Hammock vs ground tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, hoping for a little insight. I would love a rtt but they are very expensive and not really in the budget for now. Here’s the issue, camping in the 80, hammock or ground tent?
What do you prefer and why, anyone have some photos of setups with an 80 series or likewise?

A quick pic of my beloved lx450

Hammocks suck in cold weather because all the cold air continuously circulates underneath you. Hammocks are great in warm or hot weather for the same reason. Personally I think a ground tent with a nice memory foam mattress or other plush sleeping pad is more comfortable than the awkward bent shape of a hammock but that is just personal. Another advantage to a ground tent ( not all of them ) is they allow you to stand up and walk around without being hunched over and keep you out of the wind and moisture

Hammocks suck in cold weather because all the cold air continuously circulates underneath you. Hammocks are great in warm or hot weather for the same reason. Personally I think a ground tent with a nice memory foam mattress or other plush sleeping pad is more comfortable than the awkward bent shape of a hammock but that is just personal. Another advantage to a ground tent ( not all of them ) is they allow you to stand up and walk around without being hunched over and keep you out of the wind and moisture

I’ve had some great naps in hammocks, but always slept in a ground tent at night. I will have to give it a try this summer

in defense of hammocks, my impression is that many people don't know how to use them properly and/or don't have good ones. (Short story: best to lay at an angle in a proper hammock.) Having said that, if weight and storage space and set up time are not an issue, it seems to me that a tent is much more versatile way to spend the night and day.

The most comfortable sleep I have is in a hammock. I sleep better in a hammock while camping than I do at home! My personal setup is a Dream Hammock Dangerbird, Hammock Gear under/top quilts, Dream Hammock under quilt protector, various tarps and Dutchware gear suspension. I am perfectly comfortable down to 35° and could go colder with new quilts. I used to sleep on the ground like an animal, but those days are long gone. Though with a growing family, I did recently grab a used RTT to try out.

Last edited:
About two years ago I began using a hammock and that is now my preference over a tent or simply on the ground. It took me 2 -3 nights to get it dialed in. I sleep great in a hammock and even at home will go out for one or two nights a week.

I've used it down to the upper 20s. In the cold I'll lay an uninflated Thermarest type mattress in the bottom of the hammock and that gives good insulation underneath, also helps in laying out a sleeping bag in the hammock.

Hammocks work great in cold weather. You just need a pad underneath. Personally i like a pad almost always. Haven't tried the under hammock quilts or bags but they look like they would work.

I'm a born again hammock camper since I found the blue ridge camping hammock. I've slept in 20 degree, windy weather and if you're prepared you'll be fine. I typically have a thermarest pad, 20 degree bag under me, and my 40 degree bag over me on those really cold nights.
As someone else mentioned, not all hammocks are created equal for camping/sleeping. You'll want to be able to sleep more flat at a diagonal across the hammock as opposed to sleeping like a banana with your knees hyper extended - which is what you get with a regular hammock.
I wake up with so much less pain with my hammock than I ever did with a ground tent. I'm a fan but do some research and see what you like.

I have used, and still use, all three. I sleep in my hammock most of the time though.

Hammock camping is not for everyone, and its not for everywhere. Its best for warm and dry places. Rain or cold will make it worse, shelters are never good enough to stay completely dry and you'll always be colder than in a tent. I agree with everyone who says that most people don't know how to use them. You sleep flat on a hammock, not curved.

Ground tents are good, but they're almost always a pain in the ass to set up. They'll be the longest setup time and probably will take more space than a hammock. You have to have a good inflatable mattress to be fair.

Roof top tents are the easiest to set up, and they're also good for leaving blankets, pillows in there so you free up storage space, no need for an additional mattress either. They also are the heaviest and all that weight is on the roof. Not really good for gas mileage or handling.

To each their own. I'll always prefer hammocks, and will always bring one to a trip as long as its not cold!

I have posted this picture a few times and it is definitely the extreme end of my camping escapades, but could you imagine camping in a hammock or rooftop tent in these conditions (-25 at night)
20181202_070025.jpg
lol.

I have posted this picture a few times and it is definitely the extreme end of my camping escapades, but could you imagine camping in a hammock or rooftop tent in these conditions (-25 at night)View attachment 1991411 lol.
I’ve actually been in a tent at -35 Celsius. It was not a cool experience. Learned a lot

Are any of you hammock guys side sleepers?

I move around and yes I can side sleep in mine but you definitely have to play with it to find the right position.

Are any of you hammock guys side sleepers?

Yes. I have a Kammock Roo Double Roo Double and it's large enough that you can roll over on you side without being cramped.

I also have an Eno Single Nest SingleNest® Hammock and it's more confining but you can roll over.

The Kammock is deeper and the sleeping bag stays in it without falling out. The Eno has lower sides and you have to be more careful exiting the hammock to keep the bag in.

When I bought these I looked for hammocks on sale, REI, Sierra Trading Post.

Yes. I have a Kammock Roo Double Roo Double and it's large enough that you can roll over on you side without being cramped.

I also have an Eno Single Nest SingleNest® Hammock and it's more confining but you can roll over.

The Kammock is deeper and the sleeping bag stays in it without falling out. The Eno has lower sides and you have to be more careful exiting the hammock to keep the bag in.

When I bought these I looked for hammocks on sale, REI, Sierra Trading Post.
Thanks for the details. I’ve had a decent (I think) hammock for a few years, but never attempt to spend a night in it. I guess I’ll just have to give it a shot. Here’s the one I have:

8A7E5D54-CBB9-4336-96C9-E7841907A165.png

In my experience:

Hammocks: incredibly comfortable once you figure out the diagonal position, and get good at setting the tension so it's not too droopy or too tight, but it's not going to be nearly as warm, all else being equal. I tried a warmer-than-I-could-ever-need sleeping bag, putting a pad in the hammock, and a (not very good) $60 underquilt. The super warm bag still leaves your underside uncomfortably cold while the rest of you is sweaty hot, if it's <50 outside the hammock, the pad makes it way harder to roll over/change position (dealbreaker for me, but I'm a side-sleeper who alternates sides a lot), and the underquilt didn't do nearly enough insulating (but I also got the cheapest one that would fit my hammock and had good reviews.) I think I'm just going to save the hammock for trips with both warmer nights and trees.

Ground tents: best option for high winds (if it's a good, solid, dome-style tent), most privacy if you're somewhere you don't want to just, y'know, get naked out in the open to change your clothes, and easily only 1/10 the cost of an RTT. I like my old REI Half Dome 2+ a lot, but I just switched to a tarp and tent-shaped bug net that hang on my trek poles for backpacking (which cut down a ton of bulk and a couple of pounds versus the regular tent). Obviously, tents are also a hell of a lot more convenient than the hammock if you're somewhere without anywhere good to hang a hammock. You'll want to get good at finding rocks and/or filling shopping bags with sand if you like to camp places with rocky or sandy ground, though. A lot easier than trying to pound a stake into granite, or get one to hold onto sand in the windy part of the Mojave.

I definitely want an RTT when it's in the budget, but I'm pretty happy with the <$300 I have into my tents, hammock, and all the bits and pieces that make them work in different terrains. Honestly, though, I'll probably get a better top/bottom quilt setup for my hammock before I seriously think about throwing around RTT money.

My set up all last week in the Black hills.
We had a lot of rain and I think all my tent using mates had wetness in their tents at some point. High and dry for me.
20190610_182616.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom