ISO decent 3b (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, sad weekend for the 85, seem to have thrown a rod or something big inside the engine, have yet to open it up but I know it won’t be good. Looking for a good running 3b to swap in. Had been diagnosing a noise for a little while, sounded like an exhaust leak or something but must have been a con rod bearing wearing out or bolt failure.
Let me know what you have !
E5DA87FC-C943-48E4-B8B5-6AAB9B17DD9D.jpeg
98E14FD0-585D-464C-857C-231C127D6DB1.jpeg

Pre cup piece dropped in.

Sounds just like an exhaust tick.

Keeps me up at night especially on my 3000k drives
IMG_0167.jpeg

Sorry to hear. I might have a 3B for you.

Last edited:
Pre cup piece dropped in.

Sounds just like an exhaust tick.

Keeps me up at night especially on my 3000k drives
Did that ticking for a few weeks of minimal driving, took it on a camping trip and just as we were rolling up to the site she got really loud and lots of clacking, no power and insane engine shakes. Little cough of oil out the crank case breather and then stopped dead. Had lots of oil and good oil pressure the whole time

Yeah after 400,000k the pre cups start to crack and eventually when one of those cracks becomes structural the pre cup will lose a chunk into the cylinder.

That chunk will rattle around making loud ticks slowly scoring up the cylinder walls, then when you least expect it the rest of the pre cup might fall into the cylinder locking the 3B up into a tire screeching halt.

This is a fresh 3b pre cup loose in the head causing cylinder damage. Imagine a little nasty hardened chunk of steel in there.

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_20180425_151949338_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20180425_152016175_HDR.jpeg

Anyway I might have an untested rat pissed in 3b I think will get you running for 500$ or under.

Last edited:
Sucks to hear, I have a spare 3b but I don't want to sell it for just this reason.

There is that brown bj60 on Facebook for 3500. I wouldn't mind having the h55 from it for a spare, but...money money.

We need to find a "life after 3bs" solution pretty soon for all us BJ drivers.

I have a low milage 3b and 13bt, but sadly I have become a hoarder...good luck.

Last edited:
I have a mostly complete 3B sitting in a stand available for pickup + $

Unknown mileage, not running - it is a frankenmotor built of leftover 3B stuff from my rebuild ....

Original Post was 6 months ago. I imagine @masters found something by now?

I haven’t really !! I found a half motor and one that’s seized up, had hoped for something running to get her back on the road for the summer season but we’ll see. Still would be stoked for a running one (hint hint Rob !) haha

I might just, there is a third engine on a stand ready for assembly. Head rebuilt with the last OEM valve springs I found years ago, head machine and checked for cracks, new pre cups. Complete engines Australia rebuild kit, liners pistons etc. Crank checked also magnafluxed and polished. I am looking for what I have into it. PM me and I will go through my receipts. I think the 13bt would be a nice upgrade in the bj42. New oil pump, pump gear that needs to be pressed onto the crank shaft and a few more parts.

I had all the work done pre covid so the prices were reasonable, only thing I would buy is a OEM head gasket maybe two of the rocker arms need to be ground smooth or find a replacement. I have not looked for the frost plugs after hot tanking and cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom