Steering gear box issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I’ve got some questions. I have recently pulled my steering gear box off my 80. It was leaking very bad. I have been quoted almost a new gear box to rebuild one. I am not complaining about the price but if I am going to spend that kind of money I feel I should buy new. I have seen on here but cannot find a company that sells new boxes. I am up in the air if I want oem or an equivalent aftermarket. If anyone knows the name, thanks! Any suggestions also, thanks!

Have Red Head Steering rebuild it. It will be good as new, and way better than aftermarket rebuilt (Cardone etc)

2nd on Red Head rebuilt OEM vs other rebuilds. I can't remember exact cost but it was much less than new and higher than most other rebuild options. Their turn around time on both initial delivery and refund of the core charge was very quick.

Rough idea on what they charge to rebuild?
I just had one rebuilt. It was around $500 but they had to replace the sector shaft because it was fubar. It would be less if yours is in good shape. They didn't have any in stock to send out, so I had to send the one I had to have it done. Had it back in a week.

Yeah, spend around $400 for a quality rebuild or $2000 for a new one. :rofl:
Your math is off, bud, and so is your assessment of a completely new box warrantied by T v. rebuilt + time.

Last edited:
Red head all day and they offer a warranty that you won’t need, I have had a couple done by them. Unfortunately they don’t have any in stock for the 80 but you can send yours in and they will make it like new. They can also add ports if you want to add hydro boost in the future. They are out of auburn wa. You can upgrade to a heavy duty version also but that’s almost double the price!

Yeah, spend around $400 for a quality rebuild or $2000 for a new one. :rolleyes:
I understand the sticker shock here, but the new Toyota boxes already come with 105 series internals. So if you purchase the sector shaft pieces and arm to upgrade your already tired and tweaked old box, plus add shipping, and time waiting to have a drivable 80... If my math is somewhat close a normal person will be $1200 on a rebuilt box from red head with stronger parts.

2 grand plus new arm is steep for most, but also take into consideration it has the Toyota warranty and it is all completely new. If I hadn't purchased a new aftermarket box, I would have gone this route. I like the fact that I don't have to trust a rebuilder that the majority say has a good product, and wait for weeks. But I also have my used box on my shop floor starting at me saying it needs a bigger shaft.

Another vote for Red Head. Had them rebuild my original w/ the 105 shaft. I think a standard rebuild is roughly $500. I already had the 105 shaft so no added cost for them to use that. It definitely would be less than new OEM which, yes, does come w/ the 105 shaft. The prices on the OEM box have been creeping up lately.

Rebuild yourself? They're not too bad, even just the outer seals and leave the internal valve components alone. Cost like $50 for a rockauto seal kit.

I'd drill and tap the box for hydro assist and plug the ports if I was in your shoes. Save a fair bit of time in the future if you go that route.

I understand the sticker shock here, but the new Toyota boxes already come with 105 series internals. So if you purchase the sector shaft pieces and arm to upgrade your already tired and tweaked old box, plus add shipping, and time waiting to have a drivable 80... If my math is somewhat close a normal person will be $1200 on a rebuilt box from red head with stronger parts.

2 grand plus new arm is steep for most, but also take into consideration it has the Toyota warranty and it is all completely new. If I hadn't purchased a new aftermarket box, I would have gone this route. I like the fact that I don't have to trust a rebuilder that the majority say has a good product, and wait for weeks. But I also have my used box on my shop floor starting at me saying it needs a bigger shaft.

It would be one thing if OP was complaining about breaking a sector shaft and needing a solution, but his only complaint is a leaking box. Suggesting he go spend 5x more money than what he needs to fix his problem for an upgrade most people don't even need is a bit much.

The prices on the OEM box have been creeping up lately.
No.

Amayama's actually selling 44110-60212 for less than when I bought mine back in October 2021 and still a far cry from the near $3K p tag via legit US Toyota parts counters.

To anyone reading this long into the thread, you're going to get a number of opinions as varied as the state of 80 health/mods we all witness in this very forum. 🤷‍♂️

Buy new --> comes assembled with 105 shaft --> confidence that everything is Toyota fresh --> least amount of down time --> good for another umpteen reliable years/miles --> never regret being a casualty of NLA --> keep your og box as back up --> highest cost.

Reseal/"rebuild" with 105 sector shaft --> make sure you get the 105 pitman arm --> consider replacing the pistons and balls, etc --> getting close to new box pricing present day (~$1800 shipped)

Reseal/"rebuild" as-is --> lowest cost --> no idea whether you're experiencing a truly new steering box

YMMV. Gl!

It would be one thing if OP was complaining about breaking a sector shaft and needing a solution, but his only complaint is a leaking box. Suggesting he go spend 5x more money than what he needs to fix his problem for an upgrade most people don't even need is a bit much.
Your math and simpleton thinking is the real problem here. lol That Uhaul truck really isn't $19.99 for the whole day.

I'm going from when I looked at buying a new one last summer and, maybe it was a deal, it wasn't $1800. That's why I was on the fence with rebuilding vs buying new. Rebuilding still came out cheaper even w/ getting the 105 shaft and pitman arm. Now they're $1800+ so in my experience, yes, it has gone up. For me, I already had a rebuilt Cardone on the truck so I had a spare and the time to wait for the original to be rebuilt/upgraded.

Long story short, yes, lots of different opinions and experiences blah blah.

In reading the OP comment, he was comparing the quote for his badly leaking box being rebuilt to an actual new box. We don't know if his steering gear is original in mechanically good working order that just needs seals, or is a cheap reman that will need all new internals once opened up. I gave my story as well as multiple options. I wanted to rebuild mine as well, but my 80 had a non-leaking reman that was giving me less assist and felt rough compared to any other 80 I have driven. I looked around for rebuild options/upgrade options/and new options. I chose new aftermarket with a warranty for $400. In keeping this thread relevant, I am giving some additional numbers for the OP to source that are affordable and little downtime. These are two "New" options from rock auto with no core charge. I am running the BBB box with zero complaints for a year now. I am on 35's and run travel to occasional remote fishing spots that have some crawling and can require a locker.

1655396568701.png

Long story short, yes, lots of different opinions and experiences blah blah.
Agreed.

And Google is your friend, folks. I'm not pulling my #s from a non-public source with some secret sauce VIP rates. Your VISA is as good as my VISA.

From just now:

1655396935906.png

Your math and simpleton thinking is the real problem here. lol That Uhaul truck really isn't $19.99 for the whole day.

With your thinking everyone with a valve cover leak should just go buy a new engine with forged internals.

I've installed quite a few red head Steering boxes in customer vehicles. I have no idea how they handle their warranty as I've never had one come back. They have a good rep for a reason. I have had off the shelf rebuilt ones come back or be crap out of the box, which is why I stay away from them. Not everyone can afford to drop big coin on upgrades, and I don't start assuming they can.

Trust me, i don't like substandard parts either. They cost me money having to redo them.

Last edited:
No.

Amayama's actually selling 44110-60212 for less than when I bought mine back in October 2021 and still a far cry from the near $3K p tag via legit US Toyota parts counters.

To anyone reading this long into the thread, you're going to get a number of opinions as varied as the state of 80 health/mods we all witness in this very forum. 🤷‍♂️

Buy new --> comes assembled with 105 shaft --> confidence that everything is Toyota fresh --> least amount of down time --> good for another umpteen reliable years/miles --> never regret being a casualty of NLA --> keep your og box as back up --> highest cost.

Reseal/"rebuild" with 105 sector shaft --> make sure you get the 105 pitman arm --> consider replacing the pistons and balls, etc --> getting close to new box pricing present day (~$1800 shipped)

Reseal/"rebuild" as-is --> lowest cost --> no idea whether you're experiencing a truly new steering box

YMMV. Gl!
Now this is what you should have started your response with in this thread. Would have saved everyone a lot of typing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom