landcruiser portal boxes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Copy_of_NEW_PRESS_RELEASE_PICS_001.JPG

A picture really does say 1000 words!

But evidentally each of those words costs you!

Portal Axles Generation III Quote
Every standard axle setup will include the following:
Wilwood disc brakes (heavy duty vented rotor, caliper, and pads)
Drive plate or manual locking hub assembly
Loaded Portal-Tek portal boxes
4340 axle shafts custom built CV Shafts
Custom width SpiderTrax 3 1/2" housings
Center section (Ring and pinon gears, bearings and seals)
F-450 Unit Bearing
High mount steering setup

Standard Axle Pricing: MSRP-- Front Axle : $8,499
Rear Axle: $6,999
Standard axle setups will include the following options:
4340 axle and stub shafts
340 CV Shaft or U-Joint Option
4 Piston Wilwood brakes

Axle upgrades:
300M upper shafts: $1500 PER AXLE
300M lower shafts: $600 PER AXLE
Locker options:
ARB Front Locker: $890.00
ARB Rear Locker: $890.00
ARB Compressor Large: $250.00 Small: $175.00
Detroit Locker (per axle): $550.00
Tru Trac Locker: (per axle): $500.00
Wilwood Dual Calipers: $300 per axle
Central Tire Inflation: $2,200 per set
HD spindle option upgrade: $1,500
Lug pattern: 5x5.5, 6x5.5: $1000
Stainless steel brake lines: $240

Phew, you're looking at buying 2 or 3 'cruisers for that price!

Alan's 100 series that is on their site was for sale on the bay last spring for about 20K, so basically the cost of the axles.

On the Portal-Tec thing, if your thinking about purchasing from them, do some research on how many they have actuality delivered. Other than some one-off, hand made promotional axles (Podvin's, a competition rock crawler, etc) the number of production axles delivered is close to or zero.

On the Portal-Tec thing, if your thinking about purchasing from them, do some research on how many they have actuality delivered. Other than some one-off, hand made promotional axles (Podvin's, a competition rock crawler, etc) the number of production axles delivered is close to or zero.

I can't imagine there are many people willing to drop $20+ grand, when they can use a volvo or mog portal for half to a quarter of that.

Good point. I wouldn't think a lot of people would be willing to drop that kind of cash for axles when time tested volvo/unimog axles are readily available.

The problem with mog axles is that they are too low geared, too heavy, and too difficult ($$$) to modify for use in a Landcruiser (pinion kit, etc.). The Volvo portals are really difficult to find in the desirable 5.99 ratio. If someone has a source for Volvo axles in a 5.99 flavor stateside I would LOVE to hear about it because I would really like some.

The problem with mog axles is that they are too low geared, too heavy, and too difficult ($$$) to modify for use in a Landcruiser (pinion kit, etc.). The Volvo portals are really difficult to find in the desirable 5.99 ratio. If someone has a source for Volvo axles in a 5.99 flavor stateside I would LOVE to hear about it because I would really like some.

i've got to answer this- but just about every point you make is wrong!

These are mine Unimog 404 Portal axles (for use with landrover etc) on eBay, also, Land Rover, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 23-Nov-08 17:53:02 GMT)

and didn't cost a fortune to buy or modify and would be easy to fit to a landcruiser!

I would think that if you are going with portal's on an 80 you are probably talking to a few select folks who probably have the cash to drop. I would imagine you are talking about very dedicated rock-crawling 80 enthusiasts.

I can't see the average weekend off-roader or even an expedition style rig needing these things. I could be wrong though...now don't get me wrong those are awesome. But, with lockers, a moderate lift, and 315 tires I would imagine 99.5% of 80 drivers are going to get around just fine...throw in a winch and you are probably taking care of 99.8% of folks and their requirements.

Cheers.

- Mark

The reason I am looking into it is I think its the easest way. I looked at Mog 404s and yes they could be made to fit at with Volvo ones. But then theres the fab work, converting to disks, regearing the diffs and parts supply. Volvo and Mog portals are easer to get over here.

So with a bolt on type this would be much easer. Yes its still going to cost a bit, but less that comverting any other axle, plus I know I have seem them somewhere!!

Paul

eggsactly. Search on the hardcore section. There is one guy waiting now that has had his truck at their shop for several years still not finished.

It is on pause now because he has run out of money.

Mark's did them for a Nissan Patrol. Maybe this is what you were thinking of.

Nissan Portals

No not them, but along the same lines.

I have found the ones for D60 axles for $6495. That is for a 4WS set. They are looking into makeing them for other axles. They have a 1.5-1 reduction.

Paul

I would have to say that this information quoted above is not accurate. We did build a beta test set for Mr. Podvin as well as a test set for the Caddy on Dubbs truck that raced in the last King of the Hammers event. Both of those individuals are cruiser heads and members of Mud. Our axles are definitely a production assembly and not one-off. Please feel free to check out pictures of our production line at : PortalTek - Generation III Portal Box Ends
As far as price goes our axle assemblies are priced to be competitive with Dynatrac, Tera Flex, and Spidertrax. We do sell our components for fabricators that are looking to build a custom axle set. However our components are structured to work with a Ford 9" platform. The biggest problem that one faces with a Toyota portal application is the gear ratios that are available in the ring and pinion. Most portal axles have a ~ 1.50:1 / 2.0:1 range of gear reduction in the portal box. You would most likely end up with a final gear ratio that would not be too friendly on the pavement. The second problem is that the knuckles on all of the Toyota axles that I have ever seen are welded to the housing. I have yet to see a spherical knuckle that bolts on to the housing in the same manner that some Land Rover axles do. This would really eliminate the possibility of a true bolt on portal kit for the 80. I would be interested to know if Toyota ever manufactured gears that are in the 2.50 to 3.25 range, that will work with a Land Cruiser third member. If something in this range was possible we could have a Toyota based portal axle built on a Diamond housing tomorrow complete with chromoly CV's and all. Paul- if you do find what you are talking about please PM me. It would be very neat to see. If you would like to know any more tech on anything portal related please let me know. If you are curious to see some of our product in person please contact our U.K. distributor Jez. Jez@FlyingSpanners.net. He is a brilliant fabricator and a good guy. He is also extremely familiar with Volvo axles. He might be able to come up with a cost effective solution for your 80.

Cheers :cheers:

-Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I do know Jez from lr4x4.com. But I am sure the ones I did fine were made by Toyota.

But I think the Landcruiser that looks a Hummer has portals fitted as well.

Paul

Last edited:
Marks adapters I have been working with them on parking brake solutions pm me the more of us that want them the more Feasible it will be for them

I am looking into the "idea" of fitting somethink like portal drop boxes to me 80 series.

I seem to remember reading they someone made them to bolt stright on to the LC axle. But I cannot find where I have read it. I have done a search, but can only find Unimog or Volvo info.

I want to keep the Toyota axles as I have FF lockers.

Paul

@Paul_Humphreys , I am the distributor for all Tibus Off road products and they make a Toyota Bolt on Portal. Most of my business is for the Mercedes G wagon Portals, but if you are interested in a set for your Toyota, shoot me a PM and we can discuss further. They will provide 125mm of lift on just the portal (4.9").

@Paul_Humphreys , I am the distributor for all Tibus Off road products and they make a Toyota Bolt on Portal. Most of my business is for the Mercedes G wagon Portals, but if you are interested in a set for your Toyota, shoot me a PM and we can discuss further. They will provide 125mm of lift on just the portal (4.9").

csm_Tibus_Bolt_on_Portal_Toyota_ee0aa9dd47.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom