Starter click after driving through water? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been driving through SC flood waters the past few days, nothing crazy, maybe 2' max. Today it wouldn't crank at first, just a click. Battery is good. Finally started after many tries. I'm thinking it has to be water related, because never a hint of trouble before. Are there any known relays or connections I should check first? Or maybe the starter contacts just picked a great time to act up!

The starter relay. Scroll down a couple post, it'll show you the location and how to test the starter relay. I also experience a similar problem too, my starter relay was good. I think it might be the contact points or the actual starter.

Starter Replacement - Semi Realtime Help

Starter is located above the block so it is hard to get water there. Do you see water between the two cylinder banks?

Make sure you didn't cook our alternator. That could cause a no start if it drained your battery.

I own a 1999 LX470, original owner. If it's the original starter in your vehicle, the solenoid starter contacts go bad in time (they all eventually fail, regardless of care or condition of vehicle, it's a known issue), solution is to replace the starter. It's located in the valley on top of the engine underneath the intake manifold. So, it *could* be coincidental if it's the original starter on a 1999 vehicle.

That said, you can go to Advanced Auto Parts or O'Reilly and they will test your starting and charging system for free. Their equipment will tell you if your battery, alternator and starter are working properly.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like it's just my time to dig in and replace the contacts or starter. Should be fun.

I would bet its the crankshaft position sensor its located at the bottom of the engine drivers side. I believe i lost mine after a swim

Replace the contacts, or save your oem starter. Aftermarket starters and alternators are truly garbage compared to oem denso. All my 3 tototas got the factory starter and I get contacts when needed. Oldest starter is 26 years old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom