Cruiser shopping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted in the 80 forum when I started looking at cruisers, and I'm also considering the 100 series. Honestly, at this point, I think the 100 series would be a better fit - lower miles, better for towing, little more comfortable etc.

Top of the budget is $10k.

There are two I want to look at this weekend, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think about them:

Land Cruiser

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series

Cheers!

For the money asked they both look like reasonable options. The green one for 10k
looks much better than the 5k one (which it should). You will probably have to spend more
on the 5k one to make it reliable but that is factored into the price. Just remember these
100s can be very expensive to repair/restore, but if you don't care about cosmetics, 100s and 80s (and even 60s) will
go on for ever with minimal upkeep as my home town is full of all three models in ratty condition, all running fine.

For the money asked they both look like reasonable options. The green one for 10k
looks much better than the 5k one (which it should). You will probably have to spend more
on the 5k one to make it reliable but that is factored into the price. Just remember these
100s can be very expensive to repair/restore, but if you don't care about cosmetics, 100s and 80s (and even 60s) will
go on for ever with minimal upkeep as my home town is full of all three models in ratty condition, all running fine.

That's about what I was thinking, thank you! I've contacted the owner of the green cruiser, planning on checking it out this week.

Came across this listing today 2000 Lexus SUV LX470 great shape
It looks pretty good, though how difficult/expensive are those wood panel inlays to replace? Not sure they're my favorite. Timing belt has not been done, owner claims no rust

Last edited:
That's about what I was thinking, thank you! I've contacted the owner of the green cruiser, planning on checking it out this week.

Came across this listing today 2000 Lexus SUV LX470 great shape
It looks pretty good, though how difficult/expensive are those wood panel inlays to replace? Not sure they're my favorite. Timing belt has not been done, owner claims no rust
Never seen that color... and it says custom...:cautious:

Never seen that color... and it says custom...:cautious:
Hahaha, I think I've seen some in that color before, I looked at it today, rust free and everything's tight. Going to have it checked out on Wednesday hopefully

You can see the original color inside the door jambs. Definitely "custom". Not always a bad thing, but it can sometimes be an indicator that it was either vandalized or in an accident, etc. Just one more thing you can probe the seller to talk about.

00z0z_jXbNmTgBh2c_1200x900.jpg

Oh
You can see the original color inside the door jambs. Definitely "custom". Not always a bad thing, but it can sometimes be an indicator that it was either vandalized or in an accident, etc. Just one more thing you can probe the seller to talk about.

View attachment 1662960

Oh wow, good call. I did not notice that

If it was originally Bronze, that color has been known to fade and even peel as it was put on too thin at the factory and the sun damaged it.
I would Not be surprised if I heard that was the reason for this repaint.

What is the significance of having the air ride suspension? We're looking at that LX470 and the green Land Cruiser in the original post - the main difference I can tell is auto climate control and the air ride stuff (ride height, firmness of suspension, etc). Can someone give me a quick rundown of the differences and if the air ride is a good thing to have?

What is the significance of having the air ride suspension?

NO Land Cruiser or LX 100 or 200 series ever had AIR suspension. It is hydraulic and much more reliable. The Lexus GX has air suspension in the 470 and maybe 460 just toconfuse us.

NO Land Cruiser or LX 100 or 200 series ever had AIR suspension. It is hydraulic and much more reliable. The Lexus GX has air suspension in the 470 and maybe 460 just toconfuse us.

Ah, my bad. How much can it raise or lower the vehicle? Is it a worthwhile feature?

Ah, my bad. How much can it raise or lower the vehicle? Is it a worthwhile feature?
1.8" up and only stays that way under 30 mph, the lowering feature is for while it's in park ...loading/ unloading.

1.8" up and only stays that way under 30 mph, the lowering feature is for while it's in park ...loading/ unloading.

That is actually kind of nice... my fiancee has some back issues so the lower the better. She wants to keep the running boards on the LX we're looking at... that's a no, but maybe the hydraulics will make the difference.

That is actually kind of nice... my fiancee has some back issues so the lower the better. She wants to keep the running boards on the LX we're looking at... that's a no, but maybe the hydraulics will make the difference.
The boards are lit up and also the ground at night which will help with older folks. To be honest I would rather not have it because it will break, but while it works it's really is nice. I just bought my first 100 series (LX) this weekend, so I know what the search is like. My advice:Stay away from all cars from above The Manson-Nixon (TM), no matter how pretty the pics look. Rust just can't be fixed.

Made a deal on this cruiser! We took it to LTS motors yesterday and had them do a thorough inspection. It needs the timing belt done yesterday (apparently its never been done), and needs new front accumulators (and a few other minor things), but otherwise it is in really good shape, much better than any other cruiser we've looked at, even with fewer miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom