Sealed “lifetime” tranny fluid didn’t past the taste test. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I bought the Toyota WS, the parts guy actually mentioned I could use aftermarket WS, for what that’s worth.

When I bought the Toyota WS, the parts guy actually mentioned I could use aftermarket WS, for what that’s worth.
I did a fluid change on my '06 A750F at 124k mi, using Idemitsu WF available in a 5L jug. I'm at 172k mi now, good results. The A750F with oil cooler runs cool. I've never seen temps above around 140ºF, even towing a small trailer (but not in hot weather).

AT fluid wears out eventually even if it does not get hot, and there is gradual fluid loss over time which reduces the volume of ATF in the transmission if it is not replenished. AT fluid change is the cheapest insurance you can buy.

This thread just made me realize that I’m not as familiar with the 100 series platform as I thought….

I have no idea what transmission fluid is supposed to taste like, good or bad.
I like to give it a visual compared to new. The one on the left appeared to be red on the stick.

1648387196132.png

Red Wine

1648387497672.png

But these a750s are just going out all the time on the factory fluid huh. I definitely think the lifetime thing is BS, but 200k ish miles is a probably realistic lifetime for the average vehicle.

and if you’re very proactive about extending that lifetime, is price really a concern even if you’re doing a fluid exchange once every 100k, if that?

Toyota doesn’t license Valvoline to make any fluids. Valvoline just made a synthetic atf and said hey, its synthetic so it must work on every single vehicle. No approval from anyone. toyota themselves say that you cannot mix and match dex III / T- Iv / WS fluids in transmissions. But valvoline probably knows better and has decided they’re all the same. Not to mention autozone sells it.

Last edited:
I've been using the Amsoil OE Transmission fluid in my Toyotas that call for WS (2013 LX, 2014 Tundra, 2015 RX350).

I think you would be good with that and many people are running the MaxLife with no reported problems.
Replaced four more quarts of Maxlife in each of my ‘04 and ‘06 Lexii.

But these a750s are just going out all the time on the factory fluid huh. I definitely think the lifetime thing is BS, but 200k ish miles is a probably realistic lifetime for the average vehicle.

and if you’re very proactive about extending that lifetime, is price really a concern even if you’re doing a fluid exchange once every 100k, if that?

Toyota doesn’t license Valvoline to make any fluids. Valvoline just made a synthetic atf and said hey, its synthetic so it must work on every single vehicle. No approval from anyone. toyota themselves say that you cannot mix and match dex III / T- Iv / WS fluids in transmissions. But valvoline probably knows better and has decided they’re all the same. Not to mention autozone sells it.
FYI…as I have mentioned the one and only reason I even thought about changing the ATF on my two sealed systems is because I noticed the fluid being pretty darn dark when replacing radiator, compared to my other Hundys that I regularly check. So I decided to put in new fluid. And after more knowledgeable mudder chimes in I used some Toyota WS and some Maxlife due to price and availability.

I certainly didn’t change ATF to extend the lifetime of the tranny. As far as I’m concerned, all my Hundys and 80 series has “lifetime” fluid until it looks, smells and tastes otherwise. And there are hundreds of thousands of miles under the belt of the years old clean ATF in six vehicles resulting in zero tranny issues. Wonder how many more problem free miles I could get if I changed ATF every 60k+ miles?

But does the taste get better with age, like a nice wine/bourbon/scotch? Is the clutch material, or the case, the equivalent to a charred oak barrel?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I remember when ATF contained whale oil. When the fluid was burned, it definitely had a unique smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom