsite that I was on just a little over a year ago. There was so much growth that it was unrecognizable! I only knew that I was definitely in the same place because I’d bookmarked the coordinates.

I do - a lot actually. And I’ve got the pinstripes to prove it. Living in the PNW, our trails become overgrown with pretty amazing speed - especially years like this one with higher than average rainfall. In fact, just last weekend I was on a trail and visited a campsite that I was on just a little over a year ago. There was so much growth that it was unrecognizable! I only knew that I was definitely in the same place because I’d bookmarked the coordinates.
Same. Ultimately, I will either add some kind of "telescoping" feature to my new bracket or maybe just make another lower mounting point that I can switch too when needed. Or, when in my local offroad areas, I don't really need the booster, I may just take it off and throw the antenna in the back.

Here’s better pics where mine ended up with the comet rs-840

The 840 joint is indexed, so it can’t be vertical in both planes.
I went with tipped out at first (about 5 deg off vertical), and got some yo-yo/ wind buffet (though it never hit the rig).
Now it is about 10deg off toward inward, and it doesn’t move at all.

Also mostly out of the way if the brush around here which can be ridiculous.

The base of the can is at roofline.

7459CE67-B7AA-4F24-82AA-2C52E1C047AB.jpeg

BE639229-67CD-4C98-8EA9-F57DE653EEA1.jpeg

Went out last weekend with local club to an off-road park in Mart Twain National forest. As I figured, antenna take a beating. I had to take my weboost antenna off and zip tie it lower. I added a “down scope” mode to my mount:

A9BDF648-F52A-4887-971D-95312AF15C9B.jpeg
454695E7-F8B8-485F-AC3D-EF1611A80DC2.jpeg

Also, the mast joint by the spring came loose and I JB welded it back together. Really wagged around at 85 mph coming home from the weekend.

F8C22268-AD27-4FB9-ADB8-03F537E167BF.jpeg

Went out last weekend with local club to an off-road park in Mart Twain National forest. As I figured, antenna take a beating. I had to take my weboost antenna off and zip tie it lower. I added a “down scope” mode to my mount:

View attachment 3117531View attachment 3117532

Also, the mast joint by the spring came loose and I JB welded it back together. Really wagged around at 85 mph coming home from the weekend.

View attachment 3117535

Take the spring off to reduce/eliminate the "wagging".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom