CLOSED: Fabulous Fabrications Snorkel Group Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm also more of a wait for pitfalls & guides type of guy :geek:. Scoping out options for who I want carving into my mall cruiser when I'm confident, speaking to Desert Rats now. A place called LEKSFIXIT is my go-to for maintenance -- they want no part of cutting into a perfectly good body panel.

Yeah, I am also deciding if I want to take this on with help from some of my mechanically inclined 200 pals (looking at you @TLC2013 😉) or just take it somewhere and hope for the best. The problem we have here in the bay is that most anyplace you'd want working on a 200 is booked out for months.

Yeah, I am also deciding if I want to take this on with help from some of my mechanically inclined 200 pals (looking at you @TLC2013 😉) or just take it somewhere and hope for the best. The problem we have here in the bay is that most anyplace you'd want working on a 200 is booked out for months.
Haha I am up for another install, the safari airmax was surprisingly straightforward and a pretty easy process. How are the instructions for this one ? Looks a little more involved. Nice thing about the safari is that its bulky and covers your work and any oopsies made cutting into the fender. Youtube had some good vids for the safari install which helped calm my nerves.

20200731_125006.jpg

20200731_124851.jpg

20200731_132100.jpg

20200731_132108.jpg

31987F87-4BFB-4FFE-98F6-2ABEC2A68FFB.jpeg

64040FAF-B432-4479-AD68-D660758C9BBD.jpeg

Haha I am up for another install, the safari airmax was surprisingly straightforward and a pretty easy process. How are the instructions for this one ? Looks a little more involved. Nice thing about the safari is that its bulky and covers your work and any oopsies made cutting into the fender. Youtube had some good vids for the safari install which helped calm my nerves.

Good question. I haven't seen too many videos and not sure about instructions. I know that Eric Sarjeant has done a few installs, but on LCs. I am not sure if anybody has done an install on an LX yet, but presumably it should be mostly the same. I think the shape of the fender is a little different, but probably not enough to matter.

I am with you that unlike most snorkels, there isn't much room for error with this one. Not a lot of extra material around the fender seal. We will probably need some liquid courage.

@1world1love i agree, with its minimalist footprint I’d feel more comfortable leaving it to someone who has more experience with snorkel installs. There doesn't look like a lot of wiggle room to play with this, getting the cuts and install done correctly looks paramount.

Are there any fellow Bay Area members also installing theirs ? Could be a nice opportunity for a meet up / build party.

81ED4864-7CCC-43BD-8E3B-D94E6D06F742.jpeg

Good question. I haven't seen too many videos and not sure about instructions. I know that Eric Sarjeant has done a few installs, but on LCs. I am not sure if anybody has done an install on an LX yet, but presumably it should be mostly the same. I think the shape of the fender is a little different, but probably not enough to matter.

I am with you that unlike most snorkels, there isn't much room for error with this one. Not a lot of extra material around the fender seal. We will probably need some liquid courage.
I agree. I didn't buy one, but will be interested to see one go on a LX. Watching the install video on the LC, it looks like you cut away most of the fender that you think of as the landing place for a standard snorkel. So the shape probably doesn't matter since you are removing all that material almost up to the windshield frame anyways.

Good luck to whoever goes first.

@prharper and @BigJohnAZ, You guys mind posting up your templates? I believe there are 2 different versions (pre-2015), and I’m i retested to see the difference.
Mine should be here on Friday, and I plan on knocking it out

Whole roll of bubble wrap was used per snorkel it seems! Not complaining though it arrived looking pristine!

Also PSA so no one panics about missing hardware. They got me for a second, thought they hadn't supplied nutserts for the a pillar. They’re attached to the snorkel with the countersunk bolts. I’m sure you’re all more observant than myself so no one else will miss these.

Also is everyone planning to drill into their a pillar and install the nutserts? I know I’ve seen plenty of people use double sided tape on the plastic ones. Leaning towards drilling but was skeptical of airbags.

Last edited:
Whole roll of bubble wrap was used per snorkel it seems! Not complaining though it arrived looking pristine!

Also PSA so no one panics about missing hardware. They got me for a second, thought they hadn't supplied nutserts for the a pillar. They’re attached to the snorkel with the countersunk bolts. I’m sure you’re all more observant than myself so no one else will miss these.

Also is everyone planning to drill into their a pillar and install the nutserts? I know I’ve seen plenty of people use double sided tape on the plastic ones. Leaning towards drilling but was skeptical of airbags.
Take off the inside trim and you can see when you drill and avoid the airbag. Just take reasonable care.

These are pretty hefty so I don't think I would use anything but the included hardware. The only thing worse than going through a deep crossing with the OEM intake would be going through a deep crossing with your snorkel hanging down in the water 😂

But I'm with you on the airbags. I will do what grinchy suggests and just go ahead and remove the trim so I have a clear idea what I'm drilling into.

Does anyone know what changed with our fenders after October of 2015? Apparently there are slightly different measurements for the template.

Does anyone know what changed with our fenders after October of 2015? Apparently there are slightly different measurements for the template.
Not sure other than the facelift. Australia got it first then US got in 2016

can someone with a 08-14 LC take some measurements of the fender?
This pic is from the iPhone Pro measure feature, and they are within 1/4”

DF93B24C-7067-40F8-9583-2808BDE44E6C.jpeg

If it helps, I put my (completely different) snorkel template on the fender located by the seams, where the TLC template was supposed to fit. I wish it was 1/2" lower . . . meaning I should have positioned it vertically 1/2" lower to account for the different shape of the LX fender.

73553E47-A270-412A-9DC9-34B28C47A5B7.jpeg

If it helps, I put my (completely different) snorkel template on the fender located by the seams, where the TLC template was supposed to fit. I wish it was 1/2" lower . . .
The problem is that they changed their template for the TLC post the facelift. I think the size of the template grew, and I need to figure out which fender the LX resembles more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom