New Michelin AT tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have found the Defender LTX to be better in heavy rain at speed than any tire I have used, ever. This is in Florida with sudden massive thunderstorm downpours. The Defenders have tested as good or better than pretty much anything on not hydroplaning. There must be something wrong with sogafarm’s vehicle or the tires if hydroplaning is a problem with Michelin Defenders. Or the vehicle is being driven way too fast for conditions. Or perhaps they are way over inflated?
Maybe I just need to change my driving whiskey to whatever you all are drinking.

Last edited:
As to the LTX Trail, they look just as tame as the Defenders do…they don’t look much like an AT tire to me. I’m skeptical that they’re any better on or off road than the Defenders. I don’t really see much in the way of voids for off road traction.

There are other mild AT tires like the Continental TerrainContact that are road focused but still have some shoulder voids, for looks if nothing else.

I’ll be interested to hear how these new tires perform vs the Defenders or the AT2’s. Plenty of people run Michelin Defenders off road in anything other than mud, I’m skeptical these will be any better off road. I suppose if the sidewalls are more puncture resistant it would be a good thing.
Can’t really disagree. Certainly interested to see if this trail model performs solid where advertised - even if only down under.

Side by side to your point:

440AF722-D9A8-40AA-A1C3-11726BB7101E.jpeg

A46F069D-1EC1-45E5-B300-424D4C9C9F29.jpeg

Can’t really disagree. Certainly interested to see if this trail model performs solid where advertised - even if only down under.

Side by side to your point:

View attachment 2981106

View attachment 2981107
Looking at the two side by side (thanks by the way!), it does not seem like LTX trail has that much more void than Defender…so probably bad in mud just like Defender. Trail definitely has less siping than Defender, which makes it worst in rain/sleek but maybe less chunking of tread?? And the sidewall of Trail definitely has more traction surface than Defender which may make it better when aired down.

Yeah, more and more, i think that this Trail in 265/70/18 will be my next tire. Perfect balance b/w Defender and KO2.

Various pics from Tundra with Off road package.

LTX Trail looks to be very mild. Not sure if it has much more void area than the Defender.

7EA7FDD6-AF83-40FE-8309-C9A5BBA3C787.png

CB256DCF-3CBB-4425-87EA-413AE5FF7D34.png

25B85FBB-E8FC-49FA-972B-253B4EFE0936.png

The Revo 3 is a similar looking tire to the trail and it looks pretty good for an everyday tire.

CF1BFB13-3E1D-49EE-B820-23AE4243A8D7.png

The Revo 3 is a similar looking tire to the trail and it looks pretty good for an everyday tire.

View attachment 3072321
Revo3 is an old tire that i have been following for a while. Not the strongest sidewall. Fairly noisy on highway. Decent in rain and bad weather.

Personally, REVO is long overdue for a 4th version because version 2 and 3 did not match the original version‘s class-leading design.

Revo3 is an old tire that i have been following for a while. Not the strongest sidewall. Fairly noisy on highway. Decent in rain and bad weather.

Personally, REVO is long overdue for a 4th version because version 2 and 3 did not match the original version‘s class-leading design.
Noisy?!?! Come on man! Noisy is not what I when traveling on my 400mi. road trips and was hoping this was a decently quiet tire. Oh, well I’ll just keep searching

Noisy?!?! Come on man! Noisy is not what I when traveling on my 400mi. road trips and was hoping this was a decently quiet tire. Oh, well I’ll just keep searching
Well, that is what i have read thru the years on that tire. So, YMMV. But yeah, i rather get Defender before REVO3…it does look cool tho.

I am “hoping” that the LTX TRAIL is a mix b/w Defender and an AT tire. I tried getting feedback on Tundra forum…nothing. :(

Well, that is what i have read thru the years on that tire. So, YMMV. But yeah, i rather get Defender before REVO3…it does look cool tho.

I am “hoping” that the LTX TRAIL is a mix b/w Defender and an AT tire. I tried getting feedback on Tundra forum…nothing. :(
Can’t someone just make the perfect tire for my needs. :woot: Well, maybe I’ll just give the General Grabber APT a shot or Yoko Geo AT G015. The defender would just look a like generic on my 200. Funny, it’s looks fine on an non-lifted cruiser.

Last edited:
Can’t someone just make the perfect tire for my needs. :woot: Well, maybe I’ll just give the General Grabber APT a shot or Yoko Geo AT G015. The defender would just look a like generic on my 200. Funny, it’s looks fine on a non-lifted cruiser.
I too love G015…i trust big brand over smaller ones (e.g. General). G015 LT looks great! The P-metric looks bland IMO. But G015 reportedly does not get the best fuel economy.

I too love G015…i trust big brand over smaller ones (e.g. General). G015 LT looks great! The P-metric looks bland IMO. But G015 reportedly does not get the best fuel economy.
I read some reviews about mpg dropping as well. Definitely don’t need to visit the fuel station more often but can’t me any worse then my Ridge grapplers.

I’ll be curious what an LT rated version of the Trail looks like. Seems to me it’s not uncommon for the P rating versions of AT’s to be lackluster (upwards of 3/16” difference in tread depth), and often milder sidewalls.

I’ll be curious what an LT rated version of the Trail looks like. Seems to me it’s not uncommon for the P rating versions of AT’s to be lackluster (upwards of 3/16” difference in tread depth), and often milder sidewalls.
It does not seem like it is offered in LT.

Yup. That's the problem. It looks gooberish and lame. Just performance is incomparable.
I just saw a parked Lexus GX with defenders. Yep, looked “gooberish”. Lol!

Interesting thread. Especially the advocacy from @Pskhaat for the performance of the Defender LTX, despite the "gooberish" aesthetics. LOL. In the often recommended 275/70 R18 size, the Defender LTX is an E rated LT tire and a 125 load index. It's heavier than the popular Toyo AT3 at 57 vs 52 lbs. Clearly a rugged carcass, despite the tame look.

There is also another Michelin with similar specs in this size - the LTX A/T2. I haven't read anything on here yet about this tire, but maybe I've missed it. Is anybody running this tire? It does look a little tougher...

1659373538315.png

And the description targets a more off-road use case...

All-terrain, all-season, all with one tire—the Michelin LTX A/T 2 light truck tire provides a great balance of off-road toughness and on-road comfort.

Experience industry-leading MaxTouch® Construction, which evenly distributes road forces to help retain tire integrity. Backed by an aggressive tread pattern, The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is made of a durable compound that resists chips and tears to handle the toughest off-road environments.

Off-road performance doesn't come at a sacrifice to on-road comfort. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 provides dependable all-season road traction thanks to circumferential grooves that resist moisture for maximum grip.

Michelin LTX A/T 2 Features

• Michelin Comfort Control Technology reduces road noise and vibrations
  • Strong, off-road durability helps extend the tire's life by at least 35% longer than leading competitors, according to Michelin
  • Get reliable all-terrain traction on gravel from Michelin's MaxTouch Construction that produces a wider, more aggressive contact patch

Interesting thread. Especially the advocacy from @Pskhaat for the performance of the Defender LTX, despite the "gooberish" aesthetics. LOL. In the often recommended 275/70 R18 size, the Defender LTX is an E rated LT tire and a 125 load index. It's heavier than the popular Toyo AT3 at 57 vs 52 lbs. Clearly a rugged carcass, despite the tame look.

There is also another Michelin with similar specs in this size - the LTX A/T2. I haven't read anything on here yet about this tire, but maybe I've missed it. Is anybody running this tire? It does look a little tougher...

View attachment 3074996

And the description targets a more off-road use case...

All-terrain, all-season, all with one tire—the Michelin LTX A/T 2 light truck tire provides a great balance of off-road toughness and on-road comfort.

Experience industry-leading MaxTouch® Construction, which evenly distributes road forces to help retain tire integrity. Backed by an aggressive tread pattern, The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is made of a durable compound that resists chips and tears to handle the toughest off-road environments.

Off-road performance doesn't come at a sacrifice to on-road comfort. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 provides dependable all-season road traction thanks to circumferential grooves that resist moisture for maximum grip.

Michelin LTX A/T 2 Features

• Michelin Comfort Control Technology reduces road noise and vibrations
  • Strong, off-road durability helps extend the tire's life by at least 35% longer than leading competitors, according to Michelin
  • Get reliable all-terrain traction on gravel from Michelin's MaxTouch Construction that produces a wider, more aggressive contact patch
The Michelin AT2 looks more aggressive, but everything I have read says it’s actually not as good as the Defenders, on road or off. The AT2 is much worse in snow from reviews I’ve seen, and it has a reputation for throwing rocks and gravel. It’s not a bad tire, and it wears well, but the reviews I’ve seen still point to the Defenders in every way except looks.

The Michelin AT2 looks more aggressive, but everything I have read says it’s actually not as good as the Defenders, on road or off. The AT2 is much worse in snow from reviews I’ve seen, and it has a reputation for throwing rocks and gravel. It’s not a bad tire, and it wears well, but the reviews I’ve seen still point to the Defenders in every way except looks.
I had them long time ago. Noisier than I want. Not great in rain. Not that great off-road. Hard compound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom