Sahara Power Steering Box Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas I tried to read through post but couldn’t find any Answers to my issue. I have a 1992 HDJ vx sahara. My power steering is super light and has heeps of play in the steering wheel at highway speeds. It also becomes super hard to turn the steering wheel at idle when not moving. I have the Sahara box which has progressive power steering with that little solenoid which is supposed to make the steering harder at highspeed and easier to turn at low speeds when using the factory lockers.

1.Is it worth trying to tighten the steering box to stop the massive amount of steering play at highway speeds and is it the same process as the non progressive steering boxes to tighten ?

2. Would a faulty solenoid cause the super heavy steering at idle and super light steering at highway speeds ? It’s like it’s working the wrong way around that it’s supposed to

Any help much appreciated Cheers
here’s a picture of my rig
D90DEF56-8622-481B-A89C-BAD816D4C9C9.jpeg

Based upon the picture it appears that you have a significant suspension lift. Do you have any caster correction that has been added. The symptoms you describe could very well be caused by lack of caster. I suggest you get a front end alignment and post the results here as a starting point.

Based upon the picture it appears that you have a significant suspension lift. Do you have any caster correction that has been added. The symptoms you describe could very well be caused by lack of caster. I suggest you get a front end alignment and post the results here as a starting point.
Hey mate yeah it’s sitting about 5” in the front with superior caster corrected arms to suit the lift

The hard to turn at low RPM sounds like it is not functioning properly. I should say that I don't have any experience with a variable amplification steering box--just normal old 80 boxes.

But were it me I'd guess the box itself may be toast. Re solution, I have a friend who ordered a new 105 steering box and a special steering arm for it and ended up with very nice, tight steering. You being in AUS should have pretty good access to a 105 box. I've played with the adjustment screw on an 80 box and it has an effect, but it is a fine adjustment.

I've got a late petrol 80 whose steering is just a little loose at highway speeds. A guy whose knowledge is vastly greater than mine says that incorrect camber is the cause of a lot of highway speed wandering. I've been meaning to check my camber, but if that does not work I think I may shell out the 1300 USD for the brand new 105 box and arm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom