Which Cruiser should I buy? (2 Viewers)

Which Cruiser should I buy

• 2014 with 75k miles and little service history

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 2015 with 103k miles with decent service history

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Don't buy either of them. Keep looking for a unicorn.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian az

SILVER Star
Threads
They’re both at large franchise dealerships and have allegedly been reconditioned

1698414573216.png

Id probably go with the 2015

Odd they call it reconditioned with the timing cover and shock leaking! Will the warranty cover those repairs? I'm not a fan of dealer service and Valvoline can be hit or miss for service because there is a lot they can screw up. A conscientious owner can do much better than either for care. That said, if it were me, I'd skip the one with corporate ownership.

Odd they call it reconditioned with the timing cover and shock leaking! Will the warranty cover those repairs? I'm not a fan of dealer service and Valvoline can be hit or miss for service because there is a lot they can screw up. A conscientious owner can do much better than either for care. That said, if it were me, I'd skip the one with corporate ownership.

Yeah, and the best part is that it's at a Toyota dealership. They let me take it to an independent mechanic for an inspection; he's the one that noticed the leaks. I told the dealer to reseal the timing chain cover and then I'd buy it. They refused. They said it hasn't failed, it's just seeping a little, blah blah. They eventually just said it's too expensive of a repair and they don't want to do it. To be honest, I'm not really worried about it now. I'll keep an eye on it for sure if I end up buying that one.

And, yes, technically "timing chain cover" is on this list of items covered by their warranty. But, they claim it's not failed yet so it wouldn't be covered. (It's also a preexisting condition, which is also excluded.)

They’re both at large franchise dealerships and have allegedly been reconditioned
Odd they call it reconditioned with the timing cover and shock leaking!
Not "odd" at all, the worst mistake people make is assuming that "reconditioning" means no flaws it simply means cleaned and inspected. Even the inspection can be cursory, especially if the dealer isn't the same brand. Serious safety items like brakes, tires (not new but above the wear bars) no cracked glass are base line items but leaks, old belts, cracked cv boots are likely untouched unless it is a CPO. ALWAYS do a PPI regardless of what they say they did and negotiate based on that ... if they won't fix stuff walk away or know it is out of your pocket if the purchase price is good.

The higher mile truck looks like the better way to go based on the items you list, "corporate" vehicles can be well maintained or treated like a rental. In this case no records is telling but could mean maintenance was done somewhere that doesn't report to the various data vendors (I assume you are looking at a CarFax or equivalent)

Pick the one that you prefer, get an independent inspection and go from there.

EDIT I guess I missed your post while I was writing looks like you are doing all the right stuff ... if the 2015 is a "good deal" ( that means YOU are happy not what others say it is worth) buy it and do the fixes down the road.

Last edited:
I like the 2015 for the black interior (will age better) and service history is nice to have. Keeping those records (and your own going forward) will help with resale value. "Corporate" fleet vehicles can be quite hit or miss. Some are maintained exactly per schedule, some are completely abused and neglected. At that age, I doubt either one has had the starter done. I would just do it as PM at 150k.

If you take the time to catch up on maintenance and change all of the fluids, plugs, belts, etc, either could be a rock solid reliable rig. Owning an early 08 with high mileage (274k) and a spotty history (at least from a documentation side), I think it would take some serious neglect to really measurably hurt one of these in an irreparable fashion.

I'd make sure they're fairly rust free, look for signs of abuse and neglect (weird wear patters on the interior, unusual stains, anything that isn't working) and pick the one you like best.

That said, do your due diligence, and realize that not even the best vehicles are 100% trouble free over the long haul.

I think I would go for 2014 Bay Area one.

- less miles. almost 30k less for little more $ is what I would go for. There is a conception that miles don't do much affect values of LC, but it does! There are only so many 30k miles in a car, every 30k accumulated is less desirable and less value.
- LV and AZ is a harsher climate on the car and everything not metal, especially with black exterior.
- if it's just a corporate lease then it's probably no big deal (some VP or exec gets the lease paid for). In general I'm not too afraid of lease returns for this type of car.
It may even drive like new. If it was a car rental or loaner than I would reconsider.

Repairs unknown but I would assume you will have it checked and make there are no major repairs needed.

I think I would go for 2014 Bay Area one.

- less miles. almost 30k less for little more $ is what I would go for. There is a conception that miles don't do much affect values of LC, but it does! There are only so many 30k miles in a car, every 30k accumulated is less desirable and less value.
- LV and AZ is a harsher climate on the car and everything not metal, especially with black exterior.
- if it's just a corporate lease then it's probably no big deal (some VP or exec gets the lease paid for). In general I'm not too afraid of lease returns for this type of car.
It may even drive like new. If it was a car rental or loaner than I would reconsider.

Repairs unknown but I would assume you will have it checked and make there are no major repairs needed.

I really struggled with the mileage thing for the reasons you stated. For me, 30k miles is about 3 years of driving.

But, after I posted this morning, the 2015 dropped another $1400 and I really liked the black interior and the service history, so I pulled the trigger on it.

402BA506-5257-4014-A903-4858E163CF85.jpeg

I really struggled with the mileage thing for the reasons you stated. For me, 30k miles is about 3 years of driving.

But, after I posted this morning, the 2015 dropped another $1400 and I really liked the black interior and the service history, so I pulled the trigger on it.

View attachment 3466767
congrats

once you go Black interior - you never go back

Glad you made the right decision

And, yes, technically "timing chain cover" is on this list of items covered by their warranty. But, they claim it's not failed yet so it wouldn't be covered. (It's also a preexisting condition, which is also excluded.)
How can something be simultaneously not a condition and a preexisting condition?

Congrats on the purchase!

@brian az It looks better than I imagined. They did a good job detailing it. I hope the cover leak is just a little seepage not making it to the ground to need to repair it.

How can something be simultaneously not a condition and a preexisting condition?

Congrats on the purchase!

Good question. I think if I take it in now and demand a timing chain cover reseal, they'll say no for 2 reasons: First, it hasn't failed so it's not covered. But, even if it has failed, it's in the same condition it was in when I bought it, so it's not covered.

@brian az It looks better than I imagined. They did a good job detailing it. I hope the cover leak is just a little seepage not making it to the ground to need to repair it.

Thanks! I'm going to crawl under there soon and see how bad it is. The shop I took it too said they wouldn't be worried about it, so I assume it's just some seepage.

Check fuel pump replacement & passenger airbag recalls have been completed on 2015

Check fuel pump replacement & passenger airbag recalls have been completed on 2015

I see this on the service history:

20TA02 - REPLACED LOW-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP (LAND CRUISER), REPLACED THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT PER J05, CONFIRMED CALIBRATION ID AND RECALIBRATED DCM TYPE 12 PER K0P

Was it the passenger airbag or seatbelt that was recalled?

I see this on the service history:

20TA02 - REPLACED LOW-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP (LAND CRUISER), REPLACED THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT PER J05, CONFIRMED CALIBRATION ID AND RECALIBRATED DCM TYPE 12 PER K0P

Was it the passenger airbag or seatbelt that was recalled?
In my case when seatbelt was was fixed, passenger airbag worked too....I believe somehow related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom