Need some recommendations on this deal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
local trade in 16 Lx570, 48K miles for 65K. Personal used vehicle, no accident, oil change regularly. Looks pretty good to me. Never had a LX before. Should I buy this??? I’m in the market for a LC or LX. TIA

Seems High unless you particularly want a LX over a LC. It seems the common deal is ~$74-76k new for a Cruiser, so no way I'd pay $10k less for one with 50k miles on it.

Also if you plan to off-road it much those 16+ bumpers on the LX are really bad for clearance.

I have a '16 LC I bought in May with 17k on it...paid $64K for it...that price seems high to me. Shoot, I might be willing to sell mine to you for the same asking price and I have 27K miles on it.

Obviously a lot difference between a 15 and a 16, but I got a 15 LX with 21k miles for <$50k. I certainly wouldn't pay above 60 for a '16 with 50k miles - LX or LC.

At first glance, it seemed high, but I wandered over to Cargurus and did a national search for 2016 LX570s and it's not terribly far off. Maybe $1k high?

That’s at least $6k more than I’d pay. My 16’ LC had 19k and I paid $61k with it being CPO’d. My wife’s 17’ LX new was $80k.

Folks comparing to LCs need to realize in the most recent years LX prices increased and he could be referencing a vehicle that tagged $97k MSRP when new. I'm seeing NADA retail at $66,7k. How that relates to what the market is, I'm not sure, but above comment seems to think it is not out of line.

local trade in 16 Lx570, 48K miles for 65K. Personal used vehicle, no accident, oil change regularly. Looks pretty good to me. Never had a LX before. Should I buy this??? I’m in the market for a LC or LX. TIA

For a brief period, I considered a 16+ LX to build instead of a 16+ LC. There are a couple of reasons I didn't, but it was mostly due to the longer term resale value of a built LX vs. the LC and how much faster the LX depreciates the first couple of years of life. Like John said, the LX in recent years has crept to about $10-15k more than the LC, so it theoretically should cost more than an LC of the same year and mileage.

The LX I was interested in was a 16 with ~19k miles (fully loaded including rear cooled seats and HUD), and it sat at a Maserati dealer for at least 6 months. The price was $78k, then $75k, then $73k, and I drove it when it was at $70k. They insinuated they could go lower, and at that point I could tell they wanted the thing off their lot. I'll bet I could have purchased at ~$67-$68k, which IMO is a pretty great deal (I'm pretty sure it went to auction). The way I looked at however is that it had a sticker of $98k and had dropped $30k in value in 19k miles. A brand new LC that one can buy for ~$77k would take probably 3x longer to depreciate $30k, and it's a FAR easier sale. The older LXs are a value, but the newer ones just don't offer the same value proposition if you have any intention of modding, wheeling, etc. I actually do think the LX from an objective standpoint offers more, but if we're being honest a lot of our decisions are based even more on subjective things like how we perceive it and how "cool" it is.

Folks comparing to LCs need to realize in the most recent years LX prices increased and he could be referencing a vehicle that tagged $97k MSRP when new. I'm seeing NADA retail at $66,7k. How that relates to what the market is, I'm not sure, but above comment seems to think it is not out of line.

I agree with all if this. People certainly pay NADA, that’s how they get those numbers. People also buy them lower and higher, I’ve always shopped the country and flown to the best deal. Sure it adds to the cost that I did not include but I enjoy road trips to places I probably wouldn’t ever see otherwise (Fargo ND, Upstate NY).

If it’s the vehicle you want and you just want it now, buy it. It’s certainly not a bad deal, my opinion is just that you could probably find it cheaper but it may take 4 months and 1k mile drive home.

Seems a pretty good price, compared to LXs for sale in KS (omit rentals/auction transfers from NE US/accident records => that was most of the used LX570s near me.)

While we were considering < 2016, I found 3 2015 Lexus CPOs here in KS. $66K w/7K miles (CA transplant). another local w/50K, for $59K. another w/55K for $55K. There had been a 2014 in Nebraska w/49K on all the usual search engines that's been up for auction/$49K since Sept. Dealer with great eBay feedback & lifetime powertrain warranty. The bidding on eBay got up to ~ $36K at least twice. When I found it began life in NE US & had been bought @ auction, w/no pics of undercarriage, I lost interest.

It's possible OP's mentioned price may also be priced accordingly to the season. Now that fall/winter is here, my hunch is that price of AWD/4WD SUVs trend up slightly; similarly, pricing for sports cars trend down as it gets away from spring/summer (ie. Porsche 911s are harder to sell during fall/winter and the price is reflective as such). Similarly 4WD/AWD SUVs may increase a little more during fall/winter due to all weather practicality.

just as an fyi here is what the 16's are going for at auction

32106656038_a8c4f5cb2a_z.jpg

They really do hold their value!

I think if you’re planning wheels/rack/ drawers for unimproved roads and camping, the 13-15 LX is the best deal right now. They’re at a substantial discount from LCs, and for regular usage, the interior and AHC are improvements over the LC. If you’re building a truck to wheel or multi-week overlanding, it’s obviously different.

This all assumes you can stomach the look of the LX. I swallowed hard and bought one. Love the truck but still prefer the look of the LC.

just as an fyi here is what the 16's are going for at auction

32106656038_a8c4f5cb2a_z.jpg

Wow. Those auction prices "validate" the ridiculous prices I saw on rebuilders (> $50K).

I can't imagine a dealer flipping any of those LXs to anyone being advised on purchase price by ih8mudders. :idea:

Wow. Those auction prices "validate" the ridiculous prices I saw on rebuilders (> $50K).

I can't imagine a dealer flipping any of those LXs to anyone being advised on purchase price by ih8mudders. :idea:

Used to have a small dealership with a buddy as a hobby and I can say dealers do not always get best pricing because its an auction. Generally its convenience as there is no running around chasing cars and they are guaranteed which is nice if you are buying higher end cars. Most times if you hunt around you can find better deals privately party which is how I buy and tell folks to buy when looking used. However later model ones are sometimes harder to find private party.

I shopped for a long time for a LC or LX and from what I saw the LX is almost always $8-10k more than the LC. Especially the 16+ LX. I went for a 16 LC because I wanted the updated interior and front end but if the price was the same I would have gone with the LX because i'm not doing any serious off road.

You are also right on the auction prices. When I bought the LC last month I got ahold of the paperwork from the auction where they bought it (sales guy was off gathering info for me so I did a little snooping through his desk paper work and swiped the auction paper work). They paid $57,500 for the thing and then paid to get it certified, put 2 front calipers on it and gave it a (s***ty) detail. I can't imaging they made more than $500 or $1000 on that thing. They seemed to really want my FJ though and I suspect that's where they made their money on the deal. They had it on the lot the next week for $4k more than they gave me and it was gone pretty quick.

Yup, the price gap seems about the same at auction. I think what leads to the higher retail prices dealers charge on the LC is there are fewer examples. Just looking back to October there were 3 times as many LX sold at auction vs. the LC

44174950970_bc2b35b50d_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom