Um, Should I have some sort of shifter here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning gentlemen, hope everybody had a good Labor Day ( or a good first work day for our colleagues in Canada )

This may be the dumbest new guy transmission question ever, but should I have some sort of shifter here on this part of my drive train? I believe this is the NP203 which would give me I forward neutral forward low?

79F1A66C-30BF-4687-9D14-E3B31E28B02E.jpeg

4110B2BA-FE65-4E13-B28C-3CAC3304504B.jpeg

(Taken before I installed the TH350 shifter which I still need to tidy up)

Last edited:
That was about the most effective response you could’ve possibly offered.

Have a great day!

Thanks John.

So is there a neutral setting or is it always high or low?

Ah, OK.

What is the pattern - I am assuming it has tree positions?

Front of rig. | Low/neutral/high.

(Lever moved to further at forward position toward front of rig for low?)

Good morning and happy Friday, I hope that any of our members here in the path of the hurricane are doing their very best to stay safe.

It seems unlikely that given the mostly fire Road use that this rig will see that I will need to engage the crawl box, just to simplify things for now is there any harm in just leaving it in neutral and forgetting about having a shifter control for it for now?

Have I mentioned recently that I’m still a newbie?

Evidence above!

Sounds like I need a way of making sure it stays in high.

I will assume that mine will do the same unless secured. Excellent heads up John, thank you.

Is the NP203 a shift on the fly set up, meaning can you go from low to neutral to high while moving or do you need to be stopped?

My next question – is water wet

Got it. Here’s the pattern that I found via searching

(front)
Low Loc
Low
N
HI
Hi Loc
In my set up the NP203 Is in between my transmission and the stock Toyota transfer case, so it appears that I could actually at the selector all the way back towards the rear of the rig and then move it one notch forward and then try “lock” it in place there.

I know this is a total newbie question but I’m assuming I can shift between those ranges with the rig parked and not running?

Thanks!

OK - time for an update.

I got her running and carefully (really carefully) got her on rear jack stands and was able to confirm that I have working high/low on both the NP203 and transfer case. Whoo hoo!

Off to the driveline shop to put in the OEM open differential.

Thank you for all of the help!

769BE5CB-BE66-4EA0-B0C7-9416FF9D32F3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom