amazon or eBay snorkel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone has used the different snorkels that can be found on amazon or eBay? I know the arb or safari are the best ones to use. For the price difference I don't see the big deal for the extra $200 . They all do the same thing.

Just let me know your quality and fitment issues with these cheaper snorkels.

I ordered the TMS snorkel from Amazon last night. Out of stock right now but $60 can't be beat. A lot of people here use and recommend them.

I have an eBay one. Works for me. If it didn't come on the truck when I bought it, I wouldn't have bought one on my own.

Debated to death here, but Im in the $70 knock off circle and have had zero issues EXCEPT the template the hardware rusting. The dorkel itself is fine.

Got mine off eBay 4+ years ago and zero issues.

A cheap snorkel would have saved my buddies 2uz from death 2 weeks ago. Started raining and slid off the trail into a ditch. Water in the intake and rod out the side of the block. Call then dorkles all you want (he laughed at mine) but when you stick one in a deep spot you will be glad you had it.

Never occurred to me to look for a knock off snorkel...

Both my 60 and 80 will get one. Driving around Houston could force a water crossing where there was a road a few hours before.

Never heard of a snorkel. What are they for?

Never occurred to me to look for a knock off snorkel...

Both my 60 and 80 will get one. Driving around Houston could force a water crossing where there was a road a few hours before.
If it's deep enough to get in your intake you shouldn't be crossing it. That's pretty much over your hood, and usually moving fast. However, I've never heard of a snorkel causing a problem, so no reason not to add them.

If it's deep enough to get in your intake you shouldn't be crossing it. That's pretty much over your hood, and usually moving fast. However, I've never heard of a snorkel causing a problem, so no reason not to add them.

Mostly a joke as I avoid when possible, but I would still like to have the added safety net. During Harvey, we were basically trapped in our neighborhood. I want options, and at $70/ea, an ebay snorkel and some extra fuel line for the diffs/trans/xfer open up a couple of new ones.

Lost a 40 motor during a river crossing when I found a soft spot in the sand. Water that was just up to the doors ended up mid chest. Not fun.

Mostly a joke as I avoid when possible, but I would still like to have the added safety net. During Harvey, we were basically trapped in our neighborhood. I want options, and at $70/ea, an ebay snorkel and some extra fuel line for the diffs/trans/xfer open up a couple of new ones.

Lost a 40 motor during a river crossing when I found a soft spot in the sand. Water that was just up to the doors ended up mid chest. Not fun.
If you want to increase your ford-ability take a look at your distributor as well, there are vents that if wetted will shut you down. That comes into play as soon as the fan gets wet.

There are lots of poorly designed intakes (most?), unfortunately some are from Toyota, fortunately the '80 has a very nicely designed and executed intake. It will easily ford to the door handles, on mine that is over 4 feet of water. At that depth there are a bunch of things that will take it out, long before the dorkel will help.

I have been sitting in the seat, waist deep in water and didn't get a drop in the intake. Done fordings, where I can dip my elbow in the water outside of the window/door. Have sunk them deep enough that water poured out of the doors when recovered, intake dry. On some vehicles something is needed to do even basic fording, on the '80, for almost all users, it's a decoration, dorkel. :meh:
water.jpg

1-21-2017_12.jpg

I ordered the TMS snorkel from Amazon last night. Out of stock right now but $60 can't be beat. A lot of people here use and recommend them.

There was another vender on amazon that has them in stock for $65.

If you want to increase your ford-ability take a look at your distributor as well, there are vents that if wetted will shut you down. That comes into play as soon as the fan gets wet.
Simple vent line will take care of the dizzy

There are lots of poorly designed intakes (most?), unfortunately some are from Toyota, fortunately the '80 has a very nicely designed and executed intake. It will easily ford to the door handles, on mine that is over 4 feet of water. At that depth there are a bunch of things that will take it out, long before the dorkel will help.

I have been sitting in the seat, waist deep in water and didn't get a drop in the intake. Done fordings, where I can dip my elbow in the water outside of the window/door. Have sunk them deep enough that water poured out of the doors when recovered, intake dry. On some vehicles something is needed to do even basic fording, on the '80, for almost all users, it's a decoration, dorkel. :meh:
View attachment 1749376
View attachment 1749377

A “decoration”? Pretty obvious you’ve never done any serious time in the desert! Snorkels are a lot more beneficial in the dry, sandy s*** than in the water. Try running as rear security behind a pack of Cruisers, then come tell me about your “decoration”.

A “decoration”? Pretty obvious you’ve never done any serious time in the desert! Snorkels are a lot more beneficial in the dry, sandy s*** than in the water. Try running as rear security behind a pack of Cruisers, then come tell me about your “decoration”.

Have wheeled in the desert a few times, done my fair share of tail gunning, sometimes for a solid week at a time, have done 100+ trail days a year. My air filter goes ~3yrs/35K+ mi before needing to be cleaned, the dorkel rigs on the same runs don't do significantly better. Again, the '80 intake is very well designed, as long as the tuna can is occasionally dumped, the filter life is very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom