Need an engine bay "ignition on" wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a '94 but have to add daytime running lights for the inspection. I need a ignition on wire to splice into to triggered the DRL, ideally near the battery or at least in the engine bay.

I think the oil pressure sending wire might work (just above the filter?) - but the wire it pretty difficult to get at. I've also poked around the engine bay fuse box but can't find anything that is solely ignition on...

suggestions appreciated! thanks

auxiliary battery and winch

In the middle of the article he mentions a trigger wire that is in the fusebox.

"A solenoid based system is rather simpler and the 80 series provides a signal that is ideal to control it. One of the issues with a solenoid based system is how to activate the solenoid. There is a signal available in the engine bay fuse box (just behind the main battery) that indicates that the alternator is providing charge current (we'll call it Alternator Good). This signal is used to activate a warning light in the instrument panel if the alternator ever fails. This signal becomes active (+12V) several seconds after the engine is running and the alternator is producing charging current. A spade fuse splice/tap enables you to get easy access to this signal and to run a small gauge wire (14 gauge is perfectly adequate) to the solenoid coil. Click here to see a picture identifying the fuse connection."

I like the idea of this wire because it will only be on when the engine is running. Which would be nice for DRLs.. but there are probably a bunch more switched options in the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom