Should i buy a non running LX570 Cheap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudmates,
I just found a 2012 LX570 w/248k in nice condition but just now wont start. $5500 Here is what the add says

The car doesn’t start i think it needs new cam shaft sensor or crank because when you start it its like it’s about to run but then it just shuts off have no clue how it happened i let my son drive it and then the next morning it wouldn’t start but the engine and transmission is perfect on it .

IT's just a few miles from me and should i put it in the garage and throw a few parts at it? If that fails, drop it at the Lexus dealer and have them fix it? I am going to see it in the morning and check if it cranks ok, coolant level/condition, oil level/condition etc. What else should i check? Thanks for your immediate help and guidance. My son is an ASE certified mechanic has done timing belts on my 470, GS400 and V8 four runner and has the day off tomorrow. Am i delirious or is this too good to pass up?

If it’s a sensor, you should be able to pull a code and confirm. Seems like the owner would have figured that one out. The phrase “my son drove it and now it doesn’t work” is also a red flag… May translate as “my son drove it through a river and now it doesn’t work.”

I’m guessing there is a stack of things wrong and the vehicle is priced to match.

Might be worth to pay a mechanic to inspect with you while you check it out - but have the mech play it as your buddy and keep his comments to himself until the ride home.

Hello Mudmates,
I just found a 2012 LX570 w/248k in nice condition but just now wont start. $5500 Here is what the add says

The car doesn’t start i think it needs new cam shaft sensor or crank because when you start it its like it’s about to run but then it just shuts off have no clue how it happened i let my son drive it and then the next morning it wouldn’t start but the engine and transmission is perfect on it .

IT's just a few miles from me and should i put it in the garage and throw a few parts at it? If that fails, drop it at the Lexus dealer and have them fix it? I am going to see it in the morning and check if it cranks ok, coolant level/condition, oil level/condition etc. What else should i check? Thanks for your immediate help and guidance. My son is an ASE certified mechanic has done timing belts on my 470, GS400 and V8 four runner and has the day off tomorrow. Am i delirious or is this too good to pass up?
Is it actually a 2011 or 2013?

I know there is no 2012 USDM LC, but I thought production was also stopped that year for the LX.

At $5500, short of the truck being flooded, I would personally buy it.

If you have room for it, and skills to do anything up to replacing the engine, that is likely a steal assuming the body, frame, and interior aren't trashed. I'd go look at it and if it isn't completely trashed I'd buy it.

If you’re ok with parting it out I might chance it. There’s $5500 in just the nav/audio/rear entertainment system… actually more

The explanation for this seems questionable though and I’d be shocked if it’s just a sensor that’s bad. I smell $10-20k in hidden repairs

The explanation for this seems questionable though and I’d be shocked if it’s just a sensor that’s bad. I smell $10-20k in hidden repairs

This.

People these days know exactly what they have. A $5500 lx570 will need $20k in work. Or it was flooded. Or it has terminal rust. Or a combo of all 3.

When something is out of the ordinary you either dig deeper or walk away.
If you can make it drivable to the dealer to get an inspection do that. Otherwise, you'll need someone knowledgeable to look at it at the owner's garage.

"What else should i check?" read the codes. A Toyota/Lexus capable reader should be used. You likely find a lot of them. If you are not versed on reading codes ask your son to do it. Some are harmless but some are important.
There is a lot of stuff you can check like coolant leaks (search and you'll find what I mean), oil leaks (search again), AHC, rust, damaged suspension, water intrusion, etc.
There must be a reason it is so cheap. Just because it doesn't start is not a good reason for a $5k price even if it has 250k miles. A good reason might be that it needs 10k in repairs just to make it road going again. If for baseline it you need another 5k you are not far from buying one that does not need all that work and it has lower miles.

I looked at this vehicle. There is no 2012 LX570 Limited. He has sold quite a few very high mileage cars at probably average prices. This price is way too low. I did a hard pass just on those reasons.

If it needs serious engine work, you're out of the money immediately. Sometimes you can find a deal from someone who truly doesn't have the time for a simple fix as they claim, but given @Ratchey 's point that it's a repeat seller of high mileage stuff, that makes it a definite pass.

For the price, if you are willing and able to put a ton of sweat equity into it, you'll probably have a great ride.
If you have room for it, and skills to do anything up to replacing the engine, that is likely a steal assuming the body, frame, and interior aren't trashed. I'd go look at it and if it isn't completely trashed I'd buy it.
Yep.

FWIW….
About 6months ago I bought a non-running discovery 1 (1999), that the owner said just stopped running right… no other info..
It was clean and cheap… took me 2 weeks to diagnose frayed wires from the heat of the cat on the crankshaft position sensor (sensor good wires no sheathing)..
De-pinned the plug and heat shrunk the wires and reassembled with some nomex wrap…
Runs great now.. no issues.. total cost $12 for the nomex wrap from autozone.

I guess the moral is, sometimes you get lucky…
Others not so much.. and it’s been abused.
If cheap enough I’d roll the dice… but that’s me … (and I think about worst case part out situations too if it’s that bad)

Sellers like this make me LOL. Of course it was "my son" and of course "I have no clue how it happened" and of course the "engine and transmission are perfect" and of course "I think it needs (insert anything simple)".

I would only consider it if you are looking for hobby truck to mess around with.

And look carefully for water intrusion. That would be a complete deal-breaker for me, hobby truck or not.

This guy ended up being a flake. As soon as i started asking the tough questions he vaporized. Thanks for all the responses. The great news is that i am making a 9 hour round trip in the morning on a 2011 with 106k miles. Its cherry and i will post up the pics when i get back.....

This guy ended up being a flake. As soon as i started asking the tough questions he vaporized. Thanks for all the responses. The great news is that i am making a 9 hour round trip in the morning on a 2011 with 106k miles. Its cherry and i will post up the pics when i get back.....
bullet dodged! Nice pull on the new truck!

Found a gem in Seattle. 2011 105k miles good service records for 25K. Nice private seller couple. Found a set of Rock warriors only 75 miles from me. Awaiting 1 inch Bora spacers. Agonizing decision between KO3's and Defenders ATX MS2's. Pro's and cons for both. It was in kneeling mode when i bought it and in the picture.

LX570 1.jpg

LX570 2.jpg

LX570-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom