Rear leaf spring not fitting in hanger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
replacing leaf springs on the fj40 and the fronts were no problem but the rears do not want to go in well enough to align pin. I’ve tried everything and just can’t get it to fit. Seems to tight at the top of the hanger. Any suggestions? Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Thanks

00AB713C-4F55-4AA1-80EA-EC66CE131C22.jpeg
F61C1101-342F-4D66-9CA7-2F06D60CDF6C.jpeg

Are the springs the same width as OEM?

Are the sides of the hanger bent inwards? Put a big f'in crescent wrench on a side and straighten it out.

That photo doesn't show a stock spring, as I don't see a military wrap.

I agree with Dizzy, that you want to do the hanger end before you do the shackle end, but with neither end attached you should be able to set that spring up in the hanger all the way.

That photo doesn't show a stock spring, as I don't see a military wrap.

I agree with Dizzy, that you want to do the hanger end before you do the shackle end, but with neither end attached you should be able to set that spring up in the hanger all the way.
Are the springs the same width as OEM?

Are the sides of the hanger bent inwards? Put a big f'in crescent wrench on a side and straighten it out.

Did that. Could be bent higher than I can get. The original owner liked to mash on rocks lol.

Not oem. Pro comp. that’s the rear hanger. I did same order of operations. Hanger then shackle. Front were no problem rear is giving me a headache

I would use a grinder to skinny down the sides of the spring. Using the plastic bushings and greased shackle pins this stuff should go together with finger and thumb pressure. I've done it on my '70 & '79. I know that removing and trying to re-use Toyota rubber bushings and standard pins is a nightmare to re-assemble. But what you have should go together smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom