Minimalist vehicle-borne camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When deer, coyotes, bob cats, wombats, elephants, lions , tigers , bears , oh my , antelope use a wag bag then I might consider using one . My s**t is nothing special.:hillbilly:

Proper human waste disposal is definitely part of minimalist camping.

WAG bags are required in some areas, at least in California. In the Whitney Portal area, the rangers hand out Wag bags for backpackers and back country day hikers. An often ignored rule: Wag bags are mandatory for winter camping outside of campgrounds, anywhere in the Sierras. Even when not mandatory, WAG bags are just plain courteous when rock climbing. In deserts and high elevation areas, toilet paper and human waste takes years to decompose.

I took a liking to using WAG bags all the time when camping outside of established campgrounds and sometimes even at some campgrounds. WAG bags when properly used are way better than stinky outhouses. I got sick and tired of seeing bits of toilet paper and other things in the wilds because a few irresponsible people don't dig deep enough holes and often the soil is just too rocky. I'll do my part to keep the refuse out of the wilds.

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

4WD Swagman, I'm sure it's not just an Aussie thing but I have always preferred to travel/camp light.
Nothing worse than spending more than 10 minutes, setting up camp, only to pull it down to move to another location, the next day, etc.

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN2375.JPG

Proper human waste disposal is definitely part of minimalist camping.

WAG bags are required in some areas, at least in California. In the Whitney Portal area, the rangers hand out Wag bags for backpackers and back country day hikers. An often ignored rule: Wag bags are mandatory for winter camping outside of campgrounds, anywhere in the Sierras. Even when not mandatory, WAG bags are just plain courteous when rock climbing. In deserts and high elevation areas, toilet paper and human waste takes years to decompose.

I took a liking to using WAG bags all the time when camping outside of established campgrounds and sometimes even at some campgrounds. WAG bags when properly used are way better than stinky outhouses. I got sick and tired of seeing bits of toilet paper and other things in the wilds because a few irresponsible people don't dig deep enough holes and often the soil is just too rocky. I'll do my part to keep the refuse out of the wilds.
My son and a couple of his buddies did the High Sierra Trail in Sept. from Cressent meadow to Whitney and out at Whitney Portals. When we got the permit at Lodgepole the ranger did hand out wag bags.

Well, it all does depend on the trip duration and the expected weather conditions. Most of my oz trips tend to be around 2 weeks and that implies fuel/water/food for 2 weeks.

A fridge becomes nearly essential versus a luxury.

I cook over a fire (take a heavy duty homemade bbq plate), but in case of rain I also have a single burner multifuel stove). Camp oven is good for stews and also making bread.

The tailgate becomes part of the kitchen prep area, but still take a folding table for easy of prep work.

Decent camp chairs of course.

Large tarp and decent poles/pegs in case shade is needed or rain is about.

Tent, pads, sleeping bags etc. When it's raining a day or two - there is a lot to be said for having a decent tent where you can at least be dry along with your gear. Even in summer we've had rain come down for a couple of days, so no point second guessing the weather.

Clothes to deal with hot/cold/rain.

Typical camp setups:

Nice weather, no tarp needed. Food prep time.

weo2.jpg

HOT weather, so tarp is out to give us some shade to relax during the day.

thelma2.jpg

BBQ plate at work. Dinner getting cooked.

bbqp.jpg

Rain, rain, go away, come back another day :)

mntm.jpg

Simple camping in the US. Lots of shade and nice cool weather at around 6000'.

aug2k10b.jpg

When kids were younger, we would winter camp and sleep in the 80. Older son & I in the back and younger son 'across' the front seats (with a board forming a flat 'bed' across the seats/console).

Didn't need much stuff to camp.

sncmp.jpg

sn2k10j.jpg

Sometimes the simplest setups bring the most pleasure and memories...

cheer,
george.

When deer, coyotes, bob cats, wombats, elephants, lions , tigers , bears , oh my , antelope use a wag bag then I might consider using one . My s**t is nothing special.:hillbilly:

Same here... I trained Chester (my Golden Retriever) to serve as my handicap rail... my outdoor toilet is ADA compliant... a simple “Help me, Chester” and he assumes the position and provides complete stability, until the dirty deed is done. :poop:

:cheers:

I have found it is tough to cut gear when traveling with 4 people. The daughter needed a portable toilet and by the time I have 4 sleeping bags, 1 cot, tent, sleeping pads, chairs, chuck box, food and ARB fridge the rig is full. If I was solo I would have room to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom