Computer code readers, how do I chose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely get a scanner, not just a code reader. It can really help to get real time readings when diagnosing problems. With a code reader you can end up replacing a sensor just to find out another issue is causing a code for a particular sensor. I've got the Autel AL439 and happy with it. I think it was $100 at P.A. It won't do a forced burn for a DPF but I think you have to get into pretty pricey units to do that.

We had the modus at radd and when we had a red seal mechanic with us he showed me how certain codes or scan not always lead you to the problem, his experience made for less throwing parts at a vehicle. Plus the michaels on demand was a very helpfull resource to make diagnostics much quicker.

We had the modus at radd and when we had a red seal mechanic with us he showed me how certain codes or scan not always lead you to the problem, his experience made for less throwing parts at a vehicle. Plus the michaels on demand was a very helpfull resource to make diagnostics much quicker.

My friend told me that no matter the codes, make sure to look them up and see where they take you. Definitely don't
want to be throwing parts at it. Need to dig into the troubleshooting. The website AUTEL has actually has online learning right on the website to teach how each unit works.

Does it handle all modules, or just the basic modules? I know that my uncles fairly expensive but not top of the line system couldn't read all modules unless they bought for certain cars (mostly european ones)

Good question.

Does it handle all modules, or just the basic modules? I know that my uncles fairly expensive but not top of the line system couldn't read all modules unless they bought for certain cars (mostly european ones)
I can't say I've used mine for everything it's capable of. Just ECM stuff in GM and Toyota. Haven't had to use it for any BCM,PCM or ABS issues so can't really comment on that and not sure if it does EOBD. It paid for itself the first time I used it though. Had a PO420 code in the Toyota (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1). Thought I was looking at a new CAT for $1800 from Toyota. With a little research and a $10 tube of Ultracopper Silicone I fixed a exhaust leak on the pre cat O2 sensor flange a couple years ago, been good ever since.

Here is interesting news. I put the one Autel Darren recommended in my cart on amazon. After letting it sit for 2 days, the
price has gone down $10. :)

Here is interesting news. I put the one Autel Darren recommended in my cart on amazon. After letting it sit for 2 days, the
price has gone down $10. :)
Can't beat that! I 'd have to get it just to see if I got that price. Let us know what happens.

This was posted in the 80 forum. Anyone heard of this?
Since it's just a pic, don't know where it was for sale either
Fixd app.jpg

I recently had an ABS issue and discovered the AL439 does not read ABS codes. There are other models that do. I just used the jumper method to get the codes and resolve the issue so not big deal. I haven't used it for PCM issues but according to Autel's web site the al439 is capable of reading PCM codes though.
Jonathan did you end up getting one for 10 bucks? For that price I would carry one in every vehicle that's OBD2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom