Brake Light Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
landsharkblog.com
I am having a problem with my 76 FJ40 brake light. All of the other lights on the vehicle work, except the brakes. I have checked the bulbs and those are not the problem.

I have searched and read some old posts on this topic, but I am having trouble disconnecting the brake light switch to see if that's the problem. Attached is what is on my vehicle. It appears that the little metal tabs need to be moved back so that the switch can be removed, but I can't quite get them peeled back.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

brake light switch.jpg

I am having a problem with my 76 FJ40 brake light. All of the other lights on the vehicle work, except the brakes. I have checked the bulbs and those are not the problem.

I have searched and read some old posts on this topic, but I am having trouble disconnecting the brake light switch to see if that's the problem. Attached is what is on my vehicle. It appears that the little metal tabs need to be moved back so that the switch can be removed, but I can't quite get them peeled back.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

View attachment 1682119

The switch is screwed into the 12mm hex nut ( visible in your photo ) that is spot welded to your peddle box frame assy.

there should be another 12mm hex nut between your switch and the spot welded one , this is your adjustment & lock-down nut , It is unclear from your photo if U have one or not ?

simply twist the entire brake light switch assy box / body counter clockwise , it should come out with relative ease once U loosen the lock down nut

if U dont have a lock down nut for some reason , the switch might be simply finger tight , The absence of your lock down nut , and if the switch is fully screwed in all the way , may be the actual reason why your brake lights dont work o_O

DON'T open those tabs! The switch will fall apart.
Follow the wiring and you'll find a connector. See below.
Image-31.JPG

Rudi

Thanks for all of the info. I tried to trace the wiring to find the connector, but it is really tight up under there and it is like a rats nest. I'll keep at it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom