looking at 93 2WD to buy tomorrow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tomorrow i am looking at a little 2WD pick up for my brother. It is a 93 2WD long bed super base model. Crank window, no power steering, no A/C, 22RE and 5spd. It is 200,000 miles on it. Faded pain but no rust. Looks like it might not have had much maintenance but as not been modded or messed with. I figure if it is sound as it is with some good PM it will be good basic around town transportation.

Is there anything special i should look for or avoid with these things? My brother has been reading some. Any slandered PM issues like timing chains or anything on the little 4 cylinder? Anything special to watch for with the 5 speed or anything else?

Check around the gas tank for how the frame looks.

Check around the gas tank for how the frame looks.
Especially the gap between the tank and the frame.

What part of the country are you? If the truck has lived anyplace where it snows, or near a beach, I would give it a good look-over for rust. Especially underneath (as Mudder said), and if possible, under the floor mats/carpet. A peak at the exhaust pipes can also give you a clue. Also, lots of flood damage vehicles out there right now. Beware. Any vehicle getting sold from the midwest, or a gulf coast state, should be looked at closely. Paying for a Carfax would be worth it.

I think the bottom line, is, well, the bottom line. How much is the truck, and how much money will be spent to get the truck where your brother will be happy with a good driver. With 200K it will most likely be time for a timing chain. Do you hear a rattle at start up? Oil in the radiator? What about other PM? Belts, hoses (water, vacuum, others), tune-up (plugs, wires, dizzy, PCV and grommet), color of brake/clutch fluid in the masters? Condition of brakes? How clean is it under the hood? Front crank seal leaking? Leaking from the bell housing (rear main seal)? Other leaks?

I guess my point is, ya, you could pick the truck up cheap ... then spend more than the purchase price getting it cleaned up and fixed. Granted, most if this stuff doesn't need to happen all at once and can be budgeted out over a few months. But, the money will get spent and you won't get it back on a resale.

You can get most stuff cheap at Rockauto.com. They sell Denso and AISIN aftermarket parts which are two of Toyota's OEM providers. Or you could just get cheap ... and get what you pay for. The other alternative would be one of the discount Toyota dealers you can find online. Usually these dealers offer parts 25% off list, plus shipping. Note that my discussion assumes your brother owns a wrench and socket set ... and knows how to use them. Paying mechanic rates will kill your wallet.

If your brother picks up the truck we are here to help. There is a wealth of RE knowledge on this site.

Last edited:
check the frame and listen for a rattle on start up from the timing cover. just as a general rule with used cars, especially if their older and cheaper, expect to put 1/3-1/2 of the purchase price back into it over the first year of ownership.

Thanks guys. The first one we looked at was CRAP!!!! We went and looked at another with high milage. It has some problems we need to dress but man did the motor run nice. Talked the guy down almost 30% and probably paid a little too much. but he likes it. When we sort out a few problem i think it will be a great little truck.

Pics, please.

Pictures will have to wait for my brother. On one side it is a sad little 1991 2wd with 267,000 on it, ripped up front seat, dirty interior, dents in the rear tailgate, dents in the front valance and worst part AWESOME late 80s aftermarket wheels.

On the up side it now has been rescued and will be loved, navy blue with white graphics short bed 2wd. no rust at all under it. Starts right up and purrs right along with no timing chain noise at all. My brother is on board with a heavy list of PM, all fluids, all belts, filters rebuild the entire front ball joints and bushings, wheel bearing, pads rotors and calipers and all steering joints, maybe box as well. It drives nice and straight but has a bunch of free play in the steering. Figure we should just do it all. Shifter has some play so we need that bushing as well. That all needs to be done ASAP. After that i will push for a coolant system redo.

Maybe we can get luck and find a not roached front bench seat and a set of OEM steel wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom