GX460 vs LX570 - questions for owners! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get a SUV replacement for my Tacoma and I keep going back & fourth between the GX460 and LX570 (both would be used, probably in the 2012-2015 years).

I did drive both back to back a few months ago, and remember coming away feeling that the LX had more power, more comfort, and more room. Now I'm finding myself questioning how much of that is really the case, and how much was pre-conceived notions on my part. I've since moved to a smaller city and don't have the opportunity to test drive either model again (without driving 4 hours back to Vancouver).

It's no question that the LX does have more power and is faster. With that said, do you ever find the GX actually lacking in power? I live in an area with a lot of mountains and big hills and one of the things I dislike with my current '16 Tacoma is how much it has to struggle to maintain highway speeds going up steep inclines.

How about cargo volume? Do you find yourself longing for more? In either case, I would immediately remove the third row seats (with the GX I'd remove the trim behind the third-row, too) and build some simple storage/drawer system overtop.

How's the day to day comfort of the GX? I'd consider putting on smaller wheels with meatier tires for a softer ride. Any other quick wins available?

If you considered both a GX and an LX, what made you go with one over the other?

The biggest (only, really) factor I can find against the LX is the price. It runs about $12-14k higher for similar year/mileage models and that's obviously a significant chunk of change. That said, I don't want to buy a GX, find that it's not what I want, and then sink the same $12-14k into modifications in an attempt to make it something it's not. But if the GX will do the trick "out of the box," then it's an option worth thinking about...

Another question for the GX owners: can someone measure the entire vehicle length with the rear cargo door fully open? I have normal vehicle measurements, but want to know how well it'll fit in my garage with the door open.

Appreciate all feedback!

For what it's worth, my usage will be 95% city/highway (lots of snow driving in the winter months), and 5% light to moderate trails. Nothing more difficult than Top of the World in Moab. I need to be able to get well off the beaten path to go camping, hiking, fishing, and eventually hunting, but I have no interest in rock crawling.

Interior room is important to me as I have a large dog (GSD) that takes up a lot of space. I will eventually want to be towing a small, off-road capable trailer with all my camping gear, so this will be less of an issue down the line.

Day to day ride comfort and niceties (auto folding mirrors, rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel & seats, etc.) are also very important.

I intend to keep the modifications minimal whenever possible.

We have a '15 GX 460 (mine) and a '15 Land Cruiser (wife's). My wife originally purchased a '17 GX 460, but we later traded it in for the LC. The primary reason was space. My wife drives around our two kids daily and even with just the two kids the GX was feeling a little tight for space. We took out the rear seats in both GXs, and are planning to do so in her Land Cruiser once I get some drawers ordered or made for her. The interior has about 3 inches extra horizontal room in it, which is pretty significant, especially if you are sitting three across in the second row. The biggest difference though is in the rear cargo area, especially once the seats are removed. The amount of space in the LC is much greater than can be found in the GX, although we fit two 50-75 lb dogs in the rear of my GX with ease on trips. We also really enjoy the fold-down tailgate of the LC over the barn door of the GX for ease of access and functionality. I don't know what that requested measurement will be with the GX barn door fully open, but it will be a pretty big number, and probably a foot or two longer than the LX with its tailgate open.

Bone stock, the GX and LC have similar power/speed feel. But once you start to modify them, the LC maintains those qualities better. I have 33" tires on my '15 GX now with about a 2.5" lift, but even with just that the truck can feel sluggish compared to when it was stock (or compared to the LC). I will likely change the gearing to 4.10 to improve the feel and acceleration at some point. But if you switch the GX to sport mode and switch to a lower gear manually there is more than enough power to do what you need.

I drive the GX about 60 miles each day, and it is very comfortable for me. The LC comfort is very similar, although it does have slightly wider seats. Regardless, I have no complaints about the GX seats from a comfort perspective. Both vehicles have the same general features (although if you want heated steering wheel you will either need to get a Premium (2010-2013)/Luxury (2014+) GX or find a Premium (2014+) with the option, because it is not standard like in the LX/LC). The other comfort options you are asking for come with the Premium/Luxury models of the GX and all LX/LC models.

You will be fine towing a small offroad trailer with either of them, although of course the LX will have an edge here with its greater torque and power.

Overall, you can't lose with either, but figure out your priorities (especially as a trade-off for price) and make your decision about what is best for your needs.

Thanks, @TX GX460 ! Great to get feedback from someone with both.

Interior space is definitely a big factor and may be the deal maker/breaker. The opening of the barn door also has be concerned a bit. Where I'd be parking the vehicle and what I have (and intend to have) around it might not work with the big swing of the barn door...

The barn door definitely has its benefits and drawbacks. On the positive side, the window opens independently of the door and swings up for easy cargo access, so much of the time you don't even need to open the door. Plus, you can get closer to the interior with nothing in the way with the door open (my only *minor* complaint about the LC tailgate). It is also much less likely to fail than those power liftgates that so many SUVs have these days, and on the 460 the gas strut has a locking mechanism on it to keep it open in the wind or on hills. On the minus side, the door has to be open a ways before I can reach into it very deeply, and my garage is not deep enough (especially with front and rear bumpers) to open it with my garage door closed. The LC door opens in a pretty tight space comparatively, and I can access the LC cargo area without having to open the garage door.

Right. Reaching in through the open window is definitely a plus I've kept in mind, but one large use case I'd have would be to let the dog in/out of the cargo area, which means fully opening the barn door rather frequently. I've got a fairly deep garage (if I park the 225"-long Tacoma right against the garage door, I've got some 3-4' behind it), but one of my "wants" in the vehicle change is to have more room around the new vehicle (front/back).

Last edited:
I don't have an LX to compare to, but I can comment on the GX. I have removed the rear seats, and for the size of the vehicle, the cargo capacity feels small. For one or two people it's more than enough room, but for a family of 4 things get cramped. Part of it is because the "walls" are pretty thick, meaning there's a huge gap between the exterior shell and interior.

I have removed the rear seat and put in a platform and drawer, and after removal the actual flat cargo area behind the second row is around 43" square. The exterior width is 74", so you can see how much is lost due to the wheel wells and interior molding. Part of that is because of the rear air conditioner unit on the passenger side, but the other side is mostly dead space. Some people have mentioned that the rear air conditioner is great if you have dogs in the back, but I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.

I've never needed more power, the GX has plenty for me, but I don't tow anything. I do wish the GX got better mileage and range though. I don't know how the LX compares, but I'm assuming the mileage is even worse than the 13-17 I get on the GX.

Rear barn door is good an bad depending on your use. It's funny because all the Jeep guys want to convert their hardtop jeeps into barn doors, and all the GX guys wished they had hatches and tailgates. In crowded areas you need a lot of space behind you to open it, I would say at least 4 feet, and even more if you need to walk around it. I can measure total length tonight when I get home. One of the problems is the barn door opens on the "wrong" side for US drivers. If it was reversed I think there would be a lot less complaints. For me it's just something I got used to, at times I kinda wish it was a more traditional tailgate or hatch, but it doesn't really bother me that much. Also there is probably at least a foot or more of rear bumper before the cargo area starts, that almost can act as a mini tailgate when camping.

I've had two 100 series LC's, both 1998's. One my wife's, the other mine. My wife now has an '07 Taco 4x4 and I currently have a 2013 GX 460 Premium. I love the GX over the LC's as does my wife. Yes I know you're talking about the 200 series, but I can only speak on what I know. If you want some ideas on what you can do with a GX, you can look at my build here: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

I do like all the creature comforts of heated this and that, fold-in for parking and fold-down for reverse mirrors, three climate zones, parking assist (kept the parking assist on my Metal Tech bumpers), etc. Since I live in So. Cal. most all the trails around here are for Tacoma and Jeep width vehicles. My LC's were pushing the limits a little, so I like the idea the GX is the same size as the 5th Gen 4R's and thus easier on the trail. I don't mind the trail pin-striping, but I don't like buckled body panels. So for me the smaller exterior foot print is a plus.

The interior can feel smaller when I get my daughter and granddaughter all buckled in and go Costco shopping or as of lately Christmas shopping. It also is starting to get tight with the fridge and other camping gear. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to configure my drawer system and tray for my fridge along with space for lashing down a couple of totes that have our other camping gear in.

But at 6'-0" and 220 lbs, I don't need the drivers seat all the way back and the seats feel more comfortable than my LC's. Albeit, the leather in the LC's was getting a little cracked and hard after 20 years.

Regarding the barn door, yes it's a big swing especially when one must also swing out the Jerry can/tire carrier first! But the Metal Tech rear bumper I have is quite deep (6" or more maybe??) and makes for a nice type of tailgate for sitting on, prepping, resting a load before pushing into the back, huge step for the roof rack, etc. I really like that feature. And it doesn't stick out past the spare tire or Jerry cans.

As far as power, I re-geared my GX when I added the air lockers and it feels far more powerful than my LC's. But we don't tow anything either, just a roof top tent. But yes, on paper the LC does have considerably more power than the GX but also weighs a lot more.

In short, I too was first looking at a 200 series, but the price and the size was a little over whelming especially since I put another $20k+ to make my GX (or 200, if I went in that direction) into an overland.

Just my 2 cent's. Good luck on your decision. I truly think you'll like whatever you get!:clap:

Last edited:
Just measured the rear door. When open it Sticks out almost exactly 4 ft from the edge of the bumper. So figure you need at least 5-6 feet clearance if you need to get around it when it’s open

I don't even want to think about how long mine is adding in the extra length of the swing-out spare with the De-Staco clamp.

I own both of these models. If power and space are priorities I would buy the LX570. I love my GX but part of the appeal is the low-key looks and the smaller size for driving and parking in dense urban areas. The LX is faster, has higher quality interior surfaces, more interior space and more features. The GX is a superb vehicles but on most levels the LX is one notch up the ladder, including price ;)

Just measured the rear door. When open it Sticks out almost exactly 4 ft from the edge of the bumper. So figure you need at least 5-6 feet clearance if you need to get around it when it’s open

Thank you!

As far as power, I re-geared my GX when I added the air lockers and it feels far more powerful than my LC's. But we don't tow anything either, just a roof top tent. But yes, on paper the LC does have considerably more power than the GX but also weighs a lot more.

!

what ratio and how did that affect economy, if at all?

what ratio and how did that affect economy, if at all?
This is what I have:
T8.2-456-NG
T8S-456RT-NG
And purchased from them also. This has been my second overlander I've built using these guys for gears and lockers.
They're good! ***** (five star)
And no I don't work for them nor do I receive any swag for giving them a thumbs-up positive review...

It's hard to tell what I'm getting for mpg. I've been racking my brains out and wearing out Google trying to find anything at all that will re-calibrate my speedometer and odometer. Nothing... My on board display (between the tach and speedo on the dash) says I can get as good as 13 mph.
And that's with a big 'ol roof top tent on my rack!
I have not had the time to actually load some kind of GPS app on my phone that will log miles so I can do the old school method of filling a tank of gas, run it down, fill it up again and see how many miles I went from the last top-off.

When I do that I'll post. I have a road trip to Lake Tahoe in about two weeks, I may do it then and get a good reading on highway mileage!

Last edited:
When the FJ100 was written off 6 months ago, we looked at the GX460 and the LX570. The 570 was really nice but what sold us on the GX was the better mpg's and all of the LX's available were more $$$ with higher mileage.
Really happy with the GX.

When the FJ100 was written off 6 months ago, we looked at the GX460 and the LX570. The 570 was really nice but what sold us on the GX was the better mpg's and all of the LX's available were more $$$ with higher mileage.
Really happy with the GX.

Similar thought process for me too when I was considering both. We went with the GX because it’s much less money but you still get a high percentage of what the LX offers. Lower operating costs including fuel mileage and insurance. Easier to drive and park. I too prefer the smaller profile of the vehicle for off-road driving as was already mentioned above.

Personally - I didn't buy a GX because it didn't have enough power over a 4Runner. It's a little more. But with the extra ~1,000lb weight, it's not going to feel particularly powerful. Especially at elevation. The LX will feel like almost endless power on tap if it's in stock form. Oddly our RX350 also feels like it has tons of power even though it's the same engine as the new Tacoma and weighs the same, the gearing is 4.40 instead of 3.73 so that probably makes all the difference. I don't know why Toyota puts great gearing in the crossovers and the Tundra, but then way too high gearing in the Tacoma/4r/GX.

Just something to consider- have you thought about a supercharger for your Tacoma? It's about $6k, but it'll give you all the power you could ever want. If you like everything else about it and need the bed space, it might be your best bet. It should pretty easily get better MPG than either the GX or LX and have a good bit more power in the mountains. Turbo would be best for high elevation, but not an option on any of them yet.

However... all reports I've seen recently are twin turbo v6 tundra coming 2020 (MY 2021) along with a new LC300 twin turbo on the TNGA-F platform. The LC300 could be $$, but I'd guess the Tundra will be similar to current pricing if you can wait for a year or 18 months and want better mountain performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom