Accelerator Pump Lever, what am I missing?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Fellers,

I rebuilt the carb on my 87 LC a few weeks ago and took it for a spin/stumble around the block and barely made it back. While looking it over I noticed the lever for the accelerator pump plunger doesn't move up with the rod when throttle is pressed. It takes about 5 seconds for the spring to move the lever up to the pin on the rod. Am I missing a washer or something around the lever/rod or could this be something at the plunger? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
20181015_191639.jpg
20181015_191637.jpg

Hey Fellers,

I rebuilt the carb on my 87 LC a few weeks ago and took it for a spin/stumble around the block and barely made it back. While looking it over I noticed the lever for the accelerator pump plunger doesn't move up with the rod when throttle is pressed. It takes about 5 seconds for the spring to move the lever up to the pin on the rod. Am I missing a washer or something around the lever/rod or could this be something at the plunger? Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1810902 View attachment 1810904
Possibly one washer under that clip but not enough to make a huge difference. What ACC pump did you put in the carb? Was it rubbery or leather that you soaked for a few hours in 90wt oil?

Also you don’t need the pivoting bolt super tight.... loosen it up after we determine what ACC pump you put in there.

I believe it was a red leather type plunger.. and I bet that's my problem right there! Geez :( I'm still learning all this and guess I skipped over that step of lubing it. It seemed great when I first put it back together but it must have got a little sticky in the hole! Do you think it would be fine to take it off and soak it now or should I get a new one?

Leather is right. Yes pull it out and soak it for a few hours. I would ‘imagine’ it’s fine to reuse but that’s your call.

The spring on the linkage should have a washer above and below it. There are some flat tabs on the linkage to catch the washer and spring. That should keep it under tension. Looks like your spring is pulled down over the tabs? Fix this and the lever will come up to the top where the retainer clip is.

upload_2018-10-15_22-23-57.png

The spring on the linkage should have a washer above and below it. There are some flat tabs on the linkage to catch the washer and spring. That should keep it under tension. Looks like your spring is pulled down over the tabs? Fix this and the lever will come up to the top where the retainer clip is.

View attachment 1811062
Thanks G-man! looking over it again, it seems I am missing a washer on the bottom. Going to soak the plunger and add a washer and I should be good to go!

There is indeed a spring under the plunger but when all hope seemed lost I finally discovered what the issue was. The plunger that came with the rebuild kit was a bit shorter than the original. I put the old one back on and works great now. At first glance they look the same size but setting them side by side I don't know how I missed the difference!

There is indeed a spring under the plunger but when all hope seemed lost I finally discovered what the issue was. The plunger that came with the rebuild kit was a bit shorter than the original. I put the old one back on and works great now. At first glance they look the same size but setting them side by side I don't know how I missed the difference!
How much a difference? Did you take a photo or measure it? And definitely curious which brand kit it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom