Making mounts for a SBC-SM465-NP203-NP205 setup, advice needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Finishing up my powertrain and trying to decide on how to mount it all up. Up front on the SBC it's straight forwards. I'm tempted to make the rear support go between the 203 and 205. I'm also tempted to tie an additional support from the rear of the 205 into that rear cross mount, hopefully helping to relive any excessive torque. So essentially 4 points of contact to the frame. Having another support would be nice but I don't feel that frame is stiff enough to hold shape off road. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

I know that you should only use two mounting points. One for the engine and then one for the trany and transfer case. There is something about adding an additional mount that causes (not alleviates) torque friction between the mounts. It basically causes the cases to work their way loose constantly.

Three mounting points. 2 front engine mounts and a single rubber mount under the transmission or t-case. The 2 engine mts are the torque arrestors, and the trans mount just holds up the weight of everything. As mentioned, attempting to add more mounts to the powerteam will just put things in a bind as everything flexes under load.

Problem is your frame is way too flexible for 3 point mounting, those who have done this have ripped motor mounts apart. I like the transfer-case rear propeller mount because you have a side thrusting transfer-case (always trying to turn around in a circle behind the tranny) and the rear propeller mount design arrest the torque twisting.

Problem is your frame is way too flexible for 3 point mounting, those who have done this have ripped motor mounts apart.
The whole reason for 3 pt mount is because the frame is flexible.
That's the reason that beds are mounted on Unimog with only 3 pts.
3-legged stools don't wobble.

3 is the magic number.

I can't believe I just wasted 3 minutes watching a video about magic number 3.
Thanks for the entertainment and the strange looks I got from my wife.

@FJ40Jim I like the idea of three points, however, I'm having a hard time visualizing how you would tie in some sort of arrestor for the rear transfer case. I'm worried with that doubler in there I might be putting a lot of rotation torque on the NP205 front output side.

Last edited:
The front mounts on the engine perform the tork arrest function. Put a single rubber mount under the 203. The 205 doesn't need rubber mounted because it is designed to hang off the back of a transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom