2006 LX470 - Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I got the attached pic from the dealer. Sales rep says there is minor rust on the frame-exhaust hood. Is that okay or looking bad?

IMG_5023.JPG

Welcome. This is a widely-discussed issue here.

If that's a northern car, not all that bad. Need better pics though.

Really comes down to price and whether you're comfortable with the rust or not, whether you're willing to travel to get a car, etc etc. Personally I chose to pass up vehicles with rust and go for a rust-free one. You may not care as much about it as I did.

Let us know a bit more about your situation.

Actually this doesnt look so bad. I have seen some rust buckets. But I would post some more pics. But @Pyrenees is right. It all depends on your preference on how much are you willing to take in terms of rust and how much will you pay for that. Some will not some don't care as much.

IMO rust is the only thing you can't just replace and fix....once it starts you'll be chasing it forever.

That is not bad for a PA vehicle. If you spend some time underthere treating it or if it is high miles and you plan on just running it into the ground then you are fine. They all rust up north. That is not bad. The two I bought were about like that after 70 and 90k miles in midwest climates. Get a drill with a wire wheel or two and treat it with a good rust convertor then paint or seal it with flexfluid you are good to go. If you plan on working on it then those bolts will be a workout but up north that is all they know. DRIVE IT!!!!!!

Thanks for you suggestions. I was able to download the Lexus report and scan through it. Car has excellent dealer service records. Customer thinks transmission is failing. That looks scary. What is your opinion on this?

VSC OFF LIGHT IS ON CAR HAS A LOSS OF POWER, AND FEELS LIKE CAR IS HESITATING. CUSTOMER STATES ALM ~|~VSC OFF LIGHT IS ON CAR HAS A LOSS OF POWER, AND FEELS LIKE CAR IS HESITATING. CUSTOMER STATES ALMOST LIKE THE TRANSMISSION IS STARTING TO FAIL. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.

PLEASE REPLACE THE FUEL YOU USE. THERE WILL BC/S CHECK TRANSMISSION CUSTOMER STATES FEELS LIKE IT INTERMITTENTLY SLIPS AND DELAYED ENGAGEMENT ~|~C/S CHECK TRANSMISSION CUSTOMER STATES FEELS LIKE IT INTERMITTENTLY SLIPS AND DELAYED ENGAGEMENT ~|~ ~|~21500 PERFORMED A SERIES OF TESTS AND PROCEDURES ROAD TEST VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY AND CITY AND DID NOT FEEL ANY SLIPPING OR DELAY, INSPECTED FLUID FLUID IS GOOD NOT THIN AND NO PARTICULATE SCANNED TRANS COMPUTER ALL OK , CHECKED ALL EXTERNAL CONTROLS AND WIREC/S CHECK TRANSMISSION CUSTOMER STATES FEELS LIKE IT INTERMITTENTLY SLIPS AND DELAYED ENGAGEMENTNON-SYNTHETIC OIL AND FILTER CHANGE, CHECK FLUID LEVELS, TIRE PRESSURES AND TREAD DEPTH

I doubt it has a transmission issue. Most likely some engine issue causing a fault. Even a coil miss fire can be intermittent making it feel as if transmission slipping. Sometime these coils aren't totally bad and will misfire only under load, not happening enough to kick on a CEL. VSC OFF happens with most any issue.

For me personally I'd not take a second look if from rust belt, which (poor) picture indicates it is.

Fair disclosure: I do have one 00LX 350K miles on it with some rust. It works me harder and cost me more in parts then a rust free rigs would, and it's rust isn't that bad. It's resell value is very limited due to rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom