Crank no start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a 2004 LX470 with 160k miles I bought used almost 2 years ago. The PO had a crank no start issues twice from what I can see in the Lexus report on this VIN. By the time techs looked at it no issues could be found both times. These were 5 years ago. I had this issue once the month after I bought it but an hour later when I went to try again and diagnose it was fine. It happened again today, 9/3/21. No codes thrown. I don't think it's the standard EFI issue for a few reasons. It's the newer model fuse box which I understand doesn't really have this issue as much, the security light doesn't blink, and the check engine light stays on after 3sec in the "ON" position (I've read different reports on the check engine light with the EFI relay issue). EFI relay checks out according to the FSM. 0.01 volt drop to the hot side of the EFI relay. Fuel is getting to the engine (from the distal side of the fuel filter anyway). All other electrical systems seem fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Don't have a fuel pressure sensor but flow from the distal side of the fuel filter was good when I took the hose off! I went to cook dinner and when I got back to check spark the engine turned over on first crank This is the second time it's been an intermittent crank / no start and resolved without a therapeutic intervention. Any ideas for diagnostics so this doesn't happen to me in the middle of no where?

I have the same issue which started yesterday. No solution yet so can't help yet.

I spoke with a mechanic friend of mine. He says that the Toyota main fuse boxes in the engine bay of this era have intermittent no start issues and it's just impossible to track down. He does think that the dealership can do a diagnostic on it with their fancy computers but there is no way to track it down otherwise. He seems pretty convinced based on the duration and randomness of symptoms. He said it's temperature sensitive and it is cooling off a little here. Does anyone have experience that this is the case?

I have an intermittent crank/no start condition on my 98. It is accompanied by no ECL at the same time.
I suspect the fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel is bad because I can run my finger over the fuses and the ECL illuminates and the truck starts on the next crank.

Have you tried tapping on the fuse box while cranking ?
I was taking out fuses and relays while testing connections. It was pretty aggressive at times with difficult relays... Like tapping. Maybe that's what worked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom