Diesel fuel additive shelf life? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd expect that it is similar to the situation with brake fluid. That once opened, it is going to absorb some amount of water over time. Low humidity and keeping it sealed well will help.

G'Day Fella's,

Yes indeed PAToyota, opened containers will absorb atmospheric moisture.

I was away bush recently, and in the 7 hour drive there and back, I had a bit of time to think.
When next I get some non Alpine Diesel fuel, I will test some by placing it in the freezer (or leave it outside).
I will see if it seperates/turns to wax, and then add some Chem-Tech, and see if and what effect this might have?

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

I haven't quite had a chance of doing as mentioned above, but I did stick the same/existing container of Diesel, Water and Chem-Tech (The Brew), in the freezer, a week ago.

Here's what I found...........
It was obviously cold in there (Minus 17.1 * C), but it should be Minus 18* C, for a home freezer, so I'll have to adjust that.
DSCN2860.JPG

You can see that The Brew, is still liquid but it has thickened up and changed colour.
DSCN2861.JPG

DSCN2863.JPG

This is what it now looks like, after a few hours outside, in up to +15* C temperetures, but it now looks like the colour of Beer and or Honey now?
DSCN2864.JPG

So I think the couple of liters of Chem-Tech I have, is still good for the job at hand.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom